Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 87960 times)

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #345 on: December 25, 2013, 01:54:49 pm »

All of this hot air blowing about, while  bodies rot on the ground, and worse, water floods our mines.

I cannot believe that we sit here, picking noses and blowing about hot air about dead bodies while our mines, the very lifeblood of our society, fill with water.  Do none of you nobles care that our very way of life is currently slipping from our grasp?  Are none of you even the least bit concerned that we have no stone to complete these wonderous, useless idols you are proposing?

I propose that we either reclaim our current mines, or dig a new one.  All this talk of wondrous structures should wait until we have the materials to actually construct them. 

Of course, being nothing but a commoner, I'm sure that you highly intelligent nobles have some better plan.  Perhaps the stone for these constructions can be conjured from all the hot air floating about here...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 25, 2013, 02:04:38 pm »

Is a tower unacceptable based on our rules?  Perhaps it could form the basis of a keep?
Depends on a tower. An impregnable tower is not good, and should only be used in a situation when peasants are almost entirely annihilated, nobles are decimated and there is absolutely no hope of survival without cheating. Otherwise towers of realistic size and realistic design can be used at will as fortification cornerstones, remote lookouts, military supplies storage, etc...

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 25, 2013, 02:17:09 pm »

Sounds rather wasteful, unless it was for a noble or actual notable dwarf.
That may be, but as the loyal servants of the council we have to do what we can to fulfill the sacred decisions of the senators. The republican traditions should go far before any considerations of efficiency, economy or personal rivalry.

True, True, tis our blessing and curse to serve the verdict of the votes, regardless of personal qualms to the contrary.

I would perhaps propose that some dwellings be under ground, so as to reduce block usage. I'm not very happy with this law either, but I have little choice but to agree with it

Like neblime said, When we die even a soul of an emperor would be the same as a soul of a goblin low-life scum. Everyone deserves an equal grave no better than the other.

This, however, is a lie. The gods are many, and judge by different standards. The Goblin Gods judge the goblins, The Dwarf Gods the dwarfs. Take a pacifist, for example. The God of War would not care for a pacifist, yet that pacifist would be adored by the God of Peace. A Poet would be admired by the God of Art and Beauty, but be of no importance to the God of Agriculture. A God of Rulers would care about the ruling class, while a God of Crafts would see the workers as the ones of value. To pretend that all are equal before any but God of Equality is absolute pish. I stand by my support of the act, but your reasoning for it is flawed.

Even if you brush aside my theological debate, you yourself raise an interesting question. The "soul of an emperor" the same as "a goblin lowlife scum"? "Everyone" deserves an equal grave no better than others?

... What of the goblins? Do you suggest we BURY the scum that took Urist away from us? The ones that took Mafol? Bury them besides her mother, while they corrupt her mind with vile goblin words. That they deserve HONOUR? An Equal Grave? If you continue with such notions, I may have to insist on a mental evaluation. Where do we stop? Do we bury pets the same way? Or the madmen and murders and vile monsters that live amongst us?

... Sorry, I didn't mean to yell, but I tire of this talk of the dead. It has been decided, yes? So we should move on for now.

OOC: ((Gosh, I'm in the most dramatic of moods right now, it's so fun to write a rant. I admit to veering in exaggeration at the end, but saying that all are the same is nonsense, so I decided to have a bit of fun with it. wooo, times of stress and tension ahead))

EDIT: two Many (gosh I type slowly) new posts, may as well reply here:

Dwarf4explosive (+10) proposes a law (The Dignified Housing act)

As mentioned by TeleDwarf, one of our noble founders and a fellow Member of the Council, the attention to proper provisions after death has been much greater than that devoted to proper dwellings in life. To remedy this, I propose the following:
The Dignified Housing Act:
Every peasant dwarf must have a 4x4 house or room, containing all of the following: a bed, a statue and a door.

In Response to your law I have a Suggested Amendment, and a few extra laws.
Kerod (+10) Proposes the following laws:

Spoiler: Exhumation Ban (click to show/hide)

OOC: wooooooo, got a bit law-crazy here. Feel free to point out how the flaws in these laws that my post-christmas-dinner-brain has missed. They seem reasonable to me, but they may be a needless hinderance. Have fun voting.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 02:19:09 pm by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 25, 2013, 02:28:42 pm »

I agree with your ideas, Kero42.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the subject of the mines, how valuable were the materials accessible before the flooding? Were they weapons-grade metals or otherwise useful materials? If so, I vote for reclaiming the mines. If not, let's dig new ones.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 25, 2013, 02:31:08 pm »

I never said the goblins should have graves, I only said that in death we all have an equal soul. No one can kill each other in death. No one has more than the other in death, There's only heaven or hell. In hell the souls of goblins and evil dwarves are equal. In heaven good dwarves and humans are equal.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 25, 2013, 02:36:00 pm »

The Standardised Housing Act
Opposed. It is a waste of council effort to vote on an act we will need to vote again to enact.
Also we will need a properly tiered caste system before talking about standardization of certain class' conditions.
For: 1
Against: 1

Work-place/Living-space Integration Act
Totally Agree. This will greatly improve the efficiency of our settlement compared to other options.
For: 3
Against: 0

The (Temporary) Materiel Conservation Act (Otherwise known as "The Wooden Preference")
No strong opinion yet. I guess it would be better not to create shortages in the first place, but whatever.

Exhumation Ban
Opposed. There can be many different situation when we will need to move graves a bit. There is no need to create a law to fix the other law before that other law is passed.
For: 2

I would perhaps propose that some dwellings be under ground, so as to reduce block usage.
Absolutely impossible due to royal will.

... Sorry, I didn't mean to yell, but I tire of this talk of the dead. It has been decided, yes? So we should move on for now.
It is not decided until proper 24h time limit is up.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 25, 2013, 02:47:02 pm »

The Standardised Housing Act
Opposed. It is a waste of council effort to vote on an act we will need to vote again to enact.
Also we will need a properly tiered caste system before talking about standardization of certain class' conditions.
For: 1

Work-place/Living-space Integration Act
Totally Agree. This will greatly improve the efficiency of our settlement compared to other options.
For: 3
Against: 0

The (Temporary) Materiel Conservation Act (Otherwise known as "The Wooden Preference")
No strong opinion yet. I guess it would be better not to create shortages in the first place, but whatever.

Exhumation Ban
Opposed. There can be many different situation when we will need to move graves a bit. There is no need to create a law to fix the other law before that other law is passed.
For: 2

I would perhaps propose that some dwellings be under ground, so as to reduce block usage.
Absolutely impossible due to royal will.

It is not decided until proper 24h time limit is up.

OOC: Fair enough, glad to see I was able to suggest something you consider useful. Most of these are just off the top of my head, so I don't paticularly mind whether they are accepted or not.

I never said the goblins should have graves, I only said that in death we all have an equal soul. No one can kill each other in death. No one has more than the other in death, There's only heaven or hell. In hell the souls of goblins and evil dwarves are equal. In heaven good dwarves and humans are equal.

OOC: I know that, but Kerod is the kind to misunderstand, due to a recent stress in private negotiations.

IC: True, you raise a valid point. In the afterlife, there is certainly less division among the people. I apologise for my prior outburst, I neglected to have my evening drink, leaving me aggravatingly sober.  I should hope I have not created some unmendable rift between us.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 25, 2013, 02:54:00 pm »

Although my votes are nothing, I have no opinion on the housing act. I like the Living-space integration act because of it increasing efficiency. Also   t   he material conservation act is good. Exhumation Ban, Also no opinion.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 25, 2013, 02:58:35 pm »

OOC:
OOC: Fair enough, glad to see I was able to suggest something you consider useful. Most of these are just off the top of my head, so I don't paticularly mind whether they are accepted or not.
Well, you know me. If an idea have merit - I am all for it. But votes for the sake of voting? Negative.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 25, 2013, 02:59:05 pm »

OOC: I feel I should point out that the Exhumation Ban is only meant to apply to those we already buried. It is more along the lines of "If we're going to change all these graves, let the already interred rest." They may be moved at a future date, but it was really only made to pacify Cain, who in a rather firm way said he did not want his wife dug up, and others like him.

OOC:
Well, you know me. If an idea have merit - I am all for it. But votes for the sake of voting? Negative.

How about instead of proposing things like this as a vote-able law I bring up the issue for general discussion, then we make a law based on the solutions presented, if it is deemed that one is needed. It would certainly cut down on voting and shut down bad ideas quickly.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:01:36 pm by kero42 »

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 25, 2013, 03:12:15 pm »

OOC: I feel I should point out that the Exhumation Ban is only meant to apply to those we already buried. It is more along the lines of "If we're going to change all these graves, let the already interred rest." They may be moved at a future date, but it was really only made to pacify Cain, who in a rather firm way said he did not want his wife dug up, and others like him.

I am pretty sure Cain was mostly repealed by the travesty of proposed law. Should he(and the settlement) be able to afford a dynastic crypt - he, I am sure, would be greatly disappointed to need council permission to rebury his own wife due to some weird ban.
And also, while current cemetary is rather small, it is still located in the very center of our territory, and, unquestionably, will eventually be surrounded by the city. Would you like to have 5 ancient and utterly unimportant peasant graves to be in the middle of some playground or plaza?

How about instead of proposing things like this as a vote-able law I bring up the issue for general discussion, then we make a law based on the solutions presented, if it is deemed that one is needed. It would certainly cut down on voting and shut down bad ideas quickly.
Yeah, you should have done that. You, of course, could have lost the initiative and have your law proposed by someone else, but at least you would be sure that it is refined by popular opinion before being voted.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 25, 2013, 03:19:54 pm »

True, I will certainly keep these things in mind next time. And yeah, good point about the ban. Should the proposed laws just be nullified and all votes discounted? At least until proper tweaking is done to the few that make sense. Eh, I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, It's about time for me to go to bed. Goodnight.

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 25, 2013, 03:21:56 pm »

I've yet to go to bed. But there's nothing to talk about currently, Just to wait for votes to end..

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 25, 2013, 03:31:38 pm »

OOC:
I've yet to go to bed. But there's nothing to talk about currently, Just to wait for votes to end..

More talks = More votes.
More votes = Less updates.

on the other hand:
More votes = More ownership of the settlement.
More ownership = More enjoyment.

go figure...

You, of course, fall out of all the fun for now due to role play and chosen dwarfing conditions, but that was entirely your choice :)

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 25, 2013, 03:34:58 pm »

Well, I've got this idea to improve our economy but i believe we can't handle this project and we will need gems for this project... I could post it if you want.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 60