Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Let's Play Crusader Kings II!  (Read 3850 times)

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Play Crusader Kings II!
« on: November 28, 2013, 12:46:53 am »

So today I got the DLCs for Crusader Kings, thanks to Steam's spring sale. I've been playing vanilla CK2 for quite a while, and always wanted to make a Let's Play, but never really had the time. That, and the fact I've four months of holidays ahead, made me want to see if people would be interested in a community LP.
 Basically, you (the readers) will choose the start date, the dynasty we'll play as, (optionally) how you want our initial character to be, and a general plan for the future. I'll start the game up and play for say, two years (or however long you'd prefer) and then post the important/interesting things that happened, with images. Then you comment on that and tell me what you want me to do (in a general sense or for specific things). I'll probably also ask you if any important choices (e.g. the emperor of the HRE demands we join his succession war for the French throne) pop up.
 So, first things first:
  • What start date? Any from 867 to 1453 A.D. is valid. These are the 'standard' start dates so you can get an idea.
Spoiler: 867: The Old Gods (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Europe in 867 A.D. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Europe in 1066 A.D. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Europe in 1187 A.D. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 1220: Genghis Kha(ga)n (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Europe in 1220 A.D. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Europe in 1241 A.D. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Europe in 1337 A.D. (click to show/hide)

• What dynasty/nation? Obviously this is dependent on the start date. I don't mind being a vassal, but we can't play as any rank below count. The character itself that we'll start as isn't as important, since we can modify his traits/name/etc with the Ruler Designer.
  • What style would you prefer I play/write with? Maximize all characters and game the system as much as I can (e.g. Murder our wife/husband/sons/parents/other relations to acquire lands)? Be sensible, but still make it funny (the middle ground) Be more story-focused and justify decisions, even choosing 'bad' ones because they fit the character (e.g. Gift money to the Pope and go on all crusades if we have the Zealous trait)? Other?

Do ask if there's anything I missed, I can be a bit forgetful at times.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 10:02:21 am by Lord Allagon »
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Crusader Kings II!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 01:44:48 am »

Don't pick the merchant republics is all i can say. In my old LP I've managed to completely break the game within 30 years, by having ALL the top 5 people from every skill in my court, ability to permanently sustain multiple mercenary bands and single handedly won the crusade for Jerusalem.

The republics are silly.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 04:18:44 am »

Go Go Allah Lover!

Seriously, I've almost never heard anyone talk about "the Muslim experience", so do that.

Extra fun: Create a Muslim Republic (duke level mayor with coastal provinces, primary might have to be coastal).

The goal of "rule the world" is always good.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 10:06:50 am »

Edited the first post with maps and information about the main start dates.
Don't pick the merchant republics is all i can say. In my old LP I've managed to completely break the game within 30 years, by having ALL the top 5 people from every skill in my court, ability to permanently sustain multiple mercenary bands and single handedly won the crusade for Jerusalem.

The republics are silly.
Yeah, that's the impression I got when I fought against republics. I had the HRE and the Empire of Francia as my allies, and still the damn guys kept winning, just because they spawned 15,000 soldiers at their capital every 3 seconds.
Go Go Allah Lover!

Seriously, I've almost never heard anyone talk about "the Muslim experience", so do that.

Extra fun: Create a Muslim Republic (duke level mayor with coastal provinces, primary might have to be coastal).

The goal of "rule the world" is always good.
I've never played Muslims, so if my decadence suddenly is 100% and everyone starts hating me, I'm blaming you  :P
Freaks.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 08:56:07 pm »

Be Palemon Palemonaitis, High chief of Lithuania, try to Reform Romuva and conquer the world? He is in 867 start.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 07:03:14 am by Lukeinator »
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 09:38:58 pm »

Form Iceland, then slowly take over The British Isles?
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 07:38:49 am »

SPARTENOS!. Be the Count of Neapolis and try to survive.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 01:41:18 pm »

One of my favourite historical figures in the CKII timeline is El Cid (Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar). He became famous fighting for both the Castillans and the Moors. Eventually he carved out his own fief and ruled from the city of Valencia.

He's unlanded in 1066 start date. But if you go to 1094 he is an independent ruler in Valencia. It's too bad multiculturalism isn't well represented in CKII. Muslims and Christians often fought alongside each other during this time period in the iberian peninsula. Muslims and Christians alike served under El Cid.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:44:26 pm by Wiles »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 04:40:59 pm »

Go with Harer (should be called Shirazid Emirate) on the 867 start, for the glory of Islam.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 04:43:17 pm »

One of my favourite historical figures in the CKII timeline is El Cid (Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar). He became famous fighting for both the Castillans and the Moors. Eventually he carved out his own fief and ruled from the city of Valencia.

He's unlanded in 1066 start date. But if you go to 1094 he is an independent ruler in Valencia. It's too bad multiculturalism isn't well represented in CKII. Muslims and Christians often fought alongside each other during this time period in the iberian peninsula. Muslims and Christians alike served under El Cid.

Well, I think it's possible to have the retinue of two different cultures serving under one ruler, if that ruler recruits one and then changes culture.  So, in theory at least, it should be possible for El Cid to field both Spanish and Moor cultural retinues.  And since El Cid basically had an army without a country most of his career, it certainly fits him.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 08:08:53 pm »

So. Consensus? Be a Muslim and conquer the world for Allah? be El Cid and have both Muslims and Christians serve us? If people are insistent on being Muslim, I could just use the Ruler Designer to change el Cid's religion. ALSO: I noticed I got the Customization Pack, so if anyone wants me to put them in the game as a custom-named noble with (also custom-named) lands, tell me.
Freaks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 01:11:59 am »

Jack Euchre, French Count of unknown lands.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 08:32:28 am »

I don't think you can change the names of nobles not of your dinasty. You can, however, change their dinasty names, so change your marshal's dinasty to Deathsword (assuming he's not a lowborn. If he is, change the dinasty of some random baron instead).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 08:46:54 am »

Change a random landed independent noble's dynasty name to cheese.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 08:42:56 pm »

Hmm. I would say... Play as the Ottoman Empire in their first breaths of existence. Conquer all of Anatolia. Then take out the Byzantine Empire. Then travel down and conquer everything between Anatolia and Mecca, including Mecca itself. I'm currently doing a multiplayer game of EU3 in which I am doing just that. It is very satisfying to just start eating up everyone around you, as Europe leaves you be (other than killing the Knights. Europe was quite pissy over that).
That is probably beyond my skill level. I mean, I'm not too bad, but evolving from a small state into a super large kingdom when everyone around me is hostile and wants to kill me, with the Byzantines as neighbors is a bit out of my league. I tried to do the same with the Zoroastrian state (can't remember the name) in the north of Persia and while I managed to seize a significant portion of the de jure kingdom of Persia, once the Muslims ended their Shia-Sunni civil wars, they completely overwhelmed me. My largest empires tend to be so because I inherit other kingdoms by marriages, since I'm not too good at the military side. My best tactic is 'have more troops and a better general than the enemy', so...
I don't think you can change the names of nobles not of your dinasty. You can, however, change their dinasty names, so change your marshal's dinasty to Deathsword (assuming he's not a lowborn. If he is, change the dinasty of some random baron instead).
I /think/ you can use the console to change who you play to a noble of the target dynasty and then back to your character, but I'm not sure.
Freaks.
Pages: [1] 2