Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Planetary Competition (Sign-up, Rules and Discussion)  (Read 8832 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Competition (Sign-up, Rules and Discussion)
« Reply #105 on: November 28, 2013, 10:07:20 am »

It's not that simple, especially for some of those stages. Ironically, the easiest to take off are the ones at the end; repeatedly, organisms have evolved to be able to breed in their larvel or juvenile stages rather than their adult stages, effectively maturing when still larvae. See: Mud puppies, axlotls, rooks, some crustaceans, water striders, and other species. On the other hand, cutting out an intermediate stage is about as possible as making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without opening the peanut butter jar.

You declared war on me--and everyone else!
You can try of course, but I'll be bitch-slapping you all into your place as prey soon enoguh...
Don't pin it on me. (Especially since my statement was just "We have possibilities and are not afraid to use them.")
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 28, 2013, 10:18:25 am »

Don't derail this thread too GWG.

I think we are still wait for the other team to either get a member or pick a place. If they don't soon I think they should be replaced so we can get this rolling.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 28, 2013, 10:21:14 am »

It's not that simple, especially for some of those stages. Ironically, the easiest to take off are the ones at the end; repeatedly, organisms have evolved to be able to breed in their larvel or juvenile stages rather than their adult stages, effectively maturing when still larvae. See: Mud puppies, axlotls, rooks, some crustaceans, water striders, and other species. On the other hand, cutting out an intermediate stage is about as possible as making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without opening the peanut butter jar.
Maybe thats impossible for you pansy arse little whiners - but we real men eat the jar as well! :P

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 28, 2013, 10:54:20 am »

It's not that simple, especially for some of those stages. Ironically, the easiest to take off are the ones at the end; repeatedly, organisms have evolved to be able to breed in their larvel or juvenile stages rather than their adult stages, effectively maturing when still larvae. See: Mud puppies, axlotls, rooks, some crustaceans, water striders, and other species.
It's called neoteny, and humans did this, for brain plasticity: they managed to keep the baby chimps' ability to learn more easily than the old ones, to the points that even 60 years old can learn how to use a computer (not as easily as a 20-years old, but still surprisingly easy)

Back on topic, we really should get this rolling ASAP
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2013, 10:58:48 am »

Should we wait for Ukranian Ranger, skip him, or just assume he'd want some biodiversity?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2013, 11:01:07 am »

Maybe PM him. He could've forgotten.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2013, 11:04:37 am »

Maybe thats impossible for you pansy arse little whiners - but we real men eat the jar as well! :P
...How do I argue with logic like that?

It isn't a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, then. It's a jar and jelly sandwich. Completely different, and a bit unwieldy to eat.

It's not that simple, especially for some of those stages. Ironically, the easiest to take off are the ones at the end; repeatedly, organisms have evolved to be able to breed in their larvel or juvenile stages rather than their adult stages, effectively maturing when still larvae. See: Mud puppies, axlotls, rooks, some crustaceans, water striders, and other species.
It's called neoteny, and humans did this, for brain plasticity: they managed to keep the baby chimps' ability to learn more easily than the old ones, to the points that even 60 years old can learn how to use a computer (not as easily as a 20-years old, but still surprisingly easy)
Also our head structure.
I hadn't heard the learning thing before, though. You really do learn new things every day!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2013, 02:29:11 pm »

Should we wait for Ukranian Ranger, skip him, or just assume he'd want some biodiversity?

PM him and give him a day to reply. Otherwise he's probably inactive and we should go on without him, because we haven't even started the game yet.
"zzz"

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2013, 06:20:41 pm »

If he doesn't reply, I'll happily seize Greenmantle...  (Though the process might take a few dozen steps or more...)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2013, 08:18:48 pm »

i think we need to go on without him, we need to get started or else we'll all lose interest and this won't start at all.
"zzz"

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2013, 08:21:12 pm »

Let's just start already, it's been so long...
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2013, 04:26:37 am »

Okay, the game shall have Turn 1 soon. Iituem, want the creatures? Ukranian can probably get a competing population of radials in a nearby coast.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2013, 02:11:37 pm »

Sure thing.  Deciding on actions now...

Edit:  Can I start at WO1?  Might as well enjoy the oceans, since everyone else is starting on the coast...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 02:15:09 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2013, 02:22:08 pm »

Sure thing.  Deciding on actions now...

Edit:  Can I start at WO1?  Might as well enjoy the oceans, since everyone else is starting on the coast...
Oceans can't have plants in them, so you wouldn't be able to start there.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2013, 08:53:12 pm »

Fixed, moved to WC3.  If I've read the bonus for mantles, growing up a size should cost 1EP instead of 2 because of their evo bonus?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11