Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Reboot?

Yea
Naw

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27

Author Topic: The Avatar Arena: REBOOT IN PROGRESS  (Read 41943 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: The Avatar Arena: Turn 5: The New Guy.
« Reply #285 on: January 09, 2014, 01:41:17 am »

Specifically, this is the entry GWG is referring to.

The Gold Dragon does not get DR 20/Magic until it is a Wyrm, which is older than Ancient, so he was (mostly) pulling your leg. However, DR means that he can resist damage (20 damage, in this case, nigh unbeatable by most TVtropes Super Weight 3 characters, even some SW4 characters), EXCEPT the kind of damage mentioned (In this case magic damage, out of a list of Epic, Good, Evil, Magic, Adamant; iirc). Which would be broken as E***. If it were DR xx/Epic, you'd need to be TVT Power Level 5 to beat it, even if it were only DR 5/Epic. DR 5/--, or no weakness, is unbeatable; however, DR 5 in chunky salsa equates to changing "You die" to "you are lethally injured, but alive for now". DR 10 would change it to "you are critically wounded, probably crippled". DR 15 is "You are badly wounded in the arm". DR 20 is "You are scratched".

However, he doesn't have DR 20/magic, so don't worry about that. If he's a Mature Adult, he's got DR 10/Magic, though. (Look under the Special Abilities column).

Gold Dragons have access to the spells in the Sorcerer list, as well as Cleric spells in the Law, Luck, and Good domains. However, it needs to be able to cast them, meaning having a caster level (look in the adjacent column) of at least twice the spell level (Actually, look in Spells per day, if it's not "-" at that Sorcerer level, he can cast it). Also, that entry only lists Gold Dragon specific stuff. You can scroll up to the top for abilities shared by ALL dragons. Such as their breath weapon, spell resistance, and extrasensory abilities.

But there's a lot of spells that he would qualify for, even as a Mature Adult.

To fit within TV Tropes Super Weight 3, he would be a Young Adult, though, at worst. DR 5/magic (lethal is usually still lethal, especially with magic), weak spell resistance, up to 2nd level spells, such as Continual flame, Acid Arrow, and levitate, around the same skill level as, say, "(Lego) Harry Potter, year 3".
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Avatar Arena: Turn 4: Hey, they're back.
« Reply #286 on: January 09, 2014, 03:01:25 am »

Continue to take advantage of my position. fire upon anyone that attacks me. if nobody attacks me then fire upon whomever I have the best shot at. I'd prefer to use the bow, but if they look like arrows can't hurt them effectively (see: elephant, giant blob of water, etc) then use my arm-cannon. If anyone looks to be prone to getting in meele with me, keep my distance from them, and if anyone attacks me with ranged weapons, dodge the attack.
Second verse, same as the first
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 09, 2014, 09:57:20 am »

I feel like GWG might've missed the whole 'within reason' bit. :P
I can already cast a variety of spells. What good does being able to cast one more do? Not nearly as much as it would someone with no spellcasting.

Specifically, this is the entry GWG is referring to.

The Gold Dragon does not get DR 20/Magic until it is a Wyrm, which is older than Ancient, so he was (mostly) pulling your leg.
*points to username*
Although yeah, I didn't really expect the full compliment of abilities. (Even if I'm going to make reference to them.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 09, 2014, 12:24:50 pm »

Okay, enough of this.

GWG, pick a spell that will be added to your list of abilities. It'll be something with a cooldown, and can't be an insta-kill or incredibly almost-lethal. The plus side? It goes off without a hitch. No rolling. Same goes for TCM's Dance Fever.

That sound fair?
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 09, 2014, 01:02:41 pm »

...Man, it's hard to pick.

Can I choose miracle? Or, barring that, one of the more-rigidly-defined functions of miracle?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 09, 2014, 01:57:53 pm »

...Man, it's hard to pick.

Can I choose miracle? Or, barring that, one of the more-rigidly-defined functions of miracle?
Say no. All of its functions are horribly powerful.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 09, 2014, 02:00:48 pm »

GWG, say Shades if you want that kind of power. It's more subtle in how overwhelming it is so you're more likely to slip it past the GM.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 09, 2014, 02:21:47 pm »

Is that more ice near me? Maybe I can become one with it...

Try and "join" with the icy humanoid thing... with the end goal of becoming a bigger icy humanoid thing
This is a blank sig.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 09, 2014, 02:58:07 pm »

GWG, say Shades if you want that kind of power. It's more subtle in how overwhelming it is so you're more likely to slip it past the GM.
The problem is, Shades isn't the kind of spell I'd use under normal conditions. If my original suggestion* doesn't work, I need to think of some spell that fits, something iconic, and also something useful. If it was later in the game, I could just look through the thread and go, "Hey, I used [spell] a bunch, I'll choose that," but I haven't, so I need to try and figure out a good spell to choose.

*I would have gone for the "Duplicate any other spell of 7th level or lower" function, incidentally.
Sig

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 09, 2014, 03:10:54 pm »

I feel like GWG might've missed the whole 'within reason' bit. :P
I can already cast a variety of spells. What good does being able to cast one more do? Not nearly as much as it would someone with no spellcasting.
That doesn't really disprove that you have trouble with things being within reason, though. Just that it's been going on since before this. :I
Mind you, I don't really care too much one way or the other. GSF'll probably manage to make whatever you've got reasonable to some degree.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 09, 2014, 03:25:40 pm »

The problem is, Shades isn't the kind of spell I'd use under normal conditions. If my original suggestion* doesn't work, I need to think of some spell that fits, something iconic, and also something useful. If it was later in the game, I could just look through the thread and go, "Hey, I used [spell] a bunch, I'll choose that," but I haven't, so I need to try and figure out a good spell to choose.

*I would have gone for the "Duplicate any other spell of 7th level or lower" function, incidentally.

Whoops, did I forget to mention that I'd prefer you not use a third-party spell and instead be creative? K Thanks.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 09, 2014, 03:30:08 pm »

Define "third-party".

And, um...my character is basically a great wyrm gold dragon. Because that's what my avatar is. Because that's what my username is. (And that, in turn, goes back to the first forum I ever joined, which is the third or fourth account I made anywhere on the Internet.) If I've made a stylistic choice to base my character and actions off of such a creature due to this legacy, it's a bit insulting to be called lazy for it.
Sig

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 09, 2014, 03:37:53 pm »

I'm not calling you lazy at all. I'm asking you to make up a spell yourself as opposed to choosing something from D&D. Plus, your avatar isn't really a Giant Wyrm Gold Dragon. It's a gold 'D'. And has been for the duration of this game. I don't mind the shapeshifting and the fact that you're large as hell here, but I'd really prefer if you refrain from tossing about names and spells from something that ultimately won't be effective since I'll just end up taking the literal meaning of it and rolling with it. So again, I really suggest you choose something along the same lines as TCM's Dance Fever thing. Treat it more as an ability than a magic spell.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Enter the Arena as Your Avatar RTD-Ified: KILLARENA OPEN
« Reply #298 on: January 09, 2014, 03:43:33 pm »

...Why am I a golden D? Look at my character sheet.

Or if that's too subtle:

I am a Dragon: Big, flies, breathes fire, uses magic, little perks like that.

Notice that that doesn't say "I Am the Letter D".

And I'm aware of what it will be treated as. I'm just trying to think of something that would fit.
Sig

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 09, 2014, 03:49:07 pm »

Your avatar is sometimes a giant D, sometimes a dragon, and sometimes non-existant.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27