Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we work on next?

A tower to the sky!
A ridiculously complex trapped entrance!
A ginormous constructed somethingorother!
A monstrous terraforming project!
An ostentatious display of golden wealth!
A giant building in the shape of a Toad, in honour of ToadyOne!
Candy everything!
Exclamation point! (My idea will be posted below)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40

Author Topic: CharmCrafted, Citadel of Mechanisms[Game Open, still recruiting]  (Read 49689 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: CharmCrafted, Citadel of Mechanisms[Game Open, still recruiting]
« Reply #120 on: December 11, 2013, 09:44:51 am »

I saw a magma crab by the lava lake the other day...  :D

Looking forward to my turn.  I have some creative mining ideas for lower levels.  I used to mine out areas for exploring by drawing little pictures of whatever.  My favorite was a coyote in a desert scene, but I don't think I can find it anymore...
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2013, 10:04:11 am »

Sorry for the lack of updates the last two days.  I'll have at least the next quarter year up tonight, but the goal is to finish the whole year as well.  Hopefully its worth the wait. :)

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2013, 09:32:03 pm »

Cant wait dude.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 14, 2013, 06:20:39 am »

~~Journal of Dolwin, Chief of Staff, Charmcrafted Medical Squadron~~

Spoiler: Sumyunguy (click to show/hide)
(the master carpenter)
Spoiler: Icefire (click to show/hide)
(legendary stonecrafter)

Autumn moved on much like summer did.  We traded a few trinkets that Bsnott whipped up for all the food and animals that the humans brought with them, laying the foundation for long-term relations with them and fortress stability at the same time.  I ordered an extra still constructed and put a second brewer to work full time.  Even while doubling our output, it always looks as if we are low on supplies.  I almost said to myself that all these dwarves drink too much, but I'd rather not be crucified.

The hospital has been fully dug out and is in the process of being moved down from the old section.  This has freed up Puutuulion to begin work on my vision:  the GDT.  The base will require a large flat section outdoors, so he is working on prepping the southwest area of our lands.  Progress goes slower than I would like, as he takes repeated breaks to fetch more wine, but what can you do?

It felt like only yesterday that the human caravan left, but the scouts informed me that the dwarven caravan is making its way here.  Unfortunately, they are not alone...

Spoiler: More Visitors (click to show/hide)

Yes, my fears have been realized.  Our fledgling settlement has been besieged!  I ordered everyone inside and asked around to see if anyone could guess what we are up against.  What they told me actually upset me a bit.

Spoiler: How Many? (click to show/hide)

Apparently this "siege" consisted of just over a dozen goblin pikeman and their crossbow wielding leader.  I feel almost insulted.  This is hardly more than an ambush.  As is their wont, they ran right towards the main entrance rather than the caravan entrance by the volcano, so I didnt have to order that bridge drawn.  The merchants never even got a whiff of the goblins, which suited me just fine.  Woobmonkey headed up to trade while I monitored the fortress entrance to see how our expanded traps were holding up.

Spoiler: Trading (click to show/hide)

Woobmonkey was able to get all the food, metal ores, animals, and sand/gypsum from the dwarven caravan without using half of the remaining golden crafts we had left over from before.  With the kea problem under control, Woobmonkey was feeling generous and didnt haggle too much, giving the traders a good profit on their investment.  I ordered the masterwork crafts from Bsnott to be donated to the king back in the mountainhome, fostering even more good will.  I'm all for self sufficency, but its always good to have a backup plan.

Meanwhile, we had a bit of a situation at the fortress entrance.  The first four goblins charged ahead like they always do, leading to their swift capture.  However, the remaining ones showed a rare display of intelligence and refused to follow their brethren.  Cursing under my breath, I ordered a somewhat risky maneuver:  the resident cavy boar was ordered to be pastured just behind the row of traps.  I winced a bit when one of my own medical crew volunteered for the assignment and hoped it wouldnt lead him to a painful death. 

Spoiler: Siege? (click to show/hide)

Thankfully, two showings of intelligence in one day is beyond the capabilities for your average goblin.  Upon sight of a solitary dwarf, they threw caution to the wind and hurled headlong into their fate.  All goblins captured, no casualties on our end.  A successful day, but one that highlights our need to progress further.  Most of my tenure has involved waiting around for necessities to be crafted.  My list dwindles by the day, and now I am confident I can work uninterrupted for the last three months of my oversight.  The goblins are unlikely to return before the spring, and I aim to have the GDT well under way before the snows thaw.  Of course, I said that during the summer and autumn seasons as well.  Perhaps I'm not as cut out for leadership as I assumed.  I should reflect on this with some fine dwarven rum....

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2013, 05:39:39 pm »

~~Journal of Dolwin, Chief of Staff, Charmcrafted Medical Squadron~~

Time marches ever forward.  Puutuulion has been rather miserable lately.  The engravers have been off doing other projects and havent finished smoothing his rooms (or being lazy, thats pretty contagious around here lately).  He did finalize the trade agreement with the mountainhomes, requesting lots of gypsum plaster, rock salt (for making crystal glass), metal ores and bars, and various foodstuffs.  During the meeting, the liason did mention one thing to brighten Puutuulion's mood...

Spoiler: Level Up! (click to show/hide)

So we have that going for us.  That brightened our mood for about a day, when we heard an unholy shriek coming from the caverns.

Spoiler: Birdman (click to show/hide)

It seems content not to trouble us, but maybe thats because he cannot swim.  Which is good, seeing as the old well system is still in place. 

An ex-hunter ran around babbling for a while, shoving Icefire out of his workshop and running around the fortress gathering items.  The end result was nice to look at, but I would have rather had pots being constructed during the month he was crafting.

Spoiler: Scepter (click to show/hide)

Nothing else of note happened during the rest of winter, just more mundane crafting of necessities and waiting for mining to continue.  Only having one miner is a huge hindrance to getting actual work done.  I wish my successor the best of luck with his endeavors.

Before I return to the mundane world of overseeing a hospital, I'll give you an overview of the state of affairs for the fortress:

Spoiler: Fortress summary (click to show/hide)

The food & drink problem has finally been solved.  Two stills are working non-stop to meet the demand of over 250 thirsty dwarves, while we have over 1000 prepared meals by our master cook.

Spoiler: Fortress surface (click to show/hide)

Quite a few idlers and animals wander the surface now.  I'm pleased to note the light sickness epidemic is getting better, but it could be better.  We are currently cooking any eggs that are laid, but we do have some breeding pairs of fowl that we can allow to multiply if need be.  The blue lever by the farms controls the bridge leading to the cage trap hallway.

Spoiler: Random floor (click to show/hide)

There is a random floor two levels above the trade depot that needs to be deconstructed so we can finish up roofing over the actual depot.  Flying enemies can still enter in this one stairwell and over the main fortress surface.  Construction of that many rock blocks has taken a while.  We should have enough on hand now to roof over the bulk of it.

I've started both leather and cloth clothesmaking industries.  It will be difficult to keep up with this many dwarves, but we shall do our best.  Another clothesmaker shop would help with the process.

Here is the overview of notable dwarves:

Spoiler: Puutuulion (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sumyunguy (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Timeless Bob (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Saegge (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bsnott (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Firecrazy (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dolwin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Icefire (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Exodius (click to show/hide)
(no longer mayor, but is a legendary farmer now)
Spoiler: Wozit (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Danmanthedog (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Woobmonkey (click to show/hide)

With this, I leave Charmcrafted in the capable hands of my successor.  May we continue to prosper!

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 15, 2013, 05:45:56 pm »

Here is the save.  Good luck to whomever takes it up next.  Most of the mundane work should be out of the way.  However, we are very vulnerable to a large siege.  I couldnt get much of anything done with only one person mining.  Between breaks and other responsibilities, work progresses so slowly it hurts...

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8215

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 15, 2013, 06:11:52 pm »

Awesome work, Dolwin - your efforts shall forever be appreciated.

Saegge, you're up!

Please respond no later than Tuesday, so we don't end up skipping you.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Saegge

• Bay Watcher
  • Mox alter equo vita reale at solis occasum equitat
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2013, 07:50:41 am »

yay finally my turn :O. I'll try to get this going tomorrow. There will be some journal. I'll figure how I'll do it as I play along, I think.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2013, 05:36:48 pm »

cant wait for my turn

Saegge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 17, 2013, 12:03:59 pm »

starts absolutly fine. First in-game days and something just collapsed at the depot. Don't know exactly what happened...

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 17, 2013, 12:05:21 pm »

Could be that random ceiling above the depot.  Someone standing in the wrong area?

Saegge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2013, 12:18:39 pm »

looks like some kids were playing with the goods. One dwarf and one child unconscious for a day or something, one child saunaing and one new floor heating system.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 17, 2013, 12:24:16 pm »

Too many children as it is anyways.  Unless the dwarf in question is important and hurt badly, I wouldnt sweat it.  I'd check the roof of the depot just to make sure its still sealed off though.   Damn keas...

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2013, 02:23:22 pm »

I'd like to take a shot at this, if no one minds. I've always had trouble working with military dwarves anyway - they tend to die unexpectedly and then I feel like a failure. Traps never let me down except by user error.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2013, 04:38:40 pm »

I've always had trouble working with military dwarves anyway - they tend to die unexpectedly and then I feel like a failure.

Wait, wait, They weren't supposed to do that 0.0 Well ****, I was playing the game wrong all the time.
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40