Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often have you been actively malicious towards your Dwarves?

Often: The fortress isn't meant to protect them. It's meant to entertain me.
On Occassion: We all need a bit of dark laughter now and then.
When necessary: As a means to an end, I'll kill a dwarf to save a dozen.
Never: The world is dangerous enough.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Has anyone tried to be a good, moral Overlord?  (Read 21894 times)

Artinnio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone tried to be a good, moral Overlord?
« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2014, 03:50:33 pm »

I love how many people are making a tiered society with surface dwellers needing to prove their worth :')

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2014, 06:18:58 pm »

I love how many people are making a tiered society with surface dwellers needing to prove their worth :')

It's fun!  ^_^  And builds character.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Magnusen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2014, 12:27:23 am »

Since i cheat the hell out of the game (modded dwarf litter size,speed,etc) i try to make the game extremely hard to compensate.I make my best to facilitate tantrums,go to terrifying biomes,multiply necromancer rate,make extreme overpowered megabeasts,have about 15 hostile civilizations that swarm the fort 24/7 (ambushes,thieves,sieges,babysnatchers) and of course i don't bury any corpse so that they turn into zombies outside.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2014, 07:40:18 am »

When I did it it was based on religion; Those who worshipped (or married one who did) the same gods as the starting 7 would be given citizenship, with spacious rooms and gold furniture. The rest were lowly laborers living in a dirt dormitory near the surface.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2014, 09:29:36 am »

I make tiered societies all the time. Early migrants get treated well, everyone else is slags who does whatever work needs to be done. I hate making magma pistons since it requires caution to do it safely, but that taaaakeesss so long to designate. I really don't care about slags dying, (lost 7 people to this piston.) I was nice though today, when I noticed one of my soldiers starving from being on patrol too much. Disbanded the army.

e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2014, 05:32:02 pm »

I tend to be good to my dwarves. I just fail miserably at being good.

My first megaproject which I am working on now is to build a giant tower made out of pure gold that will house all of my dwarves as well as house a giant glass bubble that will have lots of magma in it for use of protection against invaders.

If my username wasn't any indication, I hate elves. They're stupid. I use them for target practice.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

PABadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2014, 07:54:38 am »

I'm a carebear, I'll admit it. I try to make a functioning fortress as much as possible; give them a variety of food, clothing, shelter, etc. But then I'm playing my current fortress as kind of the last hope of the Dwarves (the goblins have essentially obliterated my mountainhome during world gen), so I'm a bit odd. I probably won't attack the elves until I have a good solid military (I say probably, those pointy ears are getting on my nerves) but I have the set goal of running a functioning, reasonably happy fortress. Now, whether I succeed is another story...

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 24, 2014, 05:01:32 pm »

Stop.

Necro time.

*Cue music*

On a more serious note, I try to be a nice overseer, but sometimes I get fed up.  Like when the thought rewrite happened, in one of my forts I began atomsmashing anyone who showed any signs of stress.  En masse.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 24, 2014, 07:35:12 pm »

I try to make everyone as happy as possible, while being moderately whacked as they move across my main access hall. In every second row, it's -featherwood training spears-, in the others, *menacing steel spike*s are in order. This assures that they're stronger than a kobold that comes by. Eventually, everyone except 10-16 miners get bronze mail shirt and helms, a bronze spear, axe, sword, or copper hammer, a wooden shield, and leather for the rest. I guess you could consider making them strong on a daily basis as being nice. 
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 24, 2014, 07:48:19 pm »

Once I was about to put half of the fortress's population, 35 children, in a glass room on display inside the meeting hall. I was going to to put spike traps in there and have a single parent flip the lever on them repeatedly. While the whole fortress watched. Then leave the bodies there. I don't know if dwarves actually see through glass, but it would have built their character.

It was supposed to handle the tantrumming children problem and get rid of a bunch of useless population. Then a new version came out, they were spared.
So no, I'm not a moral overseer.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 24, 2014, 08:08:53 pm »

I tend to grow sentimentally attached to every dwarf in my fort, so it makes me sad when they die. Ergo, I try as hard as I can to prevent that from happening. On the other hand, I also tend to have trouble creating a standing army for this exact reason, so at most I'll have a marksdorf squad derpingaround behind fortifications if need be.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 24, 2014, 08:24:32 pm »

Then leave the bodies there. I don't know if dwarves actually see through glass, but it would have built their character.

Not glass walls, but they can see through windows...  8)

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2014, 12:01:50 am »

I always try for a Dwarven utopia. Sadly, their annoying habit of dying terribly makes that a little difficult sometimes. Also my habit of settling in extremely hostile environments doesn't help matters much.

In my fortresses there are no cat waterfalls, nor are there "training rooms" with razor blade floors. Each dwarf gets their own well furnished room. Melee soldiers are always armed to the teeth before seeing battle. Green troops are restricted to clean up duty until they are skilled enough to fight properly. Opulent dining areas with indoor waterfalls and such tend to show up after the basic necessities are taken care of. Even vampires are treated decently.

Animals, on the other hand, are a much lower priority. They are given only rudimentary protection from goblin arrow showers and other environmental hazards. If the dwarves get hungry or the critters become too numerous, the butcher thins the herd. Guard critters don't tend to live particularly long lives but if one proves itself worthy in battle and actually survives, it will be promoted to a soldier's personal war beast and will be honored with a proper burial when the time comes.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 12:10:27 am by Melting Sky »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 25, 2014, 12:09:33 am »

i do, well, not without focusing in the fort of course. i give a 1x4 for each dorf with its own door, bed, cabinet and chest. try to give them a legendary hall and plenty of food to keep happy thoughts they seem to enjoy it, well, except nobles, i dont care a dime about nobles. each dorf in my fort is equal to the rest, so no monarchs.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 25, 2014, 01:09:45 am »

So, does anyone do the opposite here? In the sense that you're constantly manufacturing fine clothes for your dwarves, varying up the food stock, etc? You got any tips on making my dwarves lives seem less grim-dark?
I do!
Make them happy, and build a grand fortress. Bugs in the way provide for the 'evil' in the process.
(like 'R'estricting an open river tile translates to Overseer saying "Don't go near that flowing water.")
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11