Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often have you been actively malicious towards your Dwarves?

Often: The fortress isn't meant to protect them. It's meant to entertain me.
On Occassion: We all need a bit of dark laughter now and then.
When necessary: As a means to an end, I'll kill a dwarf to save a dozen.
Never: The world is dangerous enough.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Has anyone tried to be a good, moral Overlord?  (Read 21873 times)

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone tried to be a good, moral Overlord?
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2014, 01:44:53 pm »

*Gtaguy cancles post: Laughing too hard.
Quote from: GoldenShadow
I don't understand why you need magma.
Quote from: Duuvian
Well done OP, you've inadvertently weaponized ghosts.

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2014, 03:40:26 pm »

I've always done my best to provide for all of my dwarves. Survival of each is important, and I hate losing any of them to preventable causes or my own negligence. The rare occasion where dwarves are sacrificed for the great good is if they can't make it inside the fort in time before I close the gates to protect the halls from the siege/gribbly-beast that threatens the safety of all. The bodies will be recovered as soon as possible, and given proper burial.

Like some of the previous posters, I aim to build my forts from a "dwarf's-eye" view. Amenities that I think my dwarves would like are provided, and reasonable efforts are made to suit personal desires of any "pillar of the community" dwarves.

Forts that make it to the late game are usually grandiose, well-stocked, and bustling with happy dwarves at work and leisure.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2014, 03:52:15 pm »

Depends on what brand of stupidity they show. For instance if a dwarf walls themselves off in a place where they'll die of dehydration I let them out them dump them into a volcano. Of I should say I used to do it, had to stop once my pop count dropped from eighty to twenty.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2014, 09:47:27 pm »

Depends on what brand of stupidity they show. For instance if a dwarf walls themselves off in a place where they'll die of dehydration I let them out them dump them into a volcano. Of I should say I used to do it, had to stop once my pop count dropped from eighty to twenty.
Lol.
I just build a cobbled together shithole, the dwarves drink water and eat only plump helmets. I go for a 'dwarven rehab center'. If I make booze, it's normally because my shitty baron who is always mandating alcohol does what shitty barons who always mandate alcohol do. Mandate alcohol. They normally meet with a terrible fate. On another note the last noble died in the cage trap hall from a GCS, and we have begun a silk-production facility.
Quote from: GoldenShadow
I don't understand why you need magma.
Quote from: Duuvian
Well done OP, you've inadvertently weaponized ghosts.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2014, 09:52:05 pm »

My goodness is generic. Mainly because I don';t have the attention to detail and ability to juggle multiple details required to micromanage my Forts to that extent.

It's taken me a year or better just to get to the point where I can juggle an economy and a military in the same fort. And that's still going slowly. My Forts generally don't last more than a few years, either. And I've never breached the caverns or built a megaproject.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2014, 03:03:51 am »

All depends on the 'difficulty'. For example, building a proper fort in a decent biome usually leads me to being bored as fuck, which leads me to making megaprojects for dwarves to do things in, like giant booze halls, hell farms growing sunshine, coliseums, automated clothing factories (my greatest success), building everyone a bitchin-ass house, saunas, dwarven bio-miniguns, roc farms, et cetera.

Then there's level 2: evil biomes. Depending on whether either the acid rain or undead kills dwarves, quality of life is usually lower because the little shits die too often. Once you get entrenched though, its just a normal game where going outside kills your dwarves in short fucking order, and there's always an abundance of fun when something dies.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 03:05:53 am by smurfingtonthethird »
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2014, 09:13:45 am »

I ususally give all my dwarves amazing rooms, but I don't use doors very much so everything has huge value.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2014, 12:44:45 pm »

All my dwarves get 3x3 rooms, and a dormitory exists for spillover until I can dig them one. Nobles get whatever I feel is appropriate for their performance and station. Even the soldiers get 3x3 rooms, though they share with one of their squadmates, and don't get a cabinet. Captains get an office as well as their own room, and the militia commander gets his own dining room as well. Dining rooms and other amenities are public and fairly common.

That said, I really don't care about any of them. I won't bat an eye even if my entire royal guard is melted by a hill titan's blood, or a score migrants get killed by the zombie beakdogs that occasionally filter in from the eastern edge of the map. Hell, I drafted two of my starting seven to distract them long enough for the carpenter to get a door installed to hide behind when the fort was new.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2014, 03:44:23 pm »

The worst thing I ever remember doing to my dwarves was (after making a river-fed well hat flooded the fortress) was dig a chamber near the river, get everyone inside, barricade it, and flood it.

I am not good enough to get to a point where I have useless dwarves.
Black lives matter.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2014, 07:09:54 pm »

I have recently started dropping dwarves 3z lvls down onto slate floors in an attempt to improve my medical staff.

While immoral, I argue that it's in the end what a good overlord should do. after all, when dwarves get actually serious injuries, how are they gonna live with a terrible healthcare system?
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2014, 08:22:45 pm »

I have recently started dropping dwarves 3z lvls down onto slate floors in an attempt to improve my medical staff.

While immoral, I argue that it's in the end what a good overlord should do. after all, when dwarves get actually serious injuries, how are they gonna live with a terrible healthcare system?
Private healthcare?

AMERICA!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2014, 02:46:08 am »

I tend to be kind to my dwarves, especially when it comes to food/drink variety. As a home brewer, I enjoy the different brewing options. So, I try to brew as many different drinks as I can. I also try to give everyone their own bedroom, eventually. 3x2 minimum, with a bed and cabinet. The early dwarves get smoothed rooms. I also try to keep everyone safe from the evil dust that makes you break out in bloody blisters head to toe, and get temporary blindness and fever. The hunters still get caught in it from time to time though. I also bought some glass and keep different cloths on hand for moods. I lost one dwarf due to a lack of glass, and our failure to that dwarf was recorded on two artifacts(one was an image of him dead on an artifact, the other was an image of that artifact on another artifact), so that we never forget our responsibility to provide...

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2014, 11:18:12 am »

I try to keep all of them alive, but its a complex game and I tend to overlook things and have epic fails.
For example on my most recent abandoned fort my dwarves ran out of booze causing several of the most skilled to die because I didnt look at the stocks list often enough, soon after that a dragon attacked and burned through a couple dwarves outside. Then to my horror BOTH drawbridges failed because I had set them to retract allowing the beast inside where it torched 2 squads before being killed by my last one. The damage completely messed up everything thanks to fire never going out.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2014, 12:15:22 pm »

The trick to protecting hunters in evil biomes is to lock down the surface and crack open the caverns. You just have to be prepared for the hordes down there, too, and hope you're not in a reanimating biome.

Kerbalrocketry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2014, 02:18:03 pm »

It depends on how i feel.
My favorite 'mean' fort is the split-tier fort, where some dwarfs live in luxury while others go without and are made to work. Those normally end in a 'workers rebellion' where all the workers tantrum spiral resulting in the death of the production side of the fort, the luxury side dies slowly as they run out of food...

Normally i'm kind, but every couple of forts i think of some 'challenge'. (the quickest was an idea where no traps were allowed and ALL dwarfs were part of a milita, cue first siege killing all my most important dwarfs who normally get a free-pass from military service...)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11