Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often have you been actively malicious towards your Dwarves?

Often: The fortress isn't meant to protect them. It's meant to entertain me.
On Occassion: We all need a bit of dark laughter now and then.
When necessary: As a means to an end, I'll kill a dwarf to save a dozen.
Never: The world is dangerous enough.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Has anyone tried to be a good, moral Overlord?  (Read 21885 times)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone tried to be a good, moral Overlord?
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2014, 04:20:28 pm »

Ouch.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2014, 12:57:45 pm »

Does painlessly atom-smashing dwarves so they don't have to face the horrors of the undead count as moral?

Not that I do that...

Heh...Heh...Heh...

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2014, 04:21:00 pm »

I'm the rare benevolent overlord.  I always try to give my dwarves everything they need.  I make all types of food, dye all their clothes, trade well with the elves and humans...I don't even kill cats, just stick 'em in pastures for vermin control and forget about them.  It's a rare dwarf or a mirgant that isn't ecstatic in my forts.  I even savescum to prevent unnecessary dwarf death.

Some might even call me boring, but I like keeping the stupid little beards happy and alive.  It pleases me to know that I've conquered natural selection and kept the morons from killing themselves.

Also, a sprawling magnificent fort full of happy dorfs makes for all the more amusement whenever it inevitably spirals into oblivion.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2014, 06:06:33 pm »

I like trying to be a benevolent overseer too, but what do you do when your military is dead, a necromancer is marching through your halls, and the last of your civilians are huddled in an room with a raised bridge and a single lever. Is it better to let the undead kill them, let them starve, or just end their suffering swiftly? Any advice before I make the final choice of my fortress?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2014, 06:18:05 pm »

Do they have a pick?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2014, 06:25:59 pm »

Do they have a pick?
Nope. And they're surrounded by a layer of stone, then my other halls so digging would lead them to the undead.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2014, 06:33:35 pm »

Atom Smash 'em. If I ever get dwarves who are incapable of caring for themselves and who would live wretched lives, I'll probably build a mercy booth and end them.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2014, 08:36:29 pm »

It's all a matter of pride. You have 2 options for maximum pride:

Draft everyone so they will fight to the death, then open the bridge. Let it be said that the Dwarves fought to their last!

OR

Hold out and starve. Let it not be said that the Dwarve's innermost sanctum could ever be taken, even with the death of its defenders! They die with dignity, denying the necromancer access to their corpses.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

ColdOneK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2014, 10:04:13 pm »

4x5 Dining
4x5 Office
4x5 + 3 Bedroom
I use channeling to make a farm for every grow-able plant on the first lvl below the surface - except dyes - I could care less
I dig grand dining rooms because I think they look awesome smoothed
I dig crazy massive multi-lvl Burial rooms filled with tombs for almost every dwarf - because I imagine visiting there after the fall of the civ - like in LOTR
I keep my pop cap at 160 for migrants - fps stays around 80+ because I chose a bad spot to breach the magma for my forge area now it's all 6/5's
2 leg Masons
1 Leg Carpenter
1 leg Weap smith
1 leg Furniture smith - prof metal crafter
1 leg glass maker
2 leg jewellers
15 leg Miners - 20total - military enabled wearing partial steel like the archers - for emergencies
40 leg melee dwarves - Full steel - leat cloak+hood+trousers - Full time
10 leg ranged dwarves + leg hammerdwarves had hell with getting the archery targets to work lol- Partial steel - Mail - legging - helm - rest leather - Full time
3 leg stone crafters
6 or so leg wood crafters
6 or so leg bone carvers
2 leg Leatherworkers
1 leg clothier
7 leg Engravers - my lava breacher got an elevation from peasant for being the first dwarf to suvive carving fortifs
0 Idlers as they piss me off - they can brew - cook - haul - farm - butcher - tan - mechanics - masonry - and chop wood, so they carry axes usually iron or better - if uniformed when not active actually worked, I'd equip ever dwarf in copper or better
so I feel less pathetic when Urist mc Original Weapon Master's only son is murdered by cheating goblin ambushes
I have a massive Elk Bird pop that gives me tons of leather and bones that I use my bone carvers to decorate w/e they want with
I can decorate with shell w/out issues - raw glass w/out issue - I like brooks
I used the forge loop trick to get steel quicker - had the mats, but I wanted full kits faster - but I don't use danger rooms - if you set the military right, they get strong enough by sparring by the time you can kit them out in gear that doesn't get raped by OP arrows/bolts - at least the first 10 - they rest learn by live fire under the command of the Legendary of that squad's weapon

Wish I had stayed with only the mayor - not because of mandates - I can produce anything and with exceptional quality or better
The thought where they're agitated about how some other dwarf's room is kickass is flat out annoying - and seriously affects their mood - enough so, it should be a bug
Also I don't use candy for armor/weaps - noone else can get it, so it's like cheap
Haven't breached hfs yet, on this one, but looking forward to it =]

Also I LIKE ELVES - they bring me Grizzly and Giant Leopards witch are crazy badass when trained for war - they eat goblin and kobold thieves - I have 3 with Names - like historical figure names
besides the wood armor is absolutely god awful, and would be a pain to deal with and the cloth clothing would give my dwarves bad thoughts, if they've been wearing the stuff my leg's pump out
I'd make war with humans -as they'd bring useful melting mats, but I've a 100+ back log of items to be melted
~likes grizzlies for the epicness - dwarves for their melee - prefers to drink bourbon and coke when possible - needs alcohol to get through the working day - a fat stubby creature prone to arrogance and bouts of insanity~

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2014, 10:48:14 pm »

I only kill the elves if I'm playing as a human, because when I'm going human, it's usually in a world with little mineral wealth. So I don't get metals of my own, and wind up building an economy based on farming. The Elves are trade rivals, and to be considered useful for resource inputs and little else.

Kill them.

Otherwise I'm peaceful with them because I wanna trade for animals and the like.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2014, 01:09:42 am »

It's all a matter of pride. You have 2 options for maximum pride:

Draft everyone so they will fight to the death, then open the bridge. Let it be said that the Dwarves fought to their last!

OR

Hold out and starve. Let it not be said that the Dwarve's innermost sanctum could ever be taken, even with the death of its defenders! They die with dignity, denying the necromancer access to their corpses.

I decided to go along with the second option, but dehydration is a painfully slow death. One threw a tantrum halfway through and killed 3 others with a sock, then died. I don't think I will be reclaiming though due to the necromancer.

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2014, 01:51:34 am »

I only kill the elves if I'm playing as a human, because when I'm going human, it's usually in a world with little mineral wealth. So I don't get metals of my own, and wind up building an economy based on farming. The Elves are trade rivals, and to be considered useful for resource inputs and little else.

Kill them.

Otherwise I'm peaceful with them because I wanna trade for animals and the like.

I kill elves no matter what race I play as.
---
I'm basically a good person to my dwarves (except idiotic nobles) and evil to anything that gives me lip (Such as a noble). Sometimes when a dwarf does a stupid dwarfy thing, like letting in a horde of undead to grab store his xpig tail fiber sockx instead of pulling the main gate lever, i'll send him into the grinder.
When it comes to rooms and such, 2x6 rooms in stone and a legendary dining hall. On occasion i'll give em cabinets and chests, statues for my legends, and the finest modded drinks and meals.
And on a somewhat related topic, I don't object to dwarves making *saber tooth meat roasts* :P
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2014, 05:21:23 am »

I did once press-gang a vampire into the army and send him armed only with a robe and nothing else against three cave ogres. He managed to kill one, and then got his spine broken and was promptly kicked to death.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2014, 10:45:58 am »

I was digging a well supplied by an overhead aquifer. I planned everything perfectly. I had diagonal flow to stop pressure so it won't come out of the well. I had setup 2 wall constructions for the escape tunnel, one of them would be suspended so they would build on the correct side. I already had the stone hauled in place and suspended it right before construction was complete. So I tell the miner to dig up until he hit the aquifer. He starts getting drenched and I give him a moment to escape then unsuspend the construction to seal the water in. I only have a brief time until the well fills up so I turn on masonry for everybody and disable everyone's tasks.

Dwarf comes along and builds the construction from the diagonal on the inside of the well. I didn't even know that was possible. I debated the risk of opening the wall in my mind.  Then I built him a slab.
The dwarfs are going to have a well with a dead body in it.

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2014, 11:04:00 am »

It rarely crosses my mind to be a dick to my Dwarves, though I tend to ignore their more pointless demands
"Urist Mcpeasant has complained about the lack of chairs recently"
"Urist Mcpeasant wants not to be sacrificed to the magma in an attempt to appease Armok"

Usually when they tantrum it's because one of them injured their baby whilst wielding the thing in combat against a titan.

I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11