Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online: Removing Subscription Requirements  (Read 60100 times)

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online: A Thing That's Happening
« Reply #255 on: April 01, 2014, 03:00:32 am »

Dragon breaks were invented to explain the Warp in the West. At least, I'm not aware of any references to non-linear time until after Daggerfall.

Edit so I'm on topic: Played through multiple betas, enjoying the game more now that I'm not rushing through it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 01, 2014, 03:02:08 am »

Because there was no need for it.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 01, 2014, 03:09:26 am »

Point is we shouldn't be surprised that the concept of the dragon break explains Daggerfall's ending when that is its purpose. Knowing that, what's the purpose of The Dragon Break (the "millennium" long one during the First Era)?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 01, 2014, 03:20:41 am »

Point is we shouldn't be surprised that the concept of the dragon break explains Daggerfall's ending when that is its purpose. Knowing that, what's the purpose of The Dragon Break (the "millennium" long one during the First Era)?

The way I see the Elder Scrolls storyline is that time and space is rather fluid.

So that multiple events can all occur at the same time. Yet the denizens of Elderscrolls are mostly unaware of this phenomenon.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 01, 2014, 06:08:57 am »

Just popped in here to say this game is fun... BUT... Bugs. Everywhere and they're gamebreaking (restarting the quest doesn't fix it). You don't notice them because they're all quest related but there's some really big issues with objects needed to advance a quest not spawning. It's a server-wide thing, and right now the only solution is to relog on and off until you're placed in a server instance where the quest isn't bugged. Some people say they needed to relog more than 10 times before finding an unbugged instanced.

I have three active quests that are bugged, and I've managed to finish about two that were bugged by relogging.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 01, 2014, 02:04:50 pm »

I remember when I thought I understood TES. I fought against the people who said things like "Dragons/magic/whatever, therefore departure from reality, therefore departure from logic itself, therefore purple bunny rabbits from space funding the Thalmor would be internally consistent." But damn, the more I dig, the more esoteric and unreachable the truth seems to get.

Logic works, you just have a few different axioms to work with, like time being something that can get confused.

Hell, that one explains quite a bit, believe it or not. Just the very concept of dragon breaks explains handily C0DA, Skyrim, the monologue at the end of Oblivion, Daggerfall's ending, Online's transcription errors (not joking, the more you look in the more obvious it gets), Nerevar's many deaths, Vivec's god/mortal duality...
I know about the whole axioms thing. But every time I think I have a handle on what they are, someone brings up a piece of obscura that completely changes how everything else works.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 01, 2014, 07:12:47 pm »

Is anybody else playing? If I give this another go I'd like to have actual people to group with this time around. I'd prefer Aldmeri Dominion but I can play any faction.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 02, 2014, 01:24:01 am »

It still bugs me that the Elder Scrolls are so unimportant to... Elder scrolls.

To the extent that some of them let you casually carry around the Elder Scrolls like it was nothing.

Wait bugs me? that isn't accurate. It is hilarious!

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 02, 2014, 03:03:24 am »

You can carry them though. They're indestructible and lightweight. Actually reading them is another matter entirely.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 02, 2014, 09:38:46 am »

You can carry them though. They're indestructible and lightweight. Actually reading them is another matter entirely.

Well that is because... and this is my theory

That the Elder Scrolls in the Elder Scrolls series... is the computer game you are playing.

So how are you going to read an elder scroll if you the player are already reading an elder scroll?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:41:25 am by Neonivek »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 02, 2014, 11:09:36 am »

I think that this is kind of relevant to this thread.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 02, 2014, 12:48:48 pm »

Well that is because... and this is my theory

That the Elder Scrolls in the Elder Scrolls series... is the computer game you are playing.

So how are you going to read an elder scroll if you the player are already reading an elder scroll?

Fourth wall stuff is laaaaaaaame :I

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 02, 2014, 01:06:27 pm »

Well at the time of this post the North American eso server has been down for 12 hours for emergency maintenance.  I guess they managed to time it to when most of the US was asleep and working I guess.  But people are starting to get more and more vocal complaining now. 

On one hand it's early access and it's bound to go down for some kind of problem or another.  On the other hand this is a bit longer than what would be expected for one maintenance, and it's starting to look more and more like the advertised 5 and 3 days head start is inching closer and closer to 4 and 2 days headstart.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 02, 2014, 05:07:00 pm »

Fourth wall stuff is laaaaaaaame :I

Fourth wall was broken when the Provisional House was introduced.

*snip*

The problems with how they handled this maintenance would be that they gave us no in-game warning until it was 15 minutes away, they gave us no time estimate until several hours in, they said nothing about a large-ish patch until several hours in, and one of the community managers repeatedly kept posting a message to the effect of "server is still down", which is absolutely useless when the same thing is effectively stickied at the top of the forum and trolls everyone into thinking something useful is being said. They really need to hire a PR person who knows how to provide useful, non-confusing information.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31