Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: Oasis/Adventures in Hightown (OOC and Sign up thread 5/6 spots )  (Read 19652 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Personally, I think you should keep increasing ranks in at least alchemy. That stuff is useful! Definitely rank up in listen and spot next level though, we need those bad.

I really need to get some stuff that increases my initiative...

You might try to get improved initiative feat, raise your dex, or buy a weapon of warning.

Edit: Also, I sent knowledge checks to everyone but Culise, who rolled a 2.

I tried to personalize them all in a way I thought befits your characters. :)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

Personally, I think you should keep increasing ranks in at least alchemy. That stuff is useful! Definitely rank up in listen and spot next level though, we need those bad.

I really need to get some stuff that increases my initiative...

You might try to get improved initiative feat, raise your dex, or buy a weapon of warning.

Edit: Also, I sent knowledge checks to everyone but Culise, who rolled a 2.

I tried to personalize them all in a way I thought befits your characters. :)
Heh.  Maybe I should have taken some ranks in knowledge. ^_^

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

I can't afford to spend points in knowledge... However I did get a neat Goliath rhyme. Seems like I was right about the fey sort of thing, since I bet it has damage resistance of some kind. I should be able to hack right through though with the sheer damage I can do, so it's not that bad.

For those who have them, I think we should use silver weapons. Or magic. Or fire. Whatever gets through that resistance!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, even untrained, getting a DC 10 on a knowledge roll will give you limited and fragmentary or possibly false information. :)

I suppose how good I'm feeling that day...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

You'll want your lore to explain the differences to me, of course, from a standard Dwarf.

*jumps into another group's thread*

I was actually also intending to play a Gold Dwarf, and I had some idea of what kind of lore they might have. I thought of them as a civilization separate from the main dwarf kingdoms that was going through a golden age before the end of the Terminus Wars. Being at peace and formidably wealthy thanks to the mines of their homeland, they would have held a lot of diplomatic relations with their neighbors, mostly for trade, and as such got along better with non-dwarves. However, due to a long time of peace, they would have lost much of the warrior culture most dwarves are known for (explaining the penalty to dexterity rather than charisma), and would have been hit extremely hard by the apocalypse.

That was the bulk of the idea, anyway. Does that work with you, scriver?

I had about the same idea, but I had them placed sorta in-between the surface and the Underdark, thus being the main procurer of trade between those two worlds - explaining both their wealth and their combat training against Aberrations (because I think a lot of what usually inhabits the deep-depths are Aberrations, right?). I envisioned large merchant clans/houses whose members are separated by casts/guilds (so you'd dwarves have noble-merchants, craftsmen, soldier etc. castmembers all in belonging to the same clan-house) with the lower casts living miserable lives in constant danger in the mines and deeper reaches and the high casts living in comfortable wealth and splendour near and on the surface. Then, when the apocalypse came, very few belonging to the Deep-Guilds made it to the surface (not to mention that Gold Dwarves were probably hit particularly hard to begin with), leaving those Gold Dwarves who made it to the Oasis mostly skill/craftless merchants, noblemen, and politicians - people who once based their living and status on wealth and trade but who now lacked both; as well as what parts of their personal guards remained and a tiny minority of actually skilled people, whether goldsmiths, armorers, or miners, or other stereotypical dwarf professions ;)
Love, scriver~

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, plenty of aberrations occupy the underground biomes...though just as many as totally bizarre, random monsters-in truth, if you find a race that's keen on irresponsible magic experimentation (like say, the Drow in D&D standard), you'll find plenty of aberrations in those settings-almost none of them are natural, having being created artificially, but acclimated to their habitats after escape or being released.

At least that's my take on it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, and by the way Dwarmin, while trying to find some definition of Aberration other than my glanced "a monster that is weird in dome way" (turns out "a monster that is weird in dome way" was the official definition too though ;) ) I stumbled onto Sorcerer Bloodline feats. What say you? Acceptable? If you want specifics I'm thinking of Earth Bloodline, because dwarves and such.
Love, scriver~

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Scriver: Link it to me or tell me where to find it :P

Also, grats on your first win guys!

That was some nice teamwork.

~doo de doo.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 12:55:44 pm by Dwarmin »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, right, of course. Here it is. What say you? Too OP for a Battle Sorcerer? Allthough my character isn't really all that optimized what with the stat spread, I guess.
Love, scriver~

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a bit tricky, but prolly not OP. It's not like you're getting back the spell slots you sacrifice normally.

I'll allow it. *judge nod*

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

HAng on. Did you PM us our knowledge checks? Because I don't see anything like that.
Am I just blind?

Remember, Dwar, its gigla, not gilga :P
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

Doesn't really matter now, cause I just chopped that sucker down big time. Go Gracewyn! Show that damage resistance who's boss!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I did, when the fight started. Rolled against Dc10 for common knowledge, and I thought it'd be fun to send everyone personalized ones. :P

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Arg, threw half the alchemist fire I'm carrying to only get one damage and see the fecker hacked to pieces instead!

Good work/rolling, Gracewyn.

edit: is there anything I can do about my minor damage? It's surely not worth wasting a CLW potion on, is it? I don't think doing a Heal check on myself will cure the HP before we get to the Sluice?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 02:04:25 pm by lawastooshort »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Arg, threw half the alchemist fire I'm carrying to only get one damage and see the fecker hacked to pieces instead!

Good work/rolling, Gracewyn.

edit: is there anything I can do about my minor damage? It's surely not worth wasting a CLW potion on, is it? I don't think doing a Heal check on myself will cure the HP before we get to the Sluice?

Aside from resting or magic, nope.

I could roll up a church for you if you want to look for one...most Clerics offer healing for 'appropriate donations'

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16