Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: Oasis/Adventures in Hightown (OOC and Sign up thread 5/6 spots )  (Read 19651 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Either way, don't bother to make any changes with your sheet unless you really want to...like I said, it's not going to break the game at these low levels, and I dont really care.

I really don't care.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Wait, what? I have 2 levels of fey (d6+1, so thats 6+1 and 4+1) and one of sorcerer (1d4,+1, so 3+1) to make 7+5+4 = 16.

Is that wrong? Why? I thought that was how you did it.
That's Racial Hit Dice.  Level Adjustment is plainly "your level is considered 2 higher than what it is."  Racial Hit Dice is "your race is tougher than most, so have 2 'free' levels."  Racial Hit Dice is better early, but worse later, because Level Adjustment is frequently allowed to "bought off;" which is reducing the Adjustment at later levels (the system for reducing Level Adjustment is: Every LAx3 class levels(LA=2 x 3=6, so at level 6) you can lose experience equal to your (Effective Character Level x 1000) in order to reduce your LA by 1.  You'll go from Level 8 to Level 7, however because you will need less experience to level up from that point onward AND you will earn more experience against equivalent challenges than you would have before, you'll catch up fairly quickly.

For Level Adjustment +2 races, they can "buy off" their Level Adjustments at Class Level 6 and Level 9.  For a Level Adjustment +1, they can buy theirs off at Class Level 3.

For some reason this just makes no sense to me whatsoever. I'm blaming it both on being late and having been at the pub.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

@Dwarmin, do we know how far we are from our destination, roughly? (and I presume our destination is Mrs Wood? Although I suggested it would be best if we don't all go together, so is our destination a meeting point not far from Mrs Wood so Grace and Giglamesh can go together? Or perhaps we shouldn't split the party anyway?)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I suspected you guys would travel together toward the meeting point, then split up when you got closer to the widows neighborhood. It's much more likely someone is watching the widow, rather than having tailed you through the entire city without you noticing. Which is why you would separate at that point.

But let's say you are about two hours to your destination-you pretty much need a urban ranger to move quickly through Lowtown...and, I'm fudging distance, but at the going rate you'll have plenty of time to get to the Sluice and back (hopefully) before nightfall. If you detour, however, you'll be cutting it close.

It's really quite dangerous going alone, though. I wouldn't want to assume that is what you would do unless you state it directly. :P

I mean, I'm judging encounters based on how your group is perceived-and right now you can bluff off most of the typical encounters you'd face by force of numbers and arms.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Scent is really useful!

And fun to describe.

It's certainly good for detecting ambushes...

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

Yep, it's why I took Hunter's Sense as my starting stance over the other available stances. That and stances count as manoeuvres in the prerequisites for getting later manoeuvres, and there's some pretty neat Tiger Claw manoeuvres that I plan on getting later, like Swooping Dragon that let's me stun on a jump check!

Also planning on getting Hearing the Air later, so I get Blindsight without a feat or gear. That's also pretty sweet.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, it's gonna be useful since no one in your party took any ranks in spot or listen... :P

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

I find it funny that not even the party rogue took any ranks in those. :P

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Er I thought I'd taken one or two... I only had 66 skills to distribute I think, so...

Edit: yeah! I took 3 in each! And will take more as soon as I can...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 08:52:35 am by lawastooshort »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Edit: Actually, it dose look like he took half ranks in them.

I didn't notice because he had no WIS bonus. Still pretty low, but better than nothing I suppose. And he can max them later, now that he has all his technical skills.

Editedit: Actually, I'll say-the way this *thing* in front of your party is written, even Eli the Ranger couldn't spot it when it's standing still.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 08:52:53 am by Dwarmin »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Yes, I had a lot of points to distribute, but spent a lot on RP, with heal, alchemy, anatomy, profession...

Edit: on phone or not available for several hours so minimal post...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 08:59:30 am by lawastooshort »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

So, I'm sorry for being so unresponsive, Dwarmin, but I had some time issues and trouble coming up with a concept that hooked me. I do have one now, though. Here's the beginnings of the sheet. But before I go all the way, would you accept a Gold Dwarf from Forgotten Realms? If you're not familiar with them, the main differences from the standard dwarves is that they get a -2 to Dex instead of Cha, and a +1 against Aberrations instead of Goblins/Orcs.
Love, scriver~

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have read through the different subraces, and consider them legal. It's approved. I myself once played a Desert Dwarf Bard Warlock, who sadly passed away trying to fight a barbarian in hand to hand combat...

You'll want your lore to explain the differences to me, of course, from a standard Dwarf.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

Personally, I think you should keep increasing ranks in at least alchemy. That stuff is useful! Definitely rank up in listen and spot next level though, we need those bad.

I really need to get some stuff that increases my initiative...

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile

You'll want your lore to explain the differences to me, of course, from a standard Dwarf.

*jumps into another group's thread*

I was actually also intending to play a Gold Dwarf, and I had some idea of what kind of lore they might have. I thought of them as a civilization separate from the main dwarf kingdoms that was going through a golden age before the end of the Terminus Wars. Being at peace and formidably wealthy thanks to the mines of their homeland, they would have held a lot of diplomatic relations with their neighbors, mostly for trade, and as such got along better with non-dwarves. However, due to a long time of peace, they would have lost much of the warrior culture most dwarves are known for (explaining the penalty to dexterity rather than charisma), and would have been hit extremely hard by the apocalypse.

That was the bulk of the idea, anyway. Does that work with you, scriver?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16