Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: You know what I hate?  (Read 1361 times)

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
You know what I hate?
« on: November 11, 2013, 05:15:03 pm »

Voracious Cave Crawlers can suck my plump helmet. How do I beat these Armok-awful, goblin-mount wiggling maws? My speardwarf commander stabbed one in the teeth from behind (because that apparently is a thing that can happen) and all its teeth came out, and then it abruptly gummed him to death. Curse you, Voracious Cave Crawlers, you big ugly worms!
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: You know what I hate?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 05:22:49 pm »

Your speardwarf didn't take out all of its teeth. The Crawler was still armed. Or toothed.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 05:24:13 pm »

Your speardwarf didn't take out all of its teeth. The Crawler was still armed. Or toothed.

It was pretty funny to watch. Little bone pictures went EEEEEEEEEVERYWHERE.

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 04:41:47 am »

Why are you trying to kill them anyway? Cage traps and animal trainers.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 07:44:55 am »

Unless you mod them, they don't breed and as invaders won't get properly integrated, so their only use is for meat/bones/leather, and you can harvest that just as well by killing them right away.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 08:44:23 am »

If you mod them to give live birth, the offspring will be allied to your fortress. Based on draltha breeding, non-tame animals that are chained up will be fertile without ever fighting with dwarves or scaring them.

VCCs seem like they'd be pretty badass. Their only attack is a latching bite, and they're large enough for the universal 'push' attack to pack a punch.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 09:13:06 am »

Unless you mod them, they don't breed and as invaders won't get properly integrated, so their only use is for meat/bones/leather, and you can harvest that just as well by killing them right away.
I disagree with your analysis. Assuming your trainers are halfway adequate, you should be able to keep them domesticated for rather a long time before they need retraining. Retraining takes a minimum of management and can be done in a secure facility.

In the extreme long term, training them will give your civ experience with them and you may eventually get them to "domesticated" status. Even without that, a fairly tame crawler makes a great guard dog or execution pit denizen. Killing such a powerful ally is a terrible waste.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 10:16:46 am »

You can make a Dwarven Rancor pit!

Set it beneath the King's chamber and set a trap door to a lever he can have pulled. other Nobles come to him with complaints and . . . crunch.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 10:18:14 am »

I disagree with your analysis.
I disagree with your disagreement. If they are from sieges, they are badly bugged. Keeping them tame and preventing them from munching on random dwarves while still being shown as "friendly" is close to impossible.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 10:51:32 am »

Additionally, you can never train a particular kind of animal enough to domesticate the whole species.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 01:41:44 pm »

I disagree with your analysis.
I disagree with your disagreement. If they are from sieges, they are badly bugged. Keeping them tame and preventing them from munching on random dwarves while still being shown as "friendly" is close to impossible.
Well when OP tells us he/she's specifically talking about crawlers from sieges, I'll allow your point. Until then, my case stands.

CRM114

• Bay Watcher
  • Rutile walls
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 04:48:48 pm »

Additionally, you can never train a particular kind of animal enough to domesticate the whole species.

Is this true? I thought that you couldn't do it with a specific animal but if you train a mother then its offspring should retain the mother's training level - so with a couple of generations you'd be able to domesticate the species.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 05:12:41 pm »

Is this true? I thought that you couldn't do it with a specific animal but if you train a mother then its offspring should retain the mother's training level - so with a couple of generations you'd be able to domesticate the species.

Even if this is true, I believe I have a huge phobia of these things now and don't want to mess around with the stupid wigglers.

Oh by the way, everyone died. And yes, it was from a siege. And no, I didn't have any cage traps. I was hoping the 5 10 x serrated iron disc weapon traps would do.

They had over 40 of the things so I wasn't really going to make a huge dent on that only 3 years in. And my steel industry was going so well D:

What's the best weapon to use against a monster that is just a big wiggling mouth? I was relatively balanced, with 2 spearmen, 2 axedwarves, 2 swordsdwarves and a couple hammermen. No crossbowdwarves however.

(In before magma)

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 06:42:09 pm »

You can't domesticate the species; the best you can get is "Expert".  But, offspring DO retain the mother's training level, and offspring can be further trained into Tame status.  They are not domesticated, any more than a grizzly bear the elves bring you is domesticated, but they are tame.  These tame children will have tame babies, so it is almost the same as domesticating the species.  The main difference is that a random wild turkey (domesticated) not eat your dwarves, but a random wild cave crawler (expert level trainers) will.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 07:18:00 pm »

These tame children will have tame babies, so it is almost the same as domesticating the species.  The main difference is that a random wild turkey (domesticated) not eat your dwarves, but a random wild cave crawler (expert level trainers) will.

That is totally unacceptable. I don't have an infinite supply of cheesemakers so I don't want this. Did I mention I hate Voracious Cave Crawlers?

The only thing I can think of is to make a cave crawler pen in the secondary entrance to the fort and stuff it full of the gross things. But they'll probably just run away from goblins like toothy spastics.

Can you tell that I hate these things? First thing I encountered from the caverns that wiped my fortress, once.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 07:19:48 pm by FrankMcFuzz »
Pages: [1] 2