Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: You know what I hate?  (Read 1351 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: You know what I hate?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 08:01:24 pm »

The main difference is that a random wild turkey (domesticated) not eat your dwarves, but a random wild cave crawler (expert level trainers) will.
Turkeys are pretty harmless though. Maybe a better comparison would be yaks or buffalo, which are also powerful domestic creatures that are found wild. The wild ones won't fight unless cornered, but they can really ruin a dwarf's day if they do attack.

With non-domestic species, you can tame and train individuals, but you have to start over when you start a new fortress. What I believe should happen is that once your fortress amasses enough knowledge about training a species, you send enough information back to the Mountainhome for your whole civ to be able to domesticate the species. Then you'd be able to embark with them next time, since you can embark with domestic animals.

Enemy mounts will never belong to your fortress, regardless of species. Their offspring don't belong to the civ that brought them, based on the reaction of human siegers to the foals their horse mounts can give birth to.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]