Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1126802 times)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: After the End
« Reply #5970 on: April 25, 2016, 04:15:19 pm »

((I find this alien adorable. I really want one as a pet. Damn you Alan!))
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: April 25, 2016, 04:22:45 pm »

"I think I'll call you ... Rickman! D'you like having a name, Rickman? C'mon, I'll introduce you to my other friends."

Give Rickman another donut and beckon him to come along with me while I go find Ike or Irine or Theri or Zech but probably Ike or Irine because those other two are really lost in their own thoughts
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: April 25, 2016, 07:10:57 pm »

<Hey, D? Do we need River to revive Nik or can we do it on our own?>
Am waiting outside the crash near Ike.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5973 on: April 28, 2016, 06:18:00 am »

((I'll be working on a turn for the others next.))

Well, there's no foundation that you can see from this close to the thing, but the debris surrounding your location are doing a good work of obscuring your vision. However, from your previous inspection, the one you made before approaching, you don't remember seeing any sort of foundation close to the centre of the debris field.

Search around. Check the other large pieces. Try to work out a theory of this collapse.
You try to navigate the debris for a few moments, but you soon realize that trying to navigate between them is not very easy when you have no idea where you are going and when you have to climb or watch out for falling debris or avoid stepping on a sharp piece of metal or find some piece of tarp intact enough for you to swing across a gap. So you just say screw it and start climbing on a tall piece of debris that is leaning against the piece closest to you, the one that is blocking the road.

From your new vantage point that is now much closer to the centre of the debris field, you can clearly see that there is no central point in this. There's the three pieces and then there's debris of various shapes and sizes arranged around them, chaotically but somewhat symmetrically, in the sense that they get smaller and less intact the further away you get from them. You also take note of the various paths around the debris so that you don't get lost again.

You also take note of the small number of people moving around one of the pieces or through the paths close to it. It looks like they have set up a camp there, using pieces of cloth and tarp to seal off cracks and holes in one of the pieces to form sheltered areas. Strange that they chose that piece to settle in. You'd think that they'd choose the one closest to the road.

However hard you look, you can't find any conclusive evidence of what happened here. Nothing is screaming at you, saying "This is what happened!". All you know is what your investigation has revealed: "This is something large and artificial that fell from somewhere sometime recently (maybe within the last month). It fell hard enough to get damaged but not hard enough to get completely destroyed and it suffered very significant heat damage but stopped just shy of actually getting burnt. It's mostly made of lightweight wood and metal but also a large amount of cloth and tarp. Its insides contain both cramped spaces and large empty areas. Some such areas were crewed and some contained work areas with steam engines and machinery in them. There were some pipes that were presumably used to somehow power the steam engines but there was no obvious powersource."

<Hey, D? Do we need River to revive Nik or can we do it on our own?>
Am waiting outside the crash near Ike.
<Hmmm... Do it on your own? No, I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that only he can get revived on his own and even for him it's not quick or easy. Without someone who is able to read and use the soulsphere's markers AND use magic to recreate their body and mind AND properly link it to their soul... It would be like trying to fly with wings you just crafted from paper a few seconds after learning about flying while having lived in a system of cramped caves your entire life. At best it will fail, at worst they will come back wrong.>

<Well, I suppose I could do it, if you let me try. The way I see it, anyone who's got some basic training and a bit of magical skill could theoretically do it. I mean, if a completely unskilled idiot like big black doge can do it, then I certainly can, even if I had to work through you.>

<Only problem is where to get the power for it. Creating matter and manipulating energy isn't exactly cheap and I don't have anything to draw on. Well, I've got you babe, but I'd prefer not to risk hurting you or stopping the revival before it's done. We'd need a powerful powersource or lots of you linking up and helping me. Preferably both.>

"I think I'll call you ... Rickman! D'you like having a name, Rickman? C'mon, I'll introduce you to my other friends."

Give Rickman another donut and beckon him to come along with me while I go find Ike or Irine or Theri or Zech but probably Ike or Irine because those other two are really lost in their own thoughts
You use the lure of more doughnuts to entice Rickman into following you. He squawks and starts following you curiously, moving around in his strange half-walking half-jumpy way, moving with you outside while you go search for the others. (Hmm... Jumpy... Almost as if Earth's gravity is too low for him... More evidence that he is an alien.)

"Mum, mum! Look what I've found!"
*sigh* "Alan, how many times have I told you not to abduct every member of the local flora and fauna you can get your hands on?"
"Yes." Alan says and looks down disappointedly. But a moment later, his face lights up.
"But Rickman's not local! He's an alien! And besides, he's cute! Look at how cute he is! Can we please please keep him?"

"Now, now, first of all, I'm pretty sure he's a she, or at least she smells like one. And second, taking care of it won't be easy. This isn't just a toy you might break. This is a living thing. Owning a pet is a big responsibility. Especially when it belongs to an unknown species. Who knows what it can do, what it needs to eat or if it might try to swallow you whole while you sleep or-"
"Oooohh, coome ooon moooom! I'll clean him, I'll feed him, I'll take him out for walks, I'll take care of him, I'll play with him, I'll love him and I won't ever ever let him go!"
Rickman emits muffled squwaks while he frantically (and futilely) tries to push Alan away as he (she?) is crushed under Alan's loving embrace.
"Can I keep him? Pleaspleaspleaspleaspleeease?"
"I told you Alan. I just don't think you're ready to-"
"Ugh. Fine! I'll go ask dad. He'll let me keep Rickman because he's way cooler."
"Fine! Go ask him! See what he says!"
"Fine! I will!" Alan shouts while stomping away.
"Fine!"
"Fine!"
"... I am cool too." Irine mutters to herself when Alan has left.

"Dad! Dad!"
"What is it Alan? Ike-y is busy examining this crash site right now."
"Can I keep Rickman?"
"Uhh... Yeah, sure, whatever you like. ... Wait, who's Rickman?"
"My pet alien!"
"Hmmm.... I don't know. Did you ask-"
"I did. She said that I should ask you."
"Huh. So she's OK with it as long as I'm OK with it? That's strange." Ike mutters to himself.
"I told her you'd definitely say yes, since there's no way you could be less cool than her."
"Err, yes, yes, of course. You can have your pet Alan, whatever you like."
"Yay! Thanks Ike, you're the best!"
"Oh, hehe, okay, sure, whatever. Now please go play somewhere else, Ike-y has to work now. OK?"
"OK!" Alan says as he runs away.
"Me, less cool than her? How ridiculous." Ike mutters to himself a few moments later.

<D, can you please stop doing this?>
<Doing what?>
<Dubbing and doing voiceovers of people I'm talking to.>
<Why? It's fun and I'm bored.>
<Bored? We were literally just talking a minute ago, when Alan interrupted us with his... thing.>
<I get bored easily. I also have a very short attention span.>
<... Anyway, can you please not do that? It's distracting.>
<What's distracting?>
<Doing voiceovers.>
<Who's doing voiceovers?>
<You're doing this on purpose, aren't you?>
<I don't know what you're talking about.>

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: April 28, 2016, 11:50:34 am »

Campaign, Ike!

"Looks like this thing fell from the sky or something. Some kind of airship, most likely. Well, not the first airline crash I've had the pleasure to loot."

Make myself a stylish torn cloak out of tarp. Check around for any unlooted valuables. Or a black box!

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5975 on: April 29, 2016, 01:55:38 am »

<Probably not worth the risk then. I just hope River rejoins us soon.>
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: April 29, 2016, 02:01:58 am »

Alan on the Campaign!

"So, can you talk, Rickman? Or do you just not know English? Me Alan, you Rickman."

Attempt to identify if my alien friend can speak English.
Sig! Onol

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5977 on: May 01, 2016, 09:49:48 pm »

After the End

The door opened itself? An invitation! Enter the room and be prepared to shoot anything that moves. Do it medieval SWAT style. If the room is clear, look for my opponent elsewhere.
There is a pneumatic hiss and the door retracts into the wall fairly quickly (for a door of its size and thickness). Good. None of those ultra slow doors that take three turns to open.

You quickly scan the room and... Wait a second. There's nobody here. Nothing but frozen images on screens surrounding a throne-like chair. And the window is missing. So...

Crap. He went out the window, didn't he? Well, I mean, if he was smart enough he wouldn't go out the window, he'd merely break the window and hide so that it would look like he tried to escape and then leave after you left to search for him, rather than risk one unlucky step sending him to his death. But you're pretty sure he's just smart enough and lucky enough to be the biggest inconvenience possible to you.

You approach the window and look outside. The light from your eyes combined with the emergency lighting is enough to let you take a good look out there. Aaaand... Yep. Gone. Just like you expected. There's nothing there. Nothing but an empty ledge that disappears behind the curve of the building.

Dammit. Why did they make this ledge so small?! It's like they weren't expecting it to be used by a walking tank for some reason.

<Svajoklis, After the end>
With what happened, I'd rather not be around when people begin to protest.
Take the window pass and attempt to make my way to the armory.
The door is opening. Looks like you have run out of options. You bash the window as hard as you can with your book until it bends out of shape and falls out of its frame... disappearing right into the darkness below. Crap. Why did you had to look down?

You try to keep your balance and ignore the stale, unfiltered air rushing into the room as you climb outside and step onto the ledge going around the building. You try not to look down into the darkness and the tiny islands of light in it, islands that you know are actually quite large. Then it's just a matter of clinging to the wall as hard as you can, slowly moving away and hoping you don't slip on anything or trip on a maintenance hook or maintenance port or other piece of crap (literally, you've heard there's bats up here).

You manage to avoid falling to your death long enough to squeeze between the central tower and the wall of natural rock (reinforced by concrete and metal) that make up the compartment locks. If you understood the layout of the compartments correctly, this should take you to compartment 2. And if the map of this place was accurate, then the security room should have a window facing into compartment 3. So, just one more to go. Yay. Sort of.

However, as you pass by the window of this part of the building (a bunch of empty bunks by the look of it) you realize something. The window you used to get out was already partially bent and damaged. The one here is intact. The one you'll find in your destination will probably be intact too. Breaking it while also avoiding falling to your death... that might turn out to be difficult.

Do the anchor shell thing I did before. Activate the new offensive thing. Keep charging. Blast the creature with whatever I've got if it gets through.
You push your body, your limbs splitting and forming into new implements of death, ready to strike at anyone who approaches.
Hello again

Modify the poison emitters to instead leak caustic gas, A.K.A. airborne acid. Make my skin and fur resistant to the gas. Then, emit large bursts of this acidic mixture towards the tentacle monster. Charge forth, roaring.

"FEAR ME, TENTACLE DEMON THING. I SHALL ANNIHILATE THEE."
You manage to get your modifications working exactly as you described them. Let's hope you didn't forget anything important~

You charge forth, closer to the small forest of tentacles. As you do so, the few tentacles that are currently not hard and wrapped around something turn to point at you. They launch themselves at you, but you easily avoid them and respond with some gas. However, while the gas does affect the tentacles close to you, weakening them, it appears to be pushed away from the heart of the creature, as if there's a luminous wind blowing away from it.

The light being emitted by the monster takes on a violet hue.

Now would be an appropriate time to abandon ship, I believe. Jump away, hopefully onto another vehicle, and position the vortex between myself and the missile, enlarging it as much as I can.
You look at the vehicle in front of your own. Okay. You just have to jump to it. That's easy. Just... jump... between two moving vehicles...
Damn. Damn! You can't do it. You can't do it! You're going to die. You're-

The missile drives itself through the back door, shedding its shell in the process, leaving only the rising and falling buzzing of its plasma engine, as it struggles to propel itself through the inner door of the vehicle, where it has become embedded.

Whew. That was lucky. You had enlarged your vortex as much as you dared, but you weren't sure that was enough to stop an explosion.

Eat that.

Let's try that lightweight armor that is good against bullets again.
You get an expensive looking brown jumpsuit that has a number of coloured Tron lines on it.

After the End
Bryan

Get next to the access port if it's closed, can I start trying to get into the guys head?
The access port is open, so you don't get too close to it.

You try to start infiltrating his mind, but the continuous echoes and repetitions you sense are making it difficult to concentrate.

<After The End>

Hmmmm.

Nah, let's just ambush the chaser.

You wait.

Nothing happens.

How anticlimactic.

Campaign

<Probably not worth the risk then. I just hope River rejoins us soon.>
<Eh. If you say so. Still, I think it would be worth a shot to at least let me take a look, if we found a nice power source. You know, let me assess the situation, see if I think I can do it with it. I mean, a simple look couldn't hurt, right?>

<Besides, I'm a lot better at this than our lost puppy overlord, so I could probably do it much cheaper too. Wouldn't even need a very big power source.>

Alan on the Campaign!

"So, can you talk, Rickman? Or do you just not know English? Me Alan, you Rickman."

Attempt to identify if my alien friend can speak English.
The alien emits a drawn out squawk that one could say sounds kinda like "Rickman". Then again, it could just be wishful thinking on your part

Well, one thing is certain. If it understands English, then it certainly can't speak it very well.

Campaign, Ike!

"Looks like this thing fell from the sky or something. Some kind of airship, most likely. Well, not the first airline crash I've had the pleasure to loot."

Make myself a stylish torn cloak out of tarp. Check around for any unlooted valuables. Or a black box!
As you walk around, searching for anything interesting, it occurs: the floor collapses, sending you into a cramped and battered room.

In it, there is...There's a giant swinging his sword at you! You dodge out of the way. Nothing happens. You check again. It's still there. And it hasn't moved an inch.

As the dust settles and your eyes adjust to the darkness, you can finally see what it really is. A humanoid made from rock and occasionally covered by metal that forms interesting geometric patterns, almost like decorations. It lacks a head, instead having a very big torso. One arm has a giant metal blade on it instead of a hand while the other hand appears to be missing, only an empty socket in its place. It appears to have suffered little damage (just a few scratches and dents), the restraints holding it in place having taken most of the damage instead.

Except for the hand, it looks intact, but you aren't sure how exactly it could be useful. You can't take the blade away, it's stuck to the arm. You could maybe take the restraints left, have them as spare rope? That thing looks cold, dead and unmoving, so it's probably fine?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 09:52:01 pm by Parisbre56 »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5978 on: May 01, 2016, 10:43:28 pm »

"GRAAGH! I just want somebody to fight, dangit!"

Kosak sighs, then gets to exploring. Every so often while he does so, he shouts out his intent to kill in such a manner that would have everybody in a mile wide radius after him.
Just in case you missed it.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: May 01, 2016, 10:45:09 pm »

"Hrmph."

Check the quality of the armor.  Is it pretty or is it useful?  Regardless, get me a beam weapon.  Keep on tail of the target; surely that missile will explode, right?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5980 on: May 01, 2016, 11:22:04 pm »

Alan, Master of Linguistics

The solution is clear: if Rickman can't speak English, I have to learn to speak Rickmanese! Lessons commence immediately with much enthusiasm on my part.
Sig! Onol

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: May 02, 2016, 12:07:49 am »

<Svajoklis, After the end>

There is a window right here, and I am squezed in comfortably between two walls. Smash the window, get inside, find my way to the armory. Use the gun if glass is too tough to break with the book.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5982 on: May 02, 2016, 04:24:27 am »

Campaign, Ike!

"Shyeah, right, like there's a world where that isn't some kind of trap."

Look around for hostile animate stone hands. Prepare to dodge.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5983 on: May 02, 2016, 05:14:32 am »

Walking Tank, After the End

Go near the wall and start following it in the direction my opponent went. Regularly fire telekinetic blasts at whatever might be behind the wall. Sooner or later I'll end up hitting him.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:47:18 pm by Hawk132 »
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5984 on: May 02, 2016, 09:02:31 am »

After the end
Spoiler: action (click to show/hide)
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 521