Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1126193 times)

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Explosive Extraction
« Reply #3135 on: January 14, 2015, 02:37:28 am »

((Woah, woah. DAF. Lenglon, chill you dudes. :O This is a time wherein we reflect on the feelings--as if our characters are still feeling that; though there is no note of further awareness post-blast. Herein I say we have faith in Ike until the very end. Hopefully he has empathy for us, despite me knowing his player is a nice dude.))
((Mhm, I agree. Let's just watch what happens for now.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: January 14, 2015, 02:41:25 am »

((Well, this was certainly a good update in that it got us all fired up.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: January 14, 2015, 05:59:02 am »

Survival

In all the chaos, go and grab that rocket launcher. Find a rocket too, so that I can actually fire it.
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: January 14, 2015, 06:47:42 am »

((Oh, wait! I completely forgot one important thing.

There is another entity in this realm as far as I'm aware, the one we were hunting. Maybe that's who saved Ike and potentially some other people? They've got all manner of largely unexplained godly powers. That could be a fun twist.

Of course, might just be River Unchained instead, considering Ike is who he put his trust in right before he died and that he may have some sort of death avoidance ability or River may have just been part of a greater whole that is Darkstar.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: January 14, 2015, 09:33:23 am »

Of course, might just be River Unchained instead, considering Ike is who he put his trust in right before he died and that he may have some sort of death avoidance ability or River may have just been part of a greater whole that is Darkstar.))
((Sleep to calm down + this bit of text right here makes me feel a lot better. It does make sense that if River had to revive the entire group he'd start with Ike. So at least I can hope that River has us all, and just hasn't revived us yet. especially since you woke up naked with a wire (necklace chain) around your neck))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: January 14, 2015, 11:13:36 am »

((We were hunting an entity? Shit, I completely forgot that if I ever even knew it.))
Sig! Onol

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: January 14, 2015, 11:16:38 am »

((We were hunting an entity? Shit, I completely forgot that if I ever even knew it.))
((I knew we were chasing some guy or girl, but I didn't think it was an entity.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3142 on: January 14, 2015, 12:33:55 pm »

Campaign

Campaign, Ike?

<Calling all stations, this is Lucky Ike Watkins, lucky as usual, fresh off some mental tiger wrestling, completely naked. Anybody out there, over?>

Check if there's any mental reply to me entirely mentally calling all stations via the interface. I still have that, right?

In any case, see if the wire's removable. Should be - Mr. Beetle doesn't seem like he has much manual dexterity.

If that works, commence sneaking toward nearest accessible exit. If Mr. Beetle (assuming that's not Darkstar or something, in case I'm supposing he'd hear my mental call) sees me and seems aggressive rather than entirely friendly like you'd normally expect, cheese it most verily with less concern for stealth.

Spoiler: Reminder (click to show/hide)
You don't have an interface or other magical device on you, but you try to telepathically broadcast your status report anyway, just in case you suddenly gained that ability. You try to think it as hard as you can, trying different ways of thinking it, mental commands, even doing various gestures. You don't know if you broadcasted anything or if anybody received it (after all there wasn't any sort of TMS delivery report last time you used it) but you sure as hell tried your best.

The effort has given you the time to calm down a bit. The adrenaline rush starts passing, the buzzing in your ears and the dizziness dying down a bit, your heart rate dropping. You try to listen for a response, but you can't hear anything. You can hear the sound of light wind coming from somewhere further away, probably the holes. For a moment, you think you get a signal, something like a whisper, but you can't be sure if it wasn't just the wind and your state playing tricks on you.

It appears that it has also given time to Mr. (or Mrs., since it doesn't have any genitals that you can see) Bug to notice that you're up and moving. It stands up and looks at you (at least you think it's looking at you, it has two triads of small orbs on its "face" that could be eyes). It doesn't do anything more after that though, it just stands there, looking at you, unmoving.

Staging Area

"Well, there also seems to be a bug in my speech processor, I think I'll need to disable higher level functions in my CPU while I refactor my codebase. In other words, I'll take the beta cider."
"Great, great! I'm all for disabling higher level functions through drunkness protocols, especially in situations like theses. Now let's see here..."
The man procures a wooden mug from under the counter and looks at the barrels behind him, before choosing one and approaching it.
"You're not going to disappear into thin air, right? Because that'd be kinda annoying." he says seriously as he starts pouring liquid into the mug.
"A waste of beta cider." he adds in a lighter tone.

OOC
I am deeply sorry for any distress I caused. I'm just trying to make a good story and a good game with you, I do not want to hurt anyone.

That there was nothing she could do. that her fate... that all of our fates, were sealed the moment I stopped River from sacrificing himself.

That it's all my fault.
It's not your fault. It's not somebody's fault. Or it's everybody's fault, depending on your philosophy. Personally I don't believe there even was any fault. Your characters did their choices and acted how they would had acted, there's nothing wrong with that.

That being said, the entire group had plenty of points where they could had done things differently. Everyone could had moved out of the Portal room immediately or chosen a different escape route. Alan could had chosen not to use a heavy attack (in fact I expected Zechariah to use some sort of crystal attack to trigger the first blast) or do some sort of dark ritual to change his luck. You could had asked River for more information. Nikolai could had approached the rock block holding the slab and enlarged it to make the height it falls less or he could had enlarged something to support that block or just let it fall and then use his ability to try and repair it. Or he could ask Alan to summon a mattress or something for it to fall on and hope he doesn't overshoot. Or maybe our more physically capable characters (Theri and Ike) could had gone there to do something about it. Someone could had convinced River to do something else. Ike could had kept his previous action and attacked Irene. Alan could had let River kill Irene or find a way to stop rolling 6s all the time. Zechariah could had done something other than putting the slab in the worse position possible. Irene and Zechariah could had tried to somehow lessen or direct the effect of the blast by shrouding the slabs that were about to explode in crystal and pyrokinesis or Zechariah could had tried to support the floor and roof. You could had removed some slabs from the wall to stop the domino effect. I even gave you the benefit of focusing solely on that problem instead of that AND a giant enemy by interpreting Nikolai's and Zecharia's actions more loosely (because that enemy was bound to do something to cause that slab to fall or worse and then everything would had been worse).

So it wasn't a predetermined outcome and it wasn't caused by a single choice, action or inaction. It was circumstance, choices and luck that led to it.

I am hoping that that... that didn't really happen. that Irine will wake up sometime in the next couple turns, battered and burned, but alive.

I am angry, because I don't think that's going to happen. That everything was for naught. that even with her specilized defenses against exactly this type of death, in her most defensive possible posture and form, weren't enough. That there was nothing she could do. that her fate... that all of our fates, were sealed the moment I stopped River from sacrificing himself.

That it's all my fault.

I want to pm Paris, to beg and bargain for Irine's survival, or... or something... I don't even know really.

I know that anything I could say, could do, could ask for... I shouldn't do it. The GM is the GM, I shouldn't go about trying to fight against or undermine his authority. There is nothing productive I can say or do right now, all I can do is lash out... and I want to avoid doing that.

so...

yeah.

I can't afford to react right now.
To be honest, I'm about the same way. I mean, that was my character of all characters, the one that was my primary person. But I'm sure that the GM isn't going to be so harsh. I mean, come on, we weren't even out of the gate yet before we all "died." There has to be something else going on here.

Just trust that it'll turn out well, because I also have to put that trust into the game. Let's wait and see for now.
It's not about being harsh. I like your characters, I don't want to kill them. It's about actions and consequences.

If there is no danger, if everything ends up well no matter what you do, then there is little point in having choice in the first place. You wouldn't be controlling characters, you'd be controlling actors and instead of interacting with the world you'd be improvising lines and actions for the plot.

I may bend things to your favour sometimes, plus the game mechanics do favour PCs over NPCs in certain circumstances, but I have to do things a certain way, I want to do things a certain way. So if the dice say you die, you die. End of the line.

On the other hand, that also means there is little limit to what you can do. So if your first action after arriving was murdering River and then using the teleporter to go live free in this world, not caring one bit about your quest, then if you rolled well, you could do it and there would be nothing I could do about that.

I mean, that was my character of all characters, the one that was my primary person.

((I find this statement interesting, as this character of all my characters made here at Bay12, is played closest to the person behind the keyboard.

Anyway, we'll just have to see how this thread plays out.  I rather saw that explosion as a nuclear-level blast that no one would survive, but there's always that one in a million chance.))
Oh, nice link. Thanks.

((In any case, really disappointed that anyone survived.))
Hmm.... Using reverse psychology or seeking the death of all things like one of those comic book villains? I guess we'll find out.

((Well, this was certainly a good update in that it got us all fired up.))
Pun intended or just happy coincidence?

((I knew we were chasing some guy or girl, but I didn't think it was an entity.))
Reminder about your target

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: January 14, 2015, 12:54:50 pm »

"Not planning on it. I like existing in a solid form, how am I supposed to do mad science if I am naught but gas? Though I suppose it could be a good chance to expand my area of expertise... Anyway, why do you ask, have you had anyone sublimate mid-conversation recently?"
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: January 14, 2015, 01:16:08 pm »

((Legit unintended pun.))
Sig! Onol

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: January 14, 2015, 01:18:27 pm »

((Who said it was unintentional?))
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Sig

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: January 14, 2015, 01:18:47 pm »

Survival

Same thing as before - anything dangerous gets slapped away by the bling-arm.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: January 14, 2015, 01:21:27 pm »

((I dunno man, a heated debate could be made about that.))
Sig! Onol

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: January 14, 2015, 01:25:11 pm »

((I dunno man, a heated debate could be made about that.))
((Don't let your preconceptions cloud your judgement))
Sig

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: January 14, 2015, 01:27:24 pm »

It's not about being harsh. I like your characters, I don't want to kill them. It's about actions and consequences.

If there is no danger, if everything ends up well no matter what you do, then there is little point in having choice in the first place. You wouldn't be controlling characters, you'd be controlling actors and instead of interacting with the world you'd be improvising lines and actions for the plot.

I may bend things to your favour sometimes, plus the game mechanics do favour PCs over NPCs in certain circumstances, but I have to do things a certain way, I want to do things a certain way. So if the dice say you die, you die. End of the line.

On the other hand, that also means there is little limit to what you can do. So if your first action after arriving was murdering River and then using the teleporter to go live free in this world, not caring one bit about your quest, then if you rolled well, you could do it and there would be nothing I could do about that.
Right, and I'm not trying to say that we should have survived through all of the stupid decisions. A consequence is a consequence, of course. Maybe it was just my terrible reading comprehension, but I felt like I was interpreting things wrong throughout the whole thing. Like the size of the room or the hallway, for example, and the actual danger of the rock slabs. I didn't think we had any serious danger other than the parasites and the portal, so that's what I focused on. Perhaps that is a product of my misunderstandings, but I still feel like it could have turned out a lot better if we had a map or something of that sort.
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 521