Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1126718 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: The Core of the Problem
« Reply #2175 on: July 17, 2014, 10:42:04 am »

John frowned.  "Uh... yeah, I'll just wait for your review."

Standby!  If it's going to be a while, play with the table again.  Can it be set to simulate how my powers work with a certain combination of traits selected?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: July 18, 2014, 02:44:43 am »

((oops, thought I'd posted an action earlier. sry for making you wait.))

Irine
Someone is messing with my flames?
have my door-blocking flames gather near their far edge and creep up the walls and line the ceiling, forming a hollow ring. Then have the ring surge closed from all directions, gather in the center, and then have 2/3's of them move outwards at high speed in a hollow, impoding sphere. after the flames have passed through the center of the formation and gone out the other side have them keep going, separated into many small flames, until they reach a barrier. once they reach a barrier, return them to their starting position and return the flames to the flat bed of fire lining the floor that I had earlier.
I need to wait for Zoe to be fully briefed. I need to pay attention to the rate Amelia's condition is progressing. I need to get this timed just right...

Zoe
-No influence-
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2177 on: July 18, 2014, 06:28:38 am »

Swap to a finch to fit through, and when I'm all through, return to falcon form.
You change form to that of a finch, dumping biomass in a trail of greenish-black liquid behind you to lessen your size.
You find a small gap where you can move through the gaps between in the two barriers without having to slow down or seriously alter your course and go through it without slowing down at alll.

However, changing form into a falcon is not something you can do right now. You've lost too much biomass while becoming smaller and you didn't have anywhere to put it. You're going to have to wait for it to replenish.

"Travelled the world with no tomorrow~" your entity sings and continues croaking to the rhythm. He shoots another barrage of lightning bolts at the walls of the tunnel as he passes them by. This time, the lightning bolts cause the walls to detonate into a fine gray-brown powder, creating a cloud in front of you that obscures whatever may lie ahead.

=============================>===================o

John frowned.  "Uh... yeah, I'll just wait for your review."

Standby!  If it's going to be a while, play with the table again.  Can it be set to simulate how my powers work with a certain combination of traits selected?
Doesn't look like it. Although you could probably ask Zero to do it. Or maybe just "will" the Staging Area into giving you what you want. You don't know if it will work, but you could certainly try.

"Analysis follows:

John, as stated earlier, your performance was well beyond the minimum acceptable range for a human of your capacity. Your personal effort to complete your objectives was very adequate despite the circumstances.

Furthermore, your perseverance led to the deceleration of yourself as victor of that mission. The extra credit received from that event will most likely benefit you greatly and already has, to a degree. The fact that you were aggressive and competitive enough in your attempt to complete the secondary mission objective to disregard the life of a teammate is commendable.

Your idea to acquire better situational awareness was correct, however the use of  powerful active sensors attached to yourself with no means of shutting them down meant that your enemy was easily able to detect you, preventing any stealthy actions on your part. Take that into consideration and try to work around it next time you are in a similar situation.

It took you time, but you also realized the importance of mobility in such a large scale battlefield. The ability to evade and reach new positions is invaluable. Keep that in mind during future missions with similar circumstances or whenever there's a chance your enemy will be quicker or more powerful than you.

Your performance in combat was acceptable, although both your accuracy and ability to dodge were inadequate. It might be more desirable to not directly involve yourself in combat, instead using more capable or expendable assets like teammates. Disregarding those inadequacies, your choice of target was mostly good and you chose when to attack and when to retreat adequately.

Pushing yourself to the limits in pursuit of victory is sometimes desirable, however luck may not always be on your side. If you think that taking a second to regroup, rearm and recuperate would increase your chances of success, you might want to do that, even if it would allow your opponent to do the same. Assuming there is no time limit, of course.

Overall, better cooperation with your teammates would ensure an easier victory. After all, observing your capacity for teamwork was one of the reasons this challenge occurred and that teamwork was not realized to its fullest potential. Your allies could had easily filled some of the gaps in your skillset and made your survival easier. Furthermore, sharing information you received when in close proximity to the target could had prevented the death of two of your teammates and increased your chances of success.

If they are not willing to work with you, you might want to consider taking the lead yourself and having them work for you or giving the mantle of leadership to someone you find more capable than you, depending on the circumstances. Even following your allies and supporting them in a plan worse than yours could sometimes go better than each of you trying their individual ideas and hoping they somehow result in victory.

After all, there is strength in numbers and you are unfortunately not yet strong enough to stand alone in those type of engagements without plenty of time to prepare.

Overall, I believe that your opponent, as well as the battle itself, should be able to teach you more, if you consider them on your own. Such knowledge could be useful in the coming missions.

That is all.
Any questions regarding this analysis or the mission?"

Only a three? This is a hallucination worthy of Oxford-class acid! How dare you!

Summon big wooden spoon and slap German chef silly.
((He was not actually German, it's just an expression:
the term has come to mean anyone who seems to grade harshly and give low scores, such as Kishi Asako on Iron Chef.
But hey, it's your hallucination-turned-reality.))

"Zilly vatman. Your landing reqvires verk-ugh!"

His counter-argument is cut short by a wooden ladel to the head

Your dodging needs work you only get three!

The rest of the chefs pick up various cooking implements and begin approaching slowly you from all sides.
"How dare you oppose the judges‽"
"How dare you judge the judges‽"
"The judges are absolute!"
"The judges are always right!"
"Only one of us can judge a judge!"
"One of us!"
"One of us!"

That's her batons I feel on my ankle and shoulder, right? That can't be good. Pull on the wires as hard as I can with both hands and kick backwards.
You both pull the wires at the same time, which results to even more pain to you. You feel your leg being pulled and your shoulder being pulled, but the worst thing is your arm, whose skin is now being pulled in two different directions. You can't hold on anymore. The pain overcomes you and you loose your footing, spinning around and falling with your back against the ground.

You can see her standing above you, ready to jump on you. She doesn't look as happy or smug as when you started the combat, she's out of breath, slightly angry and clearly in pain. Much like you, in a way.

<Oh hey, would you look at that!>

Question: does my host get the use of my powers only when I've assumed direct control?

If yes, assume direct control, then draw my machine pistol (I presume I have a free hand - if not, free one up and dodge) with all the quickness I can muster and teach this fellow a point-blank lesson in manners.

If not, command time!

>You probably have quite a bit of training on how to deal with a situation like this - feel free to use it!

((You can focus on giving him a single aspect of you (requires a roll) or just take direct control (always succeeds). I'll assume you want the full control.))

You use one hand to push the man's knife wielding hands back, but he's too strong. You groan as the blade slowly descends towards you. The man keeps pushing until it slides inside a gap in your armour and starts cutting into your neck. But the blade goes no further, for your attacker is interrupted by a burst of gunfire blowing his arm apart.

With the pain loosening his grip, you bend down and pull on his now mangled arm, pushing the attacker off your back and on the ground. Before he can react, another burst of gunfire across his chest cuts him down.

You check your neck. You can't feel it through the armour or your gloved hand and you have no mirror to use to look at it. You just have the feeling of pain and the sense of your shirt becoming wet as blood leaks to it. This might be a serious injury.

You look at the other man, the one near the flames. His skin shimmers and distorts. And then the world explodes.

((See below for rest of action.))

Bryan
Her again.  Seems we keep butting heads.  Such a shame she seems like one of the more reasonable contestants.  Let's hope that science and nature still hold some weight with this fire.  That man will probably be fine.If Faron's action doesn't work try to push the air away from the fire.

Faron
Break the pipes to put out the fire.  If the fire goes out go down the hallway, otherwise get into cover.
((oops, thought I'd posted an action earlier. sry for making you wait.))

Irine
Someone is messing with my flames?
have my door-blocking flames gather near their far edge and creep up the walls and line the ceiling, forming a hollow ring. Then have the ring surge closed from all directions, gather in the center, and then have 2/3's of them move outwards at high speed in a hollow, impoding sphere. after the flames have passed through the center of the formation and gone out the other side have them keep going, separated into many small flames, until they reach a barrier. once they reach a barrier, return them to their starting position and return the flames to the flat bed of fire lining the floor that I had earlier.
I need to wait for Zoe to be fully briefed. I need to pay attention to the rate Amelia's condition is progressing. I need to get this timed just right...

Zoe
-No influence-
((No worries, I understand.
Well, that's one complicated-sounding action. Let's see if my sleep deprived brain can understand what you mean... I think you're saying you want the fire to move out of the door by creeping across the wall, creating a sphere in the process and then implode that sphere to hurt whoever might be there, while keeping the flames moving around for extra damage, then move them back to reform the barrier. But then you say ring... Well, I'll go with the sphere.))

As Bryan's host moves forward towards the fire, Irene begins her attack, having her flames quickly creep against the walls of the corridor to prepare for her attack. But before he can have them move more than a few inches, Bryan spots that movement. Panicking, he musters all his strength and focuses his mind on a single concept: "PUSH".

A distortion in the air expanding into a sphere marks the creation of an explosion of force, pushing everything away from it, located a couple of meters in front of Bryan and inside the corridor leading to the room. Everything happens in a fraction of a second, Bryan barely has time to try and protect himself as he is hurled backwards.

Irene doesn't have enough time to do anything, her pyrokinetic influence crushed like it was nothing. She doesn't even get the chance to warn her host. The door bows inwards as it is hit by the telekinetic blast. The telekinetic wave itself is unimpeded and continues through the door, bringing with it what few of her fire remains through its now widened seams. However, before the blast can reach Zoe or Awena, it begins dissipating. Still, it's enough to push them backwards and throw them to the floor. Zoe immediately pushes herself up with one hand, pointing her pistol at the door with the other, while Awena simply watches the door in surprise.

Bryan finds himself curled into a ball near a metal box, his everything hurting. There's a beeping sound. He looks down. His interface is beeping, its screen lighting red (and occasionally orange) with every beep. Huh. Looks like he must have unconsciously taken control.
Still, he doesn't appear to be seriously injured, considering what just happened. Which is to say, he's probably only broken a couple of bones.

Ike is incredibly nonchalant during all this. He is pushed upwards and backwards, almost reaching the wall he originally started near. But the blast fails to do anything to him directly. And his landing could be comparable to that of a cat or an artistic gymnastics athlete, for he manages to land on his feet without even stumbling. Still, from this new position, he can see more alarming things. Things like more guards taking action against them, three in the catwalk on the opposite side from the room aiming at him and three more coming through the door also located on the other side of the room. Their charge is a rather poor strategic move, considering that part of the room, unlike the one Ike's in, completely lacks cover. Or it would be if they didn't have the numerical advantage.

The site of the explosion itself, currently half-obscured by a very small cloud of dust, is not in a very good state. The concrete walls themselves were completely undamaged, but anything inside the small corridor (pipes, light fixtures, grates) has been ripped apart or tossed around. The broken pipes are dripping stagnant murky water, the water supply to this building cut years ago. The large metal door has not been destroyed, but it has bent inward, the other room visible through the small gaps formed due to this.

((Welp, looks like rolls rendered whether or not I understood that action correctly irrelevant.))

EDIT: Oh, and there's 3,8 TUs left, which translates to about 3 minutes and 48 seconds left. TUs are the units I use to measure actions/the time a turn takes, since they're a lot easier to do math with (multiply, subtract, divide, etc.). 0,1 TUs is 6 seconds.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:45:16 am by Parisbre56 »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: July 18, 2014, 06:49:03 am »

"Oh hey, guess what!"

You guessed it, flashbang and tear gas combo retaliation against the guards! Well, more of a preemptive retaliation, followed by lots of machine pistol fire into their bodies and faces. Make sure I have some grenades left, relatedly.

And if I don't have any of those, or only one of each, just chuck my last brick of C4 at the metal door in the hallway, step out of the hallway and in a safe spot, then detonate. In fact, if I have time, do that anyway! We're running on timers both blood-related and otherwise!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 07:02:55 am by Harry Baldman »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: July 18, 2014, 06:55:29 am »

Irine
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
action PMd

Zoe
-no influence-
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: July 18, 2014, 01:43:17 pm »

Uh. I'm a judge too!

Steal one of their hats.

See? Judge hat!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: July 18, 2014, 02:18:46 pm »

Come on Nikolai, you've got this.

Retrieve my swiss army sword. Open the saw.
Try to fit the wires between the teeth of my tsared saw. Then untsar it, shrinking the saw and snapping the wires. If that doesn't work, wrap the wires around the blade and tsar it again, breaking the wires. Try to aim it at Ms Sharkteeth while I'm tsaring it.
Fend off her with my feet, aiming to kick her wound.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: July 18, 2014, 02:46:32 pm »

Quickly morph into pillbug and curl up as I fling downwards.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: July 18, 2014, 04:26:36 pm »

>Get up. Look for the nearest building and see if you can enter it. If not, try another building. Be quiet and cautious about what you're doing, you do not want to be seen. The Shadow is your friend here. If you feel as if you're going to be spotted, use the Shadow to hide yourself, especially when you're in an alleyway.

Come on, you can do this. There's not much more left. Just get to a phone, alert your friends, and get out of there. Then, we can continue our objective.

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: July 18, 2014, 05:56:25 pm »

((Eh heh heh, I was wondering if something like that would happen.))
Bryan
Ow ow ow.  Enough.  Get a hold of yourself, this isn't over yet.  Bryan takes in his surroundings.  Ngh, din't mean to do that quite yet.  Hope I can still muster myself enough.  Oof ... I think my time here is almost up.  Hope the other man is okay, no time to check.
For better or for worse, this all ends...soon.  PM sent.
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2185 on: July 19, 2014, 10:02:39 pm »

"Oh hey, guess what!"

You guessed it, flashbang and tear gas combo retaliation against the guards! Well, more of a preemptive retaliation, followed by lots of machine pistol fire into their bodies and faces. Make sure I have some grenades left, relatedly.

And if I don't have any of those, or only one of each, just chuck my last brick of C4 at the metal door in the hallway, step out of the hallway and in a safe spot, then detonate. In fact, if I have time, do that anyway! We're running on timers both blood-related and otherwise!

You reach for another flashbang, fumbling with the strap that holds it on your armour, trying to release it from its grip, at the same time walking back towards the door.

At the same time the charging guards begin firing at you. However they seem to be having a bit of trouble using their assault rifles. That is to say, they totally suck at it. Not one bullet even comes close to you and one of them even manages to somehow eject his magazine while firing.

A moment later, the guards from the catwalk also start firing. They also appear to be afflicted by the same curse as their pals on the floor below, the aim of all but one of the three being most terrible. But the one in the middle, that one aims well. Three rounds find you in the torso. You can feel their impact through your armour, as they shatter part of the trauma plates over your waist.

Undeterred, you cook the flashbang for a second and then throw in the midst of the advancing guards with all your strength, looking away at the same time. After the bang confirms you can look again, you turn to face the scene. It appears that your aim was flawless, for all three men are laying on the ground, two of them completely disoriented, while the third seems to have had part of his face burnt.

That done, you empty the magazine of your machine pistol firing at the guards on the catwalk. You think you hit one of them, maybe two, before they hit the ground for cover.

You're about to reach for a gas grenade when you spot something disturbing. It looks like fire over the metal boxes you were taking cover behind moments before, appearing out of thin air and spreading into a large column that reaches for the ceiling. And it keeps getting larger.

Irine
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
action PMd

Zoe
-no influence-
You channel all your anger into the application of your power. All the feelings of pent up frustration. The way every terrible thing that has happened to you so far has made you feel, the destruction of your world, the loss of your power, the loss of your freedom, the loss of your host. And the knowledge that there are more to come. All these you condense into a white hot knife of focused power that cuts through space to bring forth a torrent of fire that is to be shaped into a monument to the destruction of all who oppose you. Only the vision of your creation exists in your mind's eye, you can see nothing else. Nothing will stop you know.

Tiruin
Your host gets up as Boris approaches you, Zoe doing the same, still pointing her gun at the door.
Boris says something in Russian as he stands in front of the door and raises his hands towards it. He then speaks to Awena and Zoe without taking his eyes off of it.
"Stand back. It's-"
He is interrupted by a gunshot.
He quickly turns his head to the source of the gunshot and Awena does the same. For the gunshot came from inside the room.
Zoe is standing with her eyes closed, growling, her body so tense that it's trembling slightly. Her hands are clenched so hard they have turned white from the pressure, her finger still pulling on the trigger of the pistol she is pointing towards the door. Theri can see distortions extending from the interface on Zoe's arm, spreading like ripples on the surface of a lake across her entire body.

Boris considers this for a split second but seems to find whatever he was originally doing more important, returning his eyes on the door.

"Zoe?" The worry is clear on Awena's voice. "Are you allright?"

((Eh heh heh, I was wondering if something like that would happen.))
Bryan
Ow ow ow.  Enough.  Get a hold of yourself, this isn't over yet.  Bryan takes in his surroundings.  Ngh, din't mean to do that quite yet.  Hope I can still muster myself enough.  Oof ... I think my time here is almost up.  Hope the other man is okay, no time to check.
For better or for worse, this all ends...soon.  PM sent.
You slowly prop yourself up, trying to ignore the pain coming from across your body. You limp forward, trying to remain focused on reality despite the pain from the impact and the splitting headache using so much power in such short amount of time has caused you.

>Get up. Look for the nearest building and see if you can enter it. If not, try another building. Be quiet and cautious about what you're doing, you do not want to be seen. The Shadow is your friend here. If you feel as if you're going to be spotted, use the Shadow to hide yourself, especially when you're in an alleyway.

Come on, you can do this. There's not much more left. Just get to a phone, alert your friends, and get out of there. Then, we can continue our objective.
Your host decides that he should look for a back door or similar. He gets up and stumbles through the alley, checking any doors he comes across. After a bit of searching, he finds one that is open about half an inch, some kind of fire escape doors that is unable to close properly.

Staging Area

Uh. I'm a judge too!

Steal one of their hats.

See? Judge hat!
Your hands are a blur, snatching a chef's judge's hat before they can tell what happened.

There are gasps and confused looks among the judges as they begin to talk among each other.
"Wow, a judge's hat!"
"How can this be?"
"He really is a judge‽"
"SILENCE!"
The other judges immediately stop speaking and part to reveal the one who yelled, a enormous and slightly fat chef about two heads higher than you.

"If you really are a judge..." he says as he walks towards you "Then where is the rest of your outfit?" he adds and points at you accusatorily.

Come on Nikolai, you've got this.

Retrieve my swiss army sword. Open the saw.
Try to fit the wires between the teeth of my tsared saw. Then untsar it, shrinking the saw and snapping the wires. If that doesn't work, wrap the wires around the blade and tsar it again, breaking the wires. Try to aim it at Ms Sharkteeth while I'm tsaring it.
Fend off her with my feet, aiming to kick her wound.

You try to kick your opponent away as she tries to jump on you, however despite your kick connecting, she still manages to land on you. She's standing with her knees resting on your pelvis, both of her batons on one hand.

Before you can do anything, she twists your arm in rather uncomfortable angle with her free hand and pushes it against your chest, at the same time pulling her batons behind your head. As she leans forward, putting all the weight of her upper body in her blow, a needle-like thing extends from one of the things hooked on your arm, pointing straight to your chest. You use your free arm to try and push your arm back, to prevent yourself from being stabbed. Your legs flail wildly as you try to find some leverage, to get her off of you. But you can't. The best you can do is make sure it doesn't hit anything vital.

She completes her attack by bringing her batons back from your head and to your chest, the wire now behind your back and the two ends of the weapon attached to each other. A button push later, the wire begins retracting, binding your arm against your chest.

"Come on." she says between breaths. "Let's take that mask off. Give you a kiss." she adds and grins, showing her shark-like teeth as her hands move towards your head.

Quickly morph into pillbug and curl up as I fling downwards.
The resilient form of a bug proves capable of going through the dust without much problem. Although the dust gives you some trouble breathing (as it covers the pores on your exoskeleton) that is quickly cleared up without much trouble.
The obstacle hiding behind the dust cloud is a bit harder on you, but even though it causes much damage, it doesn't kill you. You quickly roll off it, at the same time repairing the damage it has caused you.
"People I meet, they twist and cower~"
You uncurl a bit to take a peek. Looks like there's a sharp turn in the tunnel up ahead. It's no longer a fall after that.

==============================>==================o

OOC
Looks like everyone decided to overshoot and/or critfail as much as mathematically possible. Fun!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:21:04 pm by Parisbre56 »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: July 19, 2014, 10:18:58 pm »

Irine
Continue the process from the PM

Zoe
Reassert yourself! Irine doesn't want to control you, don't let her do it by accident!

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: July 19, 2014, 11:01:52 pm »

"The mask stays on."

Tsar mask. Aim to strike her in the head with the enlargening filter part. Also repair the cracked lens for no reason.
Stab her repeatedly with an untsared knife if I can.

((There is no way this action can go wrong. None at all.))
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: July 19, 2014, 11:40:38 pm »

((I hope you auto'd me because my net went x_x

...Reading up.))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 521