Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1125847 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Burn it down
« Reply #1635 on: March 08, 2014, 08:18:23 pm »

"Oh fuck this!"
Start it up then fly out of the situation before the sphere gets here.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: March 08, 2014, 08:36:54 pm »

Summon a target analyzer that will scan targets at range and attempt to deduce weaknesses.
Any idea how that would work? I can see it scanning with cameras to detect places that don't look heavily armored. or that look sensitive but I can't think of anything better right now.

I could have sworn I once saw something, similar to a thermal image, that visually determined stress on a structure.  A bit of Googling turns this up as the closest thing I can find.  It's pretty big and I was picturing more handheld.  If that's out of scope, just redact it to a nice sensor apparatus, preferably helmet-mounted.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1637 on: March 09, 2014, 11:30:19 pm »

John set the big shell aside.  Save that one.

The bot is... interesting.  No weapons... must be a scout.

<<Guys, I think these are just scouts.  There's no weapons on this- just a bunch of tools, cameras, and a long range antenna- looks like it might have been calling home to Momma Bot.  Might want to smash the rest of them and then get ready.>>

Summon a target analyzer that will scan targets at range and attempt to deduce weaknesses.
You get a helmet with a complex combination of sensors, from visual to radiation to sonar. The received data are used to make a composite image that is projected on the inside of the helmet. While it doesn't have a way to highlight weak points, you should be able to use the composite to detect them.
The downside is that you need to get close to your target to use the system to its full potential, since some sensors, like the sonar, only work well in short range.

Your Multi-Vision Helmet shows you a point of light that is... different than the rest in the sky. It's big. It's moving. And it looks like it's headed for landing point B. The Spaceport.
Find and tele-grab some sharp-looking metal things. Keep an eye out for more bots; skewer them.
You pick up an I-beam and launch it at the 8-legged bot messing with the transformer at the opposite rooftop. The bot sees your attack coming and jumps out of the way. (Maybe it has learned from its brother's demise?) The transformer is impaled by the I-beam in a shower of sparks and the roof of that building is plunged into darkness. You cannot see the bot there anymore, at least not from this distance.

Spoiler: GM only (click to show/hide)
The sphere is hovering a bit too high right now, so you decide to leg it. Rockets are faster than legs, however, and the sphere soon catches up. It circles you a couple of times, emitting a few flashes of light accompanied by pulses of ultrasonic noise while doing so.
As it circles you, it comes close enough for you to go with your original plan of attacking it. You run towards it but it fires its thrusters and manages to move out of the way.
One of its lenses points at you and starts glowing. You take this as a bad sign and move out of the way. This proves to be a wise move, since the ground you were standing on not a second ago now sports a circular depression of glowing hot metal.
"Oh fuck this!"
Start it up then fly out of the situation before the sphere gets here.
You pilot the spaceplane like a pro and move away from the Spaceport, leaving your teammate behind. Any location in particular where you'd like to go? Perhaps join John or Nikolai and have one of them pimp your ride?

Nice

Look for anything usable as arrows. Maybe fletch some pencils and pens with tape? Use scissor blades and as arrowtips? It doesn't have to be good, my power will take care of that. Try to make around 15 or so. Also try to find a replacement for my bent club.

And Occasionally glance at the screens for information about the B.E.T.A. like where it will land.

You find some pens and scissors and try to make them into arrows with tape.
Well, a 5-year-old could had made a better job, but you do manage to make ten arrows. Ten arrows that fly straight more due to inertia than being aerodynamic and that cause more damage due to bludgeoning than cutting. But hey, they're arrows. Sort of.

Next up is finding a better club. The best you can find is a long metal ruler. It's a bit brittle and small. Probably not the best choice.

After you're done with your work, you check the screens around here. Huh. They do seem a lot more... empty right now. Like some things are missing. And there's one showing the building this tower rests on with red lights blinking near the ground level.
<That does not look good. Perhaps you should ask for some assistance? That little girl is teleporting around, right? Maybe she can deal with it.>

Meanwhile...

Whoops.

Uh. Plant thoughts of angst and killing in his head along with the ice cream.
mmmmmyyyyyaaaaaaaahhhhhh

Nope.
You're desynchronized. Gotta wait for your synchronization points to replenish. Well, at least you're continuing to prove your entity right for choosing you. And you succeeded in those influence rolls, that's gotta count for something, right? Maybe you'll even reconnect in time for you to witness your host eat ice cream!

Now I have to figure out how I can get your host back in the plot...

"Aw, dammit! I wanted to get this done quickly."

Relinquish direct control.

>Follow those people. Don't fire into the crowd. Don't let them get away.
<Oh, come on, releasing control so soon? You could totally kick that guy's ass. I didn't even get to say "Face your annihilation!" or "You prolong the inevitable.". Eh, whatever, we can regain control when we're close enough to kill that guy, right? Maybe even do the gangnam style?>

You start running towards the two men. The crowd is thin and is quick to move away from the man with the gun, so you make good progress. You've almost caught up with your targets. You loose sight of them as they exit the building, but you're certain they're close.
You scan the crowd once you exit the building and spot them moving towards a car, a car very close to and very similar to yours. You're still in close proximity, no more than a dozen meters away from them. Any second now you'll have a clear shot.
Keep going, keep going, keep going. Don't stop, do not stop at all.

>Keep going. Try to get yourself low in the crowd to confuse the shooter, and then make a run for your car. Get the heck out of there once you make it to the car.
You try to run away but the crowd is in the way and is slowing you down. And that idiot won't keep his head down. He keeps asking what's going on and you keep telling him to move or you're both dead.

You take a quick glance behind you. The other is very close. Less than 40 feet. This is not going to end well...

Scion groans in annoyance. <Perhaps you should try actually doing something to help him?>

((I must admit, my knowledge about how cars act when on fire is nonexistent.))
Bryan
No good.  Better get moving.  I hope my host doesn't mind the damage to his car.

Faron
Is there somewhere good to hide? If not, just start running.  Take Ed with me if i can, and keep him quiet.  Knock him out if need be.
((My knowledge comes mostly from Mythbusters and watching cars burn. The gist of it is explosions need a certain fuel-air ratio to happen and that doesn't exist naturally in cars. Of course, car fires are still very dangerous, especially if you're leaking fuel.

Also, guy is already knocked out. I thought I had mentioned that.))

Your host tries to start the car again but fails. He picks up Ed and starts running. Mostly ruined houses around here. Could hide in any of them. Still, better to try and hide somewhere further away.

<Hm. Looks like their death will be necessary after all. I was hoping to avoid it. Worse comes to worst you can simply leave him behind with a parting gift. Should keep them busy for a while.>

You hear a car approaching from behind. You thought you had disabled their car. This will be problematic.
{Irine}
-Do nothing-

{Zoe}
-do whatever-
"What are you doing here?"
"I'm here to help, I-"
"Wanna help?" Says Zoe as she opens the door of the car and gets in. "Then drive. That bastard took Ed."
"So, wait, you're just gonna follow him?" Asks Morgan who has just sprinted to the car. "He has guns and-"
"I don't have time for your whining! Either get in or don't. I don't care either way."
"Fuck. Alright." She says as she gets in the backseat. "I still think you're crazy."
The girl behind the wheel starts driving.
"I'm Awena. From before? You came to me earlier looking for-"
"I remember. Get to the point." Zoe cuts her off in annoyance.
"The vision- I saw you were in danger, I-"
"No shit, you think? You sure are on a roll tonight!" comments Morgan sarcastically.
"I'm sorry about before. I-I've come to help. I saw that the three of you were-"
"Oh, man! He's there!"
Indeed. The man carrying Ed is up front, still running with that incredible speed of his.

Peregrine
Theri: Try to calm down and introduce yourself more formally to Zoe. Say that I want to help her. Yes I'm actually a spirit and not your conscience (though I don't have any malice for you, or intended, or whatever the word is...)

Hug her! :D

Action: ^ All of the above is IC me talking.
What? You- she responds surprised. This... this is strange. You're very... very different. But thank you for the advice. I guess.
The crystal of your Interface (the bracelet) beeps and blinks red several times before stopping.
Oh, also nudge my host and suggest her to explain why she came here.
And that she's sorry for earlier and that to ask what she needs.

Also, ask River what that bracelet is.
"It is a way to show to other travelers that we are not of this world, and a way to communicate with them. It is only visible to us and other travellers and not to the other people that inhabit this world.
It also marks your link to this woman. See that blinking? It shows how much her mind understands we are not entirely natural, not of this world. It's not alarming right now, but if it continues for too long, then she might subconsciously force us out of her body and mind.
Finally, it has some magic of its own that allows it to sometimes inform you of important things."

((I think the turn is pretty self explanatory, but feel free to ask me if you want to know something more about what your host sees or thinks or feels.))
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:40:16 pm by Parisbre56 »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: March 09, 2014, 11:38:41 pm »

Sit around and wait.

Hey Rhymerer, what're you doing?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: March 10, 2014, 01:31:01 am »

"Hey, better not overstay my welcome so quickly. Besides, that beeping makes me nervous. Wasn't there some thing about staying in character for this whole mission?"

>Shoot once a clear shot is possible. Try to get that dude for good this time. Aim for the legs and/or torso, maybe. If only failure is attained, try shooting their car. Try to hit something important for it, like tires, the engine, the fuel line, that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 01:35:02 am by Harry Baldman »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: March 10, 2014, 02:14:05 am »

{Irine}
Fleeing Prey-
No, ambush predator. He doesn't want to fight our group, but he is by no means defenseless. This is far from over.

{Zoe}
Does whatever Zoe's do.

((In 2 weeks I'm going to be unable to post for a very long time. Just giving you some warning.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: March 10, 2014, 02:31:01 am »

Load one arrow into my crossbow. Pocket the bent club. Leave the ruler.
Something at the bottom of my tower. Screens all went blank. Going to check it out.
Descend down the elevator. Crossbow in hand. If I see anything move, Tsar shoot it.
That voice in my head told me to ask for help. Anyone want to come help me?

The rest of you have voices in your heads, right?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: March 10, 2014, 07:31:04 am »

<<Yeah, that's your Entity.  We all have one, it seems, and there's more besides.  But more importantly, the Big One's coming, and it's headed for the spaceport.  I think it's too far out for a clear shot at it now, but when it gets closer, I'm going to put some holes in it.  If you heard a bang a bit ago, that was my toy.>>

Is it close enough for a clear shot?  If no, summon up a ClF3 shell.  If so, aim and fire!

I have the "good" shell loaded and the "big" shell next, right?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: March 10, 2014, 08:33:39 am »

"Sorry! Um..."

Teleport to the spaceport.
Locate some big, heavy things. Ideally pointy, too, but beggars can't be choosers. Grab such things; prepare to throw them at the BETA.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: March 10, 2014, 04:16:34 pm »

((You probably did mention it and I just missed it.  Either way it makes more sense than my character carrying a struggling man.))

Bryan
<I still have a couple of options before I have to resort to that.  How careful do you want me to be?>
Use telekinesis to a blow a tire on the car, preferably one that helps with steering.  Do not assume direct control.

Faron
Try to lose the car.
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1645 on: March 10, 2014, 10:23:58 pm »

Sit around and wait.

Hey Rhymerer, what're you doing?
I'm trapped in here with you, it seems,
waiting for you to break the seams
of that which holds you from your host's mind;
keeps you from claiming what is mine.
I'm watching you with interest, yesss.
You did do admirably on this quest.
But this I wonder, why you ask?
Do you find interest in me lass?

Oh, yeah, that patch of darkness looks like a bunny. That patch of darkness looks like a cat. That one looks like a three-headed-devil-dog. And that patch of darkness definitely looks like cake.

"Hey, better not overstay my welcome so quickly. Besides, that beeping makes me nervous. Wasn't there some thing about staying in character for this whole mission?"

>Shoot once a clear shot is possible. Try to get that dude for good this time. Aim for the legs and/or torso, maybe. If only failure is attained, try shooting their car. Try to hit something important for it, like tires, the engine, the fuel line, that sort of thing.
<Yeah, I have to admit it's kinda annoying. I'd make it use some sort of visual queue like a color myself. Besides, you'd probably figure out you're about to be desynchronized by how blurry things got.

Anyway, you still had some time left. But I understand that you might want to save some for later.>

((You're frozen in time because I'm waiting for DAF to post and I want to get as many posts as possible now that I have the time.

You're on the other side of the town anyway, so consider this as time taken off your future travel time.))

{Irine}
Fleeing Prey-
No, ambush predator. He doesn't want to fight our group, but he is by no means defenseless. This is far from over.

{Zoe}
Does whatever Zoe's do.

((In 2 weeks I'm going to be unable to post for a very long time. Just giving you some warning.))
((It's OK. I'll have lots of university work by that time too and for about a month. Any idea how long that very long time will be? Will it be less than a month? Should I wait for you? Or should I just put you in zombie mode if I happen to find enough time to do a turn during that time? We'll be nearing the mission's end at that time probably, if I can keep up the daily update schedule.))

The man dashes inside an alley before you can catch up to him. Awena stops the car near the alley.
"Drive around and cut him off." Zoe says as she exits the car. The driver seems about to protest, but after staring forward blankly for a split second she agrees with a nod.
"Alone? What are you goi-" Morgan's protests are cut short as the car drives away.
"I'll think of something." Zoe says to herself and picks up sturdy-looking plank while running after the man.

((You probably did mention it and I just missed it.  Either way it makes more sense than my character carrying a struggling man.))

Bryan
<I still have a couple of options before I have to resort to that.  How careful do you want me to be?>
Use telekinesis to a blow a tire on the car, preferably one that helps with steering.  Do not assume direct control.

Faron
Try to lose the car.
<It's not my concern. I'm only concerned with your victory. You need to win to gain strength. How you do that is not my concern. I simply wish to avoid unnecessary deaths, if possible.>

You try to use your ability but you can't concentrate enough to do more than give it a gentle prod.

Your host turns around to fire his gun but it seems to have jammed and won't fire.

Your host dashes inside an alleyway between two houses and keeps running.

Meanwhile...

Load one arrow into my crossbow. Pocket the bent club. Leave the ruler.
Something at the bottom of my tower. Screens all went blank. Going to check it out.
Descend down the elevator. Crossbow in hand. If I see anything move, Tsar shoot it.
That voice in my head told me to ask for help. Anyone want to come help me?

The rest of you have voices in your heads, right?

<I am the voice of your conscience! I have come to torment you about what you did that summer! You are going crazy and hearing my voice as a punishment! Booooooo!>

You descend the elevator. The elevator has a very helpful touch-screen diagram of the building instead of buttons, so you can easily click on the location you saw the red lights.
The elevator moves very quickly (you don't feel it but you can see it in the touch-screen) and after a while, you can also see it moving sideways, bringing you close to your destination.
This must truly be an advanced civilization. They are trying to eliminate all forms of exercise and physical activity. You load an "arrow" in the "crossbow" while you wait, keeping your hand over it to ensure it doesn't fall off the poor-quality construction.

The doors open revealing a dark, narrow hallway lit by the few surviving emergency lights, most other lights being either broken or flickering. There are scrapes in the walls and drag marks on the floor, as if some mythical beast dragged its claws across them.
You move, careful not to make any noise. You see flashes of light at the end of the hallway, with each flash the shadows of moving tendrils and claws painting themselves on the wall visible at the end of the hallway.

When you are near the end of the hallway, the flashes of light allow you to see a room with gutted electrical panels in the wall, their wires spewing forth in thick bundles. You can see them moving, tugged forwards and backwards.

You take a deep breath and move inside the room. There is a crunch coming from your feet. Broken glass.
You catch a glimpse of the bot in the light one of its tools provides. 8 thick tendrils, each with a claw and a combination of tools at their end, pointing towards you. A spherical body with two pairs of lenses, one smaller than the other, turning to look at you. Tracks, revolving to propel it towards you. Every available surface of its body covered with the wires coming from the walls. The afterimage remains burnt in your retina, still visible like a ghost in the darkness.

You close your eyes and concentrate at the sound of electrical motors and metal grinding against metal, raise your crossbow and fire, giving every ounce of your power you can manage at the arrow. There's the screeching of metal, flashes of light and then nothing but silence and darkness.

You let your breath out. Still alive.

<<Yeah, that's your Entity.  We all have one, it seems, and there's more besides.  But more importantly, the Big One's coming, and it's headed for the spaceport.  I think it's too far out for a clear shot at it now, but when it gets closer, I'm going to put some holes in it.  If you heard a bang a bit ago, that was my toy.>>

Is it close enough for a clear shot?  If no, summon up a ClF3 shell.  If so, aim and fire!

I have the "good" shell loaded and the "big" shell next, right?
Your assumptions about shell placement are correct.
You get a few scraps of corroded metal. Not good.
Your target is very far away right now (but it is getting closer very quickly) so you just focus on aiming the coilgun and making sure you've got a clear shot.
Your target is now a fireball above the spaceport, smoke trailing behind it as it falls the small distance that separates it from the ground, though through the multivision helmet it looks much more vibrant, a ball of blinding white light surrounded by a halo of shifting colors.

"Sorry! Um..."

Teleport to the spaceport.
Locate some big, heavy things. Ideally pointy, too, but beggars can't be choosers. Grab such things; prepare to throw them at the BETA.
You teleport to the spaceport. Because, clearly, being near the point where a giant robot will land is a great idea.
You see a tracked-octopus drone that is currently piloting a Spaceplane and a hovering-lens drone  both flying away. Intimidated by your superior strength, no doubt.
There's also a baby Rhino here. Must have escaped from one of those boxes.
Well, there are plenty of large things and pointy things around here. Some crates, some vehicles, some refueling pipes, some antennas...
You hear a very loud noise coming from above you, like continuous thunder that keeps getting louder. You look up. Well, that ball of fire is getting awfully large. And really, really close.

Peregrine
@River: So...I just blew our cover and sped up the subconscious process of shoving us out?
Well. Great. Time to protect Zoe then.

@Host: Drive! Remember where that firebird went? Time to follow the other spirit.
Or the man. His speed is strange-no natural muscular structure accounts for his sprinting (or he's an olympic athlete but I doubt that given his weight, or adrenaline).
Try to sense any indication with the spirits. I'm only in your mind, the others are out there!

Action: Let's do this thing.
<Don't worry. It's not that bad. She's used to strange things happening so it hasn't alienated her much. You'll feel it if it gets bad. And she will slowly become more accepting of you, the damage to your... connection will be repaired.
You're doing good. Really. There's no reason to burden yourself with guilt over what may be.>

The man dashes into an alleyway, too narrow to enter with the car. Your host stops her car soon after.
"Drive around and cut him off." Zoe says as she exits the car.
Your host seems about to protest but then she sees the firebird flying over the car, moving forward. She nods and starts driving, following the spirit.
<See? She trusts you.>
"Alone? What are you goi-" Morgan's protest are cut short as the car drives away. She sighs in frustration.

Your host follows the spirit, turning left at the next intersection to move parallel to the man, so that you can hopefully cut him off at the other end of the alley.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:42:40 pm by Parisbre56 »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: March 10, 2014, 10:27:54 pm »

No, I'm bored and about to perform surgery.

Rip off two of the devil dog's heads. Do the same with the bunny and the cat, then put those heads on the necks and sit down for cake with my more interesting pet.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: March 10, 2014, 10:28:56 pm »

<<Lining up my shot now... hope I can sink this thing.>>

Shoot that asshole out of the sky.  Aim for center mass.

if it's still too far let's go with another shot of ClF3 shell

Rip off two of the devil dog's heads. Do the same with the bunny and the cat, then put those heads on the necks and sit down for cake with my more interesting pet.

((Oh you.))

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: March 10, 2014, 10:33:06 pm »

Interface, Scion: <No, I'm not interfering with him yet. He'll make it.>

>Move low, move quick, and weave through the crowds if possible. Don't lost your energy. Energy is the best thing you have right now.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: March 11, 2014, 12:02:39 am »

{Lenglon}
((Put me in zombie mode at that time, I'll be gone for months. DAF would be a decent choice to have run me if the mission isn't done by then. My last day to post anything will be the 24th.))

{Irine}
This's going to be close...

{Zoe}
Zoe is Zoe.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 521