Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1125535 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Ghost
« Reply #1080 on: January 15, 2014, 03:27:25 pm »

"Jordan, You've lost track of the big picture. It isn't just about this one mission. Hold your fire."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: January 15, 2014, 03:27:55 pm »

Zechariah would've facepalmed if he didn't have to concentrate on communicate with the humanoid pair.

Interface, Ike and Jordan: <One, I already have another person I'm with. Two, I neither handsome enough to pass a beauty test nor bloody enough to count as a war hero, so I lose on both accounts. Three, this woman could have information that we could so direly use. But my motivation here is that I don't want people to die when I have a chance to do something. This parasite apparently thinks it's purging its world, and by purging I mean killing us. Just let me do my work, please. I WILL get her out of here alive.>

Through interface, to Zech: <You're about to pass out, foo'! And one thing you're definitely not going to manage is to get her out of here alive. Just being realistic here. And I don't think your alter-ego counts as a girlfriend. Also, you may want to take a step back from the parasite. What if it jumps off or something? Ah well. Resolve the issue how you see fit. I'll be cutting the power after a few minutes if you don't mind.>

Through interface, to Jordan: <Maybe you'd like to step away a little as well - even if you shoot the girl in the face, that's no guarantee the parasite won't go for your face to get a replacement body. And that would be bad.>

through interface, to Ike, Jordan, and Zech: <It appears to be a programmed terraformer, and it has some kind of connection to the entities. It seems to be possessing a host similarly to how we are possessing ours. The host sounds female, and it may have once been human, maybe not. Not enough information to tell. She hasn't told us her name, but the parasite has identified itself as 'the Core of the Colony Ship "The Ambassador of Change".' It has referred to itself as the Guardian of this world. I believe it has useful information and want to question it. Jordan wants to just shoot it. The parasite has identified itself as hostile, the host is pleading for help, and has specifically said that she does not want to die.>

To team: <Shit, lady, that sounds like the cube I touched back up top. That thing also wanted us dead for some reason. You're probably not going to be able to get useful information out of it simply because of that fact. Also, seriously, everyone, watch out if somebody shoots the lady in the face. Step back a bit. Who knows what'll happen if the parasite takes over you.>

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: January 15, 2014, 03:37:35 pm »

through interface, to Ike, Jordan, and Zech: <It already has given me some valuable information, just keep it talking. Haven't you learned that friends teach you what you want to know, but enemies teach you what you need to know? I'm learning about the entities from it, and that will carry over from one mission to the next. It doesn't know how much it's telling us.>

"Why do you oppose us?"
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:42:01 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: January 15, 2014, 03:44:34 pm »

Interface, All: <Alright, then you two stay back, and if it manages to bring me down, you kill me then. But don't kill the girl. Make whatever snide jokes you want, or say that I'm a fool, but I've already been damned to hell and frankly I've nothing to lose. All I can do now is help, and I will get her out of here.>

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: January 15, 2014, 03:47:26 pm »

((Ike isn't even in the room with it btw, the two in the room with you are Irine and Jordan))
interface to Ike, Jordan, and Zech: <You're overcommitting. If you lose control and she resumes attacking us, deadly force is going to be used to stop her. I agree with trying to save her, but if the attempts fail, better she dies than we do.>

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: January 15, 2014, 03:49:42 pm »

Interface, All: <I understand, thank you Irine.>

She was right. He could not overcommit to this, but it was a reflex defense considering that was how Zechariah's personality worked.
Meet Zechariah Dimikaelo, everyone. The Medium of Soul and Shadow.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:51:14 pm by DarkArtemisFowl »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: January 15, 2014, 03:51:13 pm »

The child thinks he's damned to hell? A little part of Jordan thought. I should tell him that when you're damned to hell, shit like this? You don't want to help. You just learn the truth.
<"Do whatever...">[color]

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: January 15, 2014, 03:53:23 pm »

through interface, to Ike, Jordan, and Zech: <It already has given me some valuable information, just keep it talking. Haven't you learned that friends teach you what you want to know, but enemies teach you what you need to know? I'm learning about the entities from it, and that will carry over from one mission to the next. It doesn't know how much it's telling us.>

To Irene: <Well, good luck. I haven't really had any friends or enemies, really, so I'm not an expert. Honestly, I just want out of here as quickly as possible. But hey, if you've got plans and whatnot, that's cool, too. At least your plans are more sensible than the other guy's.>

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: January 15, 2014, 05:24:17 pm »

"It does not matter if you do not have any abilities, a medic is just as useful as someone who can take on a whole army by himself."
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: January 15, 2014, 08:32:44 pm »

((Can I hear this?))

John marveled at what he could do with this.  It was time for something more complex.

Use the table to make a suitcase nuke.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1090 on: January 16, 2014, 12:34:37 am »

To teammates: <I'm hearing voices and no gunshots, guys! What're you doing down there? Not messing around, I hope.>

Wait for five more minutes at most, and stop waiting if there's a confirmed kill of the ghost. Just wait. The plot thickens!
You're wondering what the weather would be like if and when you get back up to the surface, when you hear gunshots and something between a scream, wind and an explosion. Wonder what your teammates got themselves into now...

"Yeah, sorry miss." Jordan cocks his gun. "Looks like I'm going to have to pull an old yeller on you. Nothing personal."
Don't shoot it in the head.
Zechariah tightened the grip on his staff.
Amethyst Keystone. Artemis, do you have anything to do with this?

Don't be silly, I am merely a construct of your subconscious. The real Artemis is probably destroying some other universe, but I don't believe he would be smart enough to consider interdimensional shenanigans.

As Zechariah shared his message with his mind, he heard Jordan talk.
Interface, Jordan: <You won't dare fire a shot until I say so. At all.>
Zechariah focuses again on the woman. "Just hold on. I want you to keep fighting that monster, and I'll help. You'll get out of this."

Dammit, I will help her get out of this, even if it costs my own life.
Use the shadows to help pull this killer monster off of the woman!
interference? on 'another level?'
'speaking to the ones watching this?'
too bad I have to use the interface for this

Through interface, to Zech, Ike, and Jordan: <We need to take this thing alive if we can. It seems to know about the entities, getting information from it could be more useful to us long-term than finishing the mission at all. in addition to the ethical reason for why saving the host would be a good idea. Jordan, give us some time. only shoot if it gets loose, ok?>
use my flame manipulation to move all fires at the pale-thing's location up and away from her.
normally I can't affect anything that's part of a creature, but since I'm mostly trying to cause interference anyway and it seems to exist on another plane, I might be able to affect it and the host should be safe from my abilities. it's not like there's any actual fire there after all.
Irene tries to use her powers to mess with the creature.
If moving fire is like pushing balloons, then trying to push the creature feels like trying to push water. The feeling starts a small distance away from the creature and is centered on it. Trying to move the creature itself produces no visible change but as she tries to move the creature she comes across something else. If the previous effect was similar to moving your hands through water, then this one is a rock. She focuses all her efforts on messing with it and...
There's a flash of light and for a blink of an eye you can see the outline of a tendril with a pyramid-like green tip hiding under one of Zechariah's shadows, coiled like a spring or a snake, ready to strike.

Before anyone can do anything, it's gone, passing through the shadow like a spear and headed straight for Zechariah.

Zechariah is hit square in the chest. He looks at the pale flesh coming from his chest more in confusion than in pain, same as the woman in front of him. "Disconnect."
Jordan shoots and Irene tries to do something with her powers but it's too late. "Purge."
Zechariah's chest begins to glow. A moment later, it's giving off white sparks and the glow is spreading through the tendril to the woman. Within a second, it has grown too bright to look at. They scream. They scream like they're burning. All three of them. There is a small shockwave and then nothing more can be heard.

You stumble backwards, both from the blast and the wave of foreign thoughts and emotions that hit you along with it. Hate. Confusion. Fear. In a few seconds, they're gone again.
When the afterimage of the light disappears and Irine and Jordan can see clearly again, they realize that all that's left of Zech and the woman are ashes and some molten metal on the ground accompanied by a scorch mark.

Zechariah returns to the darkness, where people exist only as thoughts with no bodies.
Desynchronized, attempting to reconnect.
Spoiler: Death Rolls (click to show/hide)

Everybody alive on mission
"Player 6 desynchronized."

Summon twin plungerswords and head into battle!
You summon two plungers and begin your epic battle with the trash crabs, requiem for a dream playing in the background.
The crab jumps at you but you easily send this one on a trip, hitting it with your plunger like a baseball. Two more crabs come forth to do battle.

"Um...Charlie?"
"Eh, good enough. I was hoping for something a bit more awe inspiring like Dark Invader, but I guess that will have to do for now."

"It does not matter if you do not have any abilities, a medic is just as useful as someone who can take on a whole army by himself."
"Maybe. I just have to hope no danger finds me, I guess.

((Can I hear this?))

John marveled at what he could do with this.  It was time for something more complex.

Use the table to make a suitcase nuke.
((The private telepathic stuff, no. Everything else, including public chat, yes. I don't understand why people are talking in private chat.))
Hmmm... That's strange. You're certain that summoning a nuke should be harder, even with those designs. And yet you do that easily. Perhaps there is something else going on here?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 05:34:02 pm by Parisbre56 »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: January 16, 2014, 12:46:12 am »

Coat my foot in that kinetic absorption gel that Billy Mays once advertised and kick one of the crabs off while whacking another one with a plunger!

((Indeed. I do enjoy the fact that while everyone else is doing important mission stuff or experimenting, Alan ends up fighting debris crabs with twin plunger swords on top of a mobile squid raft-throne :P))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: January 16, 2014, 12:52:32 am »

Zechariah felt like he was falling through the Medium again, shards of glass and memories from above, falling down with him to the primordial chaos.

Suddenly, he stopped falling, and the air below his feet solidified to form an invisible platform. His view righted itself, and in front of him was Artemis Dimikaelo, smiling.

"So, how did being the hero work out for you? Did you save her, hm? Did everything turn out happy and dandy, where everyone lived and no one dies?"

Artemis cackled, and the air shifted with electric energy and a tinge of amethyst. Zechariah balled his hands into fists, angry that Artemis shot down his efforts.

"I did what I could and I did what I wished. You already know that, that's how I got here in the first place. I told you that the entities are toying with me, pulling me around. Using me, just like Eido Aeterno did. I... I just hope that woman is somewhere safe now, that the entities spared her soul. At least, the others can win now. You know that I don't care about my own survival."

Artemis put a finger up. "You see, that's the kind of thinking that gets people killed. It got you killed, it got her killed, it'll get EVERYONE killed - which is why no one except you thinks like that. Simple evolutionary concepts, hm? Self preservation exists to guarantee the survival of your kind. Looks like you're getting pulled out of the gene loop, haha!

"Maybe if you had a brain, you could've saved yourself. But unfortunately, that did not happen, did it? Now all you have is to wallow in your defeats. Zedekiah was right: you are a selfish, blindsided child, who thinks that the world revolves around himself."
Artemis gave a final smile and dissipated into the darkness. The invisible platform vaporized, and Zechariah fell back through the nothingness again.

Eido, Zechariah thought to himself. I failed to ascend. I failed to go beyond human.

Attempt to reform myself into something more than a simple consciousness.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:55:23 am by DarkArtemisFowl »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: January 16, 2014, 01:16:08 am »

I KNEW IT! My flame manipulation abilities HAVE been completely redesigned from the ground up, a mere mimicry of the results, not the method, no wonder I'm having so much trouble controlling them. I shouldn't have been able to affect things outside this plane, but these entities are so used to using extra-planar shortcuts...

I should have known from the start, when my connections were severed, when I was able to be burned, when my control was so... loose. I'm no longer tied to my surroundings the way I'm used too, INCLUDING my connection to flame itself. They just gave me a mundane flame manipulation and resistance. A pale mimicry of what once was.

So why the illusion? Am I just a copy of my personality and memories or did they really maim me like this? Do, or did, I scare them? I... I shouldn't anymore.

Is this revenge against one of the others? Are they going to try to use me against them? Do they even exist anymore? Just how much have the entities been lying to me, really?

I need to calm down, I have to focus, to mimic the terrible thing I once was, long long ago. I have to draw on all the ruthlessness I can muster, and let the recoil and loss flow later with Stellar.

I must stride on.

"Damn it. Why... No. He knew the risks, he even insisted on it. I... We... must keep going."
Through interface, to team: <Zech, the parasite, and the host are all dead. Kill the reactor. D, What do we do with the device now?>
Stand clear and await our next instructions.

Through interface, to Stellar: <Is trying to win this game really the right thing to do?>
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 01:27:17 am by Lenglon »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: January 16, 2014, 03:45:50 am »

To team through interface: <Great! Too bad about the guy, but glad to hear that the problem's resolved.>

Cut the power!
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 521