Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1125776 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: The one where someone almost dies
« Reply #420 on: November 26, 2013, 09:51:38 am »

John nods.  "Name's John.  Why is the building on fire?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #421 on: November 26, 2013, 10:00:55 am »

((I need to know where I am in relation to the wall of flames, the guards, and the elevator, as well as if I saw what happened to Angel.))
((Well, you saw her getting hit in the face by a wall of flames. You probably don't know the full extent of her injuries (you can tell that her head (face, hair, ears, etc.) have been horribly damaged), but it's not hard to guess that anyone who took that kind of hit wouldn't survive for long.

You ran away from Angel and the Guards, towards the South. You didn't go very far before you heard the explosion and stopped. No more than 10 meters.

The quickest route to the elevator is through some offices that you can access from a door on your East, although you'd probably have to burn a hole in the door or do some trick with the handle to open it (Foxes don't have hands). The door is a bit further South, about 5 meters away from you.

The elevator is about a minute and a half of running, towards the Northeast.

The sphere of fire appeared between Angel and the two guards. It then exploded into three rings whose planes form right angles with each other. So one of those "bisected" the hallway, but thankfully missed Angel since she was standing closer to the walls, one of them formed the wall of fire and one of them formed the ring that hit Angel.

The guards have retreated a bit further away from the firewall, although you can't tell how much since it's blocking your vision. Angel is closer to the firewall, but not dangerously close yet. Maybe about 3 meters, if you measure it from her feet?

I know it's not a great description. Do you understand or do you want me to draw a map?))

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 26, 2013, 10:01:49 am »

(Okay, so how would me and Zech escape this situation?)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #423 on: November 26, 2013, 10:07:30 am »

((You'd probably enter bullet time and then dodge away while firing at the guards, wounding each of them fatally, while Zach would just stand there shooting, miss every shot, fail at using his powers and barely manage to dodge, if I were to guess from your previous performance.
Then again, you probably wouldn't end up in that mess in the first place, since you actually talk with each other and do some planning.))

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 26, 2013, 10:07:33 am »

(We're fine as far as I know, we've already made it to Fort Cookware. It's just the pyromaniacs who are having trouble in their part of the building, everyone else is okay.)

"I don't know John. But I'm worried. If they don't come back here soon I'm going to help.
Zechariah paces anxiously, looking down the hallway.

"Dammit, never mind. Jordan, get that door for them. I'm going to make sure we all get back okay."

Sprint to help Angel and help defend! Use the fire to summon my crystal shield to protect Angel and dispatch the guards using crytsal shards!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 10:14:05 am by DarkArtemisFowl »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 26, 2013, 10:58:03 am »

Jesus Christ... He hated charity cases. Begrudgingly, he opened the door and sighed. "Yeah, you can do that." He switched on his earpiece and communicated to the entity. "Hey, can I get an ETA on that First Response team?"
Open the door for Zech. Determine how long until the fire spreads to get the whole area.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 26, 2013, 11:09:31 am »

((Then again, you probably wouldn't end up in that mess in the first place, since you actually talk with each other and do some planning.))
((More importantly, neither of them is possessed by a slightly unhinged spirit.
Irene and Angel planned, it just wasn't very detailed. Nor did it account for the aforementioned spirit.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 26, 2013, 12:43:19 pm »

((You'd probably enter bullet time and then dodge away while firing at the guards, wounding each of them fatally, while Zach would just stand there shooting, miss every shot, fail at using his powers and barely manage to dodge, if I were to guess from your previous performance.
Then again, you probably wouldn't end up in that mess in the first place, since you actually talk with each other and do some planning.))
((My abilities constantly going haywire isn't helping at all. I try for a small tendril of flame, I make an explosion. I try for three specificly placed spheres, I get three expanding rings. I try for a small flicker and I get a volcanic blast. I've got none of the precision I keep trying for and instead I just keep getting random firey explosions that I do not want, even though pressure waves are not at all the same as flame! There is no art or precision or subtlety to the results I'm getting, and it's ruining the quality of my work!))

((The description  helped quite a bit, but I want to confirm:
| |
| F
|G|
|F|
|A|
| |
|I|
| E
| |

G = guards
F = fire (remember there is both the fire the guards were fighting and the new fire that just formed a wall between them and angel)
A = Angel
I = Irine
E = Route to Elevator
correct?))

Enhance the growth of the flames both behind and in front of the guards, encircling them with fire, and keep the flames growing inwards until they have nowhere to hide.
To Angel: <You'd BETTER live through this Angel! You aren't going to get out of the royal chewing out you deserve for that stunt that easy.>
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #428 on: November 26, 2013, 02:08:47 pm »

((My abilities constantly going haywire isn't helping at all. I try for a small tendril of flame, I make an explosion. I try for three specificly placed spheres, I get three expanding rings. I try for a small flicker and I get a volcanic blast. I've got none of the precision I keep trying for and instead I just keep getting random firey explosions that I do not want, even though pressure waves are not at all the same as flame! There is no art or precision or subtlety to the results I'm getting, and it's ruining the quality of my work!))
((Hey, it's an RTD. What am I supposed to do when you roll high or low? The fact that you have fire resistance and thus can't be really hurt by fire doesn't help the chances of everyone around you. And despite all that, you did a pretty good job, all things considered. You would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids if Angel had just teleported a second time.

There are two kinds of "explosions":
There are explosions caused by the fact that fire means heat, so one of the side effects of creating and controlling fire is that you're suddenly superheating parts of the air or moving superheated parts of air around. Superheated air means increase in pressure and increased pressure without something to contain it means violent expansion. The "volcanic eruption" was of that sort, since you basically superheated all the air inside that wall with an overshoot. This also happens when you cause large amounts of water to evaporate, as was the case in the bathroom or the rec room, resulting in an explosion (read: violent expansion) of steam.
Then there are the kind of explosions that aren't really explosions, more like you (or more accurately your power) controlling the fire to make it expand like an explosion. So more like a fast expansion of existing flame in all directions. The rings of fire or the explosion over the director were of that kind, a wall of flame and heat expanding away from a central point while thinning out and weakening at the same time.
I should probably use different words to differentiate them.

More accurately, like this:
Before & After
|   |  |   |
|   |  |???|
| GGF  |?F?F
| G |  |FFF|
|T  |  |AF |
|   |  |   |
|   |  | I |
|   E  |   E
|   |  |   |

G = Guard
? = possible guard location (There's fire and smoke blocking your view)
F = fire (remember there is both the fire the guards were fighting (the one in the bathroom) and the new fire that just formed a wall between them and angel)
T = Angel and Irene
A = Angel
I = Irine
E = Wooden door to offices that lead to the Elevator

Which should be to scale if you consider every square to be about 5 meters long vertically and 1.5 meters long horizontally.

If there are no objections, I'll start doing the turn now.))
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:11:15 pm by Parisbre56 »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 26, 2013, 02:25:33 pm »

((How about "explosion" for the actual explosion and "fireball" for the one that isn't?))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 26, 2013, 03:09:06 pm »

John rolled his eyes, and started his next project...

Make a door-breaching explosive or three.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 26, 2013, 03:12:46 pm »

I shall asperiment with my abilitah!

Try to summon a gigantic fork.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 26, 2013, 03:51:41 pm »

To Angel: <You'd BETTER live through this Angel! You aren't going to get out of the royal chewing out you deserve for that stunt that easy.>
To Irene: <I'm sorry!>
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Special People: Last second save
« Reply #433 on: November 26, 2013, 09:10:55 pm »

((How about "explosion" for the actual explosion and "fireball" for the one that isn't?))
((Good idea. Thanks, I'll try to do that.))

Seek alternate routes! Find the elevator. Use the chimney if I can't think of anything better.
You make your way to the part of the elevator shaft that's sticking out of the roof. It's nothing more than walls of solid concrete. There seems to have been a hole near the roof sometime in the past, but it has been covered by concrete more recently. You give it a few stomps. Nope, it's solid. Unless you've got some explosives or superstrength, you're not going through there.
The chimney goes slightly better. Even before you approach, your sensitive sense of smell informs you that they're burning fuel in there, probably petrol for some kind of generator or heating system. You slowly put your hand in the hole. It's just warm, not hot. You take a deep breath and take a brief peek down the chimney. Hey, there seems to be light in there. Even if it's glass instead of a hole, you could break it open with your silenced pistol. You just need to carefully slide down there while holding your breath. The chimney is a circular thing, just wide enough to fit you comfortably. Very good find, all things considered.
"If you manage to make your way down there, it will take you to the generator room. It's less than a minute to the elevator from there."

(We're fine as far as I know, we've already made it to Fort Cookware. It's just the pyromaniacs who are having trouble in their part of the building, everyone else is okay.)

"I don't know John. But I'm worried. If they don't come back here soon I'm going to help.
Zechariah paces anxiously, looking down the hallway.

"Dammit, never mind. Jordan, get that door for them. I'm going to make sure we all get back okay."

Sprint to help Angel and help defend! Use the fire to summon my crystal shield to protect Angel and dispatch the guards using crytsal shards!
You are a man with a bullet in his leg that is about a minute-minute and a half of a normal uninjured person's running away from the woman who's in the brink of dying next to a fire and some angry guards. I hope you realize you're not getting there this turn.
You also technically shouldn't know about that, but let's just say the entity told you so for convenience's sake.

Despite all the above, with the magic of good rolling, you manage to half hop half run your way to the offices near the hallway Irene and Angel are in. You can hear the sound of gunfire coming from the hallway.

Jesus Christ... He hated charity cases. Begrudgingly, he opened the door and sighed. "Yeah, you can do that." He switched on his earpiece and communicated to the entity. "Hey, can I get an ETA on that First Response team?"
Open the door for Zech. Determine how long until the fire spreads to get the whole area.
Your teammate runs hops off while you push the hand on the palm scanner. After a few seconds of scanning, a light on the hand scanner blinks red.
You clean up the palm a bit from all the blood and try it again. The scanner blinks green and the doors to the elevator begin to open, revealing a rather uninteresting metal platform with a few wooden boxes on it. The platform is a square with its sides as long as the width of the hallway you're in, which means it's very big. There's an operating panel near one edge of the platform, with a few simple options such as open doors and go down.

The entity informs you that this is a concrete building equipped with firefighting systems and that if it wasn't for Firefox helping to sustain all those fires and all the chaos and destruction you have collectively caused the fires would be already out. Furthermore, the fires are far enough that even with the firefighting systems sabotaged it would take a long time for it to get here.
John rolled his eyes, and started his next project...
Make a door-breaching explosive or three.
You get a small lump of plastic explosive and a few miniature pencil detonators. They will be able to blow some locks off doors. You can get maybe two or three uses out of that lump. Or you can use it all for a bigger boom.
I shall asperiment with my abilitah!

Try to summon a gigantic fork.
You get a tiny pastry fork. Now all you need is some dessert. Maybe some pie. Mmmmm..... pie....

You idiot!
Hey, hey, shut up. This will end alright.
I'm blind, I'm deaf, and I can't breathe!
You've still got me, doncha?

Drpop the flame-generation power and replace it with more regeneration or some kind of healing ability. Heal myself! Also crawl away from the fire.
((Let's hope for a good roll here... Nope.))
You gain very slow regeneration, a barely felt increase over normal human regeneration.
((Well, let's have you drop that other power. I'm assuming you want that. Let's see, final chance... Lucky. But you're not safe yet.))
You gain the ability to accelerate the rate your other power works. Unfortunately, it also messes a bit with your time perception, making it harder for you to do things without fumbling. But that's the least of your problems right now, isn't it?
Enhance the growth of the flames both behind and in front of the guards, encircling them with fire, and keep the flames growing inwards until they have nowhere to hide.
Irene uses her fire control to ensnare the guards in a circle of fire, even though she doesn't know exactly where they are.
As the flames lunge forward, you can see steam rising from the flames. One of the guards must be using the hose to fight the flames. The water is barely strong enough to hold back Irene's fire, the water flying left and right in frantic jets, but it's holding the line.

On the bright side, they still can't get a clear shot, which proves fortunate when two bangs are heard behind the wall of flame, accompanied by the sound of bullets ricocheting off the walls and curses and threats that would add nothing to this RTD if they were written.

During all this Angel manages to fight the pain and panic and turn around to lie on her stomach. In a display of superhuman willpower, she begins crawling forward towards Irene, even though every time she moves her hands or touches anything she feels like being burnt all over again. Just in time too, as two more bullets ricochet off the ground near the place she was just lying.
As she keeps crawling, the molten flesh begins sloughing off of her and she coughs, removing some of the blood and damaged tissue from her lungs. She's not dead, but she's a long way from fine.
If it's any consolation, the bullet falls of Angel's leg and the bleeding is reduced significantly.

Everyone except Irene and Angel
The entity speaks through your earpieces "Can somebody please tell Firefox and Littlegirl to try and do the whole 'not dying' and 'escaping' thing a bit faster? They have both managed to somehow lose their earpieces and I can't talk through the Interface while I'm using this human. I may have shut down the guard's radios, but it doesn't take a genius to follow the sound of gunfire. They'll be swarmed soon."
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 07:25:53 am by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Last second save
« Reply #434 on: November 26, 2013, 09:23:54 pm »

Not bad.

John sighed when he heard the voice, and addressed the Interface.
  **Attention slowpoke Firefox and little girl:  The entities controlling us say you need to hurry the hell up before you're surrounded and murdered.**
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 521