Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20

Author Topic: Battletech campaigns & multiplayer (newbies welcome)  (Read 42715 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battletech campaigns & multiplayer (newbies welcome)
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2013, 06:19:14 am »

Feel free to contact me via forum PM or Steam (or in campaign lobby) if you wish to play a game - campaign or non campaign, anything goes.  :)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2013, 10:32:11 am »

So I won another match the other day through my enemy surrendering. It felt lame.

I've been fighting with some low-BV, fast-mech lances, like Cicadas, OstScouts and Locusts, then perhaps a Mongoose... but invariably I go up against someone who has 6+ vehicles, essentially negating the advantages of a more mobile mech army. Which sucks! So with two relatively fast armies, the match took a while.

He had this amazingly fast hover vehicle with a ton'o'guns, and my one longer-ranged mech, an UrbanMech with an AC/10 UrbanMech was destroyed early in the fight because they just flanked him easily in two turns. The hover was amazing because we were fighting on plains with lots of rough terrain.

So after dancing around forever, and me feeling wretched because whenever I didn't have initiative I would ruuuun to try to recover from excessive heat and lack of ability to respond to his moves, two things happened. First, he ran out of AC/5 and SRM ammo and had only smaller lasers, and second, I *finally* got a decent hit on the hover vehicle, meaning he went from like, 8-12 movement to 4-6. He couldn't run after me, had a much harder time responding, etc.

If charge was working (there's now a workaround) he could possibly have pulled it off, but we would've just been running around for a whole lot longer. He surrendered, partially because he didn't want to lose that amazing hover tank, which was suddenly a much easier target, at pretty high BV.

My next match was just insane frustration. I'm not gonna describe it, but basically every turn I would get in at least 3 shots at 6+ to hit and another 3 at 7+, and repeatedly only hit 1 of them. Generally a small or medium laser, rather than my large laser... grrr. Ended up losing my amazing Phoenix Hawk :( Luckily I have another one. Will have to buy some more mechs to refit that army though...

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2013, 11:20:09 am »

So I won another match the other day through my enemy surrendering. It felt lame.

I've been fighting with some low-BV, fast-mech lances, like Cicadas, OstScouts and Locusts, then perhaps a Mongoose... but invariably I go up against someone who has 6+ vehicles, essentially negating the advantages of a more mobile mech army. Which sucks! So with two relatively fast armies, the match took a while.

He had this amazingly fast hover vehicle with a ton'o'guns, and my one longer-ranged mech, an UrbanMech with an AC/10 UrbanMech was destroyed early in the fight because they just flanked him easily in two turns. The hover was amazing because we were fighting on plains with lots of rough terrain.

So after dancing around forever, and me feeling wretched because whenever I didn't have initiative I would ruuuun to try to recover from excessive heat and lack of ability to respond to his moves, two things happened. First, he ran out of AC/5 and SRM ammo and had only smaller lasers, and second, I *finally* got a decent hit on the hover vehicle, meaning he went from like, 8-12 movement to 4-6. He couldn't run after me, had a much harder time responding, etc.

If charge was working (there's now a workaround) he could possibly have pulled it off, but we would've just been running around for a whole lot longer. He surrendered, partially because he didn't want to lose that amazing hover tank, which was suddenly a much easier target, at pretty high BV.

My next match was just insane frustration. I'm not gonna describe it, but basically every turn I would get in at least 3 shots at 6+ to hit and another 3 at 7+, and repeatedly only hit 1 of them. Generally a small or medium laser, rather than my large laser... grrr. Ended up losing my amazing Phoenix Hawk :( Luckily I have another one. Will have to buy some more mechs to refit that army though...

Was it a Drillson? They can be annoying if they're given the space and terrain to use their speed. Remember that you may also deny a surrender - may be poor sport but so is saving good units when its looking bad, but the outcome isnt yet fully decided...  ::)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2013, 11:28:59 am »

I actually meant that I felt bad about the game taking so long, and using the tactic that made it so: trying to keep moving until I had initiative. You can keep doing that forever, and whittle down an opponent, but games can take long, long hours. It also felt wrong because he if the client didn't have this charge bug, he could've likely immobilised quite a few of my mechs due to extra mobility. Oh well... His army was definitely a bit too dependent on ammo, so that once that was out he could only rely on small lasers and MGs.

Also, that name does not ring a bell, so I'm guessing it was something else. I have the worst memory :D

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2013, 02:02:23 am »

Honestly, in the 3025 campaign, there are only two effective lances at lower bv's: Vehicle lances, and anti-vehicle lances.

Still, I'm happy to hear that your mech lance beat a vehicle lance.  I know for sure that vehicles can charge: I had an opponent charge me with an empty LRM carrier.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2013, 04:02:21 pm »

Honestly, in the 3025 campaign, there are only two effective lances at lower bv's: Vehicle lances, and anti-vehicle lances.

Yeah, that's definitely the feeling I am getting. I build a very light, very fast mech army that I hope will make it so I have more mobility, but then I go against a vee army that's faster and more mobile than I am, not to say has more units.

I think I will start having two heavier mechs and two lighter mechs. If I go against a more "balanced" army, hopefully the heavier mechs can punch through the armour and the lighter ones can move in for the kick/kill. I dunno. I'm still very much afraid of losing my heavier mechs!

Regarding charging - there is a workaround. You walk until you are adjacent to the enemy unit, and THEN charge. Before you could click charge and click the enemy unit.

I've also started working on a guide with some important basic strategies. You can find it in the MekWars wiki here. Let me know if you think something's wrong, or whether something should be added :)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2013, 02:39:24 pm »

Is is wrong that I want to give you lots of awful advice just to boost my ELO versus newbies?  :P

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2013, 02:40:35 pm »

Very much :P

Won a match against fahr today, due to really good luck and going all-in! Wohoo, RNG is helping me!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2013, 12:01:23 pm »

Aw man, after a terribly complicated week, I finally managed to get another match going.

Once again, I was doing a smaller mech army against what invariably ends up being a Vee army. I'm slowly trying to make the Battle Value on my "lighter mech" army so that I'll be fighting against something that isn't vehicles, or at least vehicles who aren't drive 8, flank 12... Unfortunately it's still not working! Vees appear to be common almost up to 4000 BV!

This time, I was up against:
- Mechanised Tracked Rifle Platoon (Heavy Flamer)
- Mechanised Wheeled Mortar Platoon (Heavy)
- Motorised Rifle Platoon (Elephant Gun)
- Bulldog Medium Tank
- Maxim Heavy Rover Transport ** DESTROYED, then CAPTURED **
- Pike Support Vehicle (AC/5) ** DESTROYED **
- Saladin Assault Rover Tank (AC/20, 3/5, 8/12 movement) ** DESTROYED **

Let me describe to you that Saladin. It has insane movement - about as fast as any mech you can field. Then, its crew is a 3/5, which means its base to-hit number is 3 rather than the more usual 4. This is a variant that has extra armour. And then, it has an AC/20, which means that if it hits (and it's likely that it will since it can get so close so fast), it does 20 DAMAGE!!!

Let me put this in terms of the lighter army I was fielding. I had a CDA-2A Cicada, which is a pretty light mech with 2 medium lasers and 1 small laser. One shot from the AC/20 on an arm will: take out the armour, destroy the internals of the arm, then transfer to the side torso, and destroy the entire side-torso as well.

With ONE shot.

I had amazing luck, though. He did get an early AC/20 shoot against my Mongoose, taking out the left torso, and thus one of the medium lasers. All of his subsequent AC/20 shots failed, however, because I kept moving and keeping my distance. He usually only got AC/20 solutions on my mechs for 7+... he hit that one, and missed 2x7+ and 1x8+, so luck was still on my side.

Early on, he rushed his Maxim into the middle of my troops. It has 3x MG on rapid fire and a bunch of rear and side facing weapons. The firepower was definitely a fair bit distributed. His Saladin also needed to be fairly close for the AC/20 range. He kept them moving really fast, and I lost sight of them in some of the early turns. Since they are hover tanks, they could go onto a nearby lake that had hills surrounding it. The problem with that is that I'd lose a lot of movement points climbing hills, without knowing where he was, and wouldn't move as much as I needed to keep him from hitting me.

I had one Phoenix Hawk (or was it SHX?), which was my slowest unit. It had an AC/5 with 10 rounds of precision ammo, which made it easier to hit the fast units, but I couldn't really get very close. It also had a medium laser, one LRM 5 rack and an SRM2 rack. Not amazing, but definitely useful for trying to crit. Unfortunately, because it was slow, it was hard to get very good shots on his fast Maxim and Saladin. The upshot was that I had an incentive to keep my units together, around the PHX.

I kept running around not too far from the PHX, making sure to be hard to hit, and he eventually came in closer again with his Maxim and Saladin. He wasn't overly careful with his Pike or Bulldog, so that I got my Mongoose in a flanking position for some side-hits. He saw the Mongoose go away, and decided to move his Saladin and Maxim back in. That meant I managed to move my OstScout and Cicada in close, and the PHX also got some nicer to-hit numbers.

Most of the crits I'd done up to this point weren't really helpful. -1 MP here, or -3 to driving skills to his mostly already stationary units. However, when he moved in his Saladin, I managed to focus fire from two or three mechs on it. The fact that I had initiative and that he had to be close for good shots meant that from then on out, every turn I managed at least 1 or 2 mechs in a position to kick him.

It was the kicks that won me the game - his armour was already weakened, and I always got him from the sides that were already damaged. His Saladin exploded when I hit the fuel tanks, and while he ran away with the Maxim for a turn, I ran in right next to his Pike with a few mechs and focused fire on that. Since he had barely moved the Pike, it was a pretty easy hit frm sides and back... it exploded with one of the crits.

The Maxim was pretty damaged by then, my leftover weapons had ben firing at infantry, which was starting to become much less effective, and then it was just a matter of ignoring his retreating Bulldog (with 1xLRM20) and mopping up the Maxim.

At the end, my Cicada had 1 armour on both his legs (really close to being incapped), the Mongoose had no left arm or left torso and had one internal point on his center torso (really close to being destroyed). Many other mechs were out of armour in a variety of places (really close to being critted). His damage on me was really spread out. Most of his crits resulted in absolutely no damage to me, except for two jumpjet hits on my OstScout, and an engine hit in the round that I won. His AC/20 didn't really hit any significant shots (except for the Mongoose, which I love), all his crits on me were useless, and while my initial ones didn't affect him, the ones I got from kicking his vehicles took them out entirely.

All in all, luck played the major role in winning this. I kept my mechs moving so that he never really got anything below a 7+ to hit me, but he played much better. One extra hit from his AC/20 would've changed the match, or a crit to one of the many unarmoured sections of my mechs.

Oof. Long post, sorry guys :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2013, 12:03:54 pm »

The one thing people will learn if they play Battletech long enough is that Battle rating is deceptive. It is basically a "overall effectiveness" but it doesn't represent the effectiveness in all situations.

There are quite a few mechs created who are terrible in every single situation... except one.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2013, 12:14:35 pm »

Cool, battle report, Anvil! Keep em up. Glad to see that you're getting some wins, even if you managed to get a few lucky rolls :D

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 27, 2013, 12:17:37 pm »

Aw man, I was sure noone would read that report (AKA wall of text)! Thanks for reading :)

Glad you enjoyed it! I am trying to get myself up to the point where I make a larger BV army and use that... I'm scared of losing expensive mechs though, that's for sure. I have a 4000+ BV army that I haven't really managed to get into action just yet... when I lose mechs from those though, I might consider adding some of my heavies and upping the BV a bit further. We'll see! :)

Any tips on whether to consider 5 mech vs 4 mech lances? Your overall mech is weaker, but you get to init sink a bit more, and perhaps use faster mechs.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 27, 2013, 09:44:53 pm »

I'm a fan of mixed lances.  So instead of going 5 meks, go 4 meks 1 vee.  Really ups the firepower you can bring to the table.

Nice after-battle action report!  Based on weapon loadout, I'm pretty sure you were fielding a Shadow Hawk instead of a Phoenix Hawk (the Phoenix Hawk usually has a large laser, which was absent on your loadout, and is overall faster).

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2013, 11:13:44 pm »

Saladins rock when used correctly.

I'm finally out of SOL and into the Free Worlds League. Got a very nice draw on the initial mech loadout -- Atlas, Warhammer, Thunderbolt, Orion, Shootist just at the top of the list. Wound up trading the Shootist for a Trebuchet (always been a fan of the 'Bucket).

And two Manticores down in the vehicle section, which are probably my favorite all-around tank.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2013, 11:33:00 pm »

Added you!

Also, dayum, cannot recognise you with that avatar, RedKing!

That seems like a pretty good draw indeed - not looking forward to meeting you on the field :) Are you starting out using those? I guess I'm the only one afraid of using my heavies, heh... could sure use some spare bays though!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20