Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20

Author Topic: Battletech campaigns & multiplayer (newbies welcome)  (Read 42716 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Battletech campaigns & multiplayer (newbies welcome)
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2013, 07:05:05 pm »

Also, the 3025 campaign requires you to play two "practice" battles versus another human player before you can join a faction and play the game proper.

If you need help choosing a faction, let us know!  We're more than happy to tell you about the various factions.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2013, 07:13:39 pm »

Post to declare intense, burning intrest. Never really played anything Battletech, know very, very little about the lore and everything, watched TotalBiscuit play that one online version that one time.

Still, mecha.

MECHA.

That's all I needed to hear.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2013, 08:08:22 pm »

Well, you know what to do - join the Steam group, hop on the server, etc! There's usually someone glad to explain things :)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2013, 08:10:45 pm »

Likely will, although I don't use Steam on my laptop. I'll be on at some point in the next few days, universe willing. Posted so this would appear in my inbox, as a sort of reminder.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2013, 08:16:36 pm »

Well, let me know. I should be on for a few hours tonight still, in case you want to learn :) We can meet up on some other platform - up to you! :)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2013, 09:14:18 pm »

Playing around with MegaMek, to get a feel for the game.

Played a sample campaign, going to look at building a team. I already know I want to field an Archer, but not sure which one. I'll post ideas I had later on, I'm going to shoot for a 4000-4500 BV setup.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2013, 10:30:33 pm »

It's kinda tough if you don't really know all the rules, but that will certainly get you started! The quickstart rulebook is pretty small and neat though, if you want to start with that. Also, use Princess as a bot, if you get the chance - she does provide some challenge! :)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2013, 12:11:10 am »

Welp, got an account all set, but nobody seems to be active for me to fight.

I'll try again a different time of day.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2013, 07:43:01 am »

Did you ask in the main chat? Usually there is someone on to play with, and people dont mind to play non-campaign games.

Remember that if you want to learn something, have a practice game or just need to play a relaxed game outside of the campaign, you may still join either(or any) of the campaigns, ask for an opponent and simply join one of the available dedicated servers and play.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2013, 09:40:11 am »

Yeah, I think they get a lot of people who only look into the server then leave when you ask them questions, so I think so far they generally avoid interacting too much with newbies unless they take the first step. Just saying "hello, I'm new here" is a pretty good way of having a few of them talk to you :)

It probably also depends on your timezone. I usually see 10-15 players on evenings EST, which is enough to get a match quickly enough.

MekWars Legends is supposed to be more popular by most accounts, so you could also try that if MekWars 3025 doesn't have anyone in your timezone?

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2013, 04:04:03 pm »

Pretty sure I've got the very basics down, enough to function on a team maybe. Tried Princess, gave her an Assault class. The only Assault class.

I actually think she almost lost, though, because she was very close to losing her torso armor (1~5 left on each section). Had a four-way game, and set Spawn to N/S/E/W... not fun when Princess decided to set up shop almost directly on top of me.

A lot of what I know comes from that one video, the mechanics aren't completely alien to me. Had a catastrophic overheat on my very first go leading to ammo explosions, leading to pilot ejection. I'm getting somewhat better, just don't know -all- the fun tactics and things.

I'm also sort of interested in making maps, I've got a few ideas floating around my head from things like Front Mission Evolved (the antarctic mission was pretty sweet, admittedly) and Armored Core.

I'm also not messing with atmosphere or gravity yet because... yikes, special rules. I think. I don't want to invoke them if they're there, though I assume gravity just affects max jump height/movement over height.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2013, 04:07:18 pm »

Did you ask in the main chat? Usually there is someone on to play with, and people dont mind to play non-campaign games.

Remember that if you want to learn something, have a practice game or just need to play a relaxed game outside of the campaign, you may still join either(or any) of the campaigns, ask for an opponent and simply join one of the available dedicated servers and play.
Yeah, wasn't really looking for a "learning" match (I've been playing Btech since the early 90's at least, and MegaMek for about as long as it's been in development), just want to get my mandatory two matches out of the way so I can leave SOL and join a faction. (This is on MekWars 3025.)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 19, 2013, 04:10:53 pm »

Yeah, wasn't really looking for a "learning" match (I've been playing Btech since the early 90's at least, and MegaMek for about as long as it's been in development), just want to get my mandatory two matches out of the way so I can leave SOL and join a faction. (This is on MekWars 3025.)

If you explain that, you shouldn't have much trouble.  3025 is almost desperate for players to join the campaign.  If you have time now, I'll hop online and duel you.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2013, 05:22:45 pm »

Joining 3025... or at least, going to try and get that knocked out today.

I'm on. Probably about to get crushed by another SOL member, but why not.

Feel free to attack me/ ask for attacks, I'm ready for this.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2013, 06:20:46 pm »

Noticed you having trouble with the server, hope it goes better for you.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20