Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Author Topic: Battletech campaigns & multiplayer (newbies welcome)  (Read 42730 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: B12 reinforces Battletech MekWars 3025 campaign! (newbies welcome!)
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2013, 04:56:39 am »

I can't get the .bat to work, any reason I can't just use the client file?

You should try to use them because it gives the JVM more memory, which MekWars needs. I would suggest you simply alter them. I changed "start javaw" to "java". That also gives me a console that stays open (in case of errors), and Steam recognises it as a non-steam game :)

Even changing to "start java" give me the error message "cannot find program java".  I certainly have java installed, as I can run the game properly with the client file.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2013, 05:18:58 am »

Well, I'll take an incompetent but well-meaning scumbag over any ill-intentioned scumbag any day of the week!

Capellan Confederation go!

Wait... scumbag kind of implies that they aren't really well-meaning. D'oh...

The Free Worlds League seemed pretty nifty, judging from the Sarna description, but it said their military was very combined arms, and I want giant mechs, dammit! :)

Oh god ANYTHING but the Capellans, please. They make dwarven nobles look sane. I mean it. The only reason they're still a nation is they're only slightly better at backstabbing others than they are themselves.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2013, 05:25:14 am »

Well, remember that the MekWars campaign is significantly different than canon.  Primarily, there are no backstabbing mechanics.  From what I've seen, the Capellan players are an upstanding lot.

...though, when I was playing six years ago, several members were accused of living up to the Capellan stereotype.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2013, 08:30:06 am »

Hahahaha :D

Euchre: you'll need to add Java to your path. There's a simple guide here's a decent path!

Won my first game yesterday! I successfully defended against a light/medium mek raid! I did have a fair amount of luck... won initiative a bunch of times, and had an AC/10 pretty much immobilising my enemy. I then proceeded to immobilise another 2 meks, and he was left only with a Locust, which couldn't do much. From then on it was a matter of shooting the fallen foes to reduce BV enough to win the battle! No losses on my side, and I managed to capture a Hatchet and a Mongoose. Wohooo!

Then I promptly lost a vehicle raid... I destroyed a Condor heavy tank that got right into the middle of my troops, but unfortunately in that same turn he managed to blow up the ammo (and thus, the entire tank) on one of my tanks, and immobilise a AC/20 Hetzer, AND another vehicle. And that was that. He only needed to mop up after that :(

Still, first won battle get \o/

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2013, 08:54:11 am »

Thanks, adding Java to my path worked!

Congrats on your victory!

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2013, 09:00:41 am »

Congrats!!!

Thats how the dice often works... A victory or defeat may be resolved to a large extent by just a couple of rolls, and the less units one has on the field, the bigger impact each roll may have. Just wair till your first 1st turn hd-hit through armor critical on cockpit!  ;D

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2013, 10:22:50 am »

Yeah, I keep getting told these absolutely terrifying horror stories... like someone who had an amazingly rare assault mech that he was super excited to get out on his first battle. The first shot fired as an AC/2 (that's right, AC/2, not AC/20) that hit the head on a 12+, critted, and killed the pilot. Turn one.

I would've raged so hard, hahahaha :D

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2013, 08:44:35 pm »

That story was around when I was on the server four years ago.

The secret is not to get attached your meks.  After all, it's not like you can keep them between cycles or anything.  Of course, this cycle has just begun, but they typically only last six months or so.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2013, 08:47:30 pm »

At least it was only the head and not the ammo. It's a lot easier to clean out the goop and install a new cockpit than it is to duct tape all the burnt shrapnel back together.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2013, 09:48:51 pm »

It's certainly a boon for the winner, although that is probably not the player who lost their mek to the headshot.

Won my second Solarus match, so now batting 500.  That is significantly better than when I played 4 years ago.

Also, I'm now pirate scum (periphery).  High High Ho and a Barrel of Rum!

Wow, I'm still breaking even.  Lost a light mek and my first mission with the pirate scum, but gained two vehicles and victory in my second mission.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2013, 10:50:21 am »

Don't you lose an insane amount of mechs when you defect from a faction to another faction? Like 75%?

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2013, 11:57:25 am »

Don't you lose an insane amount of mechs when you defect from a faction to another faction? Like 75%?

Only after the first time when you leave Solaris.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2013, 11:58:28 am »

I thought Euchre had already chosen some other faction! :)

If you're playing, don't forget to say what faction you are so I update the OP with that information!

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2013, 12:16:46 pm »

And IIRC one cant defect out of the Pirates later...  :)

I just re-registered to what is now the 8th Campaign in the MWL.

I'm again the 7th Free World Legionnaires.  :)

BTW the server address is wrong in the downloadable client... Change it to mwlegends.dyndns.org if you decide to try it. You need to log in twice the first time(and also change the address twice because it doesnt save) - the client will download required updates first.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2013, 01:22:45 pm »

Oh, so that's why I haven't been able to check it out. They really ought to fix that...

I had trouble finding a match yesterday, so I might be active in both campaigns. I'm curious about MWLegends after talking to Erkki, especially the shorter playtimes :) I can add stuff to the OP about MWLegends if someone writes a nice blurb for it. Something about the difference between the two would be welcome as well!

Also, added MWLegends list with Erkki to the OP. Let me know if you're active there as well.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:29:46 pm by Anvilfolk »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20