Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Where are the caverns?  (Read 1648 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where are the caverns?
« on: November 06, 2013, 04:11:20 pm »

I am on a good site... got all my industries humming along, with an acceptable amount of loiterers and layabouts, but I can't find caverns anywhere.  I am more than 20 levels below ground (108 atm iirc) and there just... don't seem to be any.  Where are they usually?  Should I just sprint for the basement?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where are the caverns?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 04:16:58 pm »

cavern depth varies, keep exploring downward and you will almost certainly run into one

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 04:21:43 pm »

If you still don't hit the caverns, dig sideways. It's sometimes possible to dig a shaft down in such a place that one can hit semi-molten rock without finding the caverns.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 04:34:06 pm »

If you've dug past them and want to avoid random side-digging you can "scan" for the caverns. Do b->o to start building a paved road, set it to maximum size, and start going down Z levels. Sections of the road block will change color when intersecting open cavern tiles, even if they're unrevealed.

Kinda exploity, but it just saves time rather than giving a real in-game advantage.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 08:42:48 pm »

Kinda exploity, but it just saves time rather than giving a real in-game advantage.

Except if you don't want to open up the caverns, you can use this method to go past them :O So that you don't have 1000000 FB's in there once you decide you need gold and precious gems.

And Giant Cave Spiders.

And candy :3
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 09:04:27 pm »

Except if you don't want to open up the caverns, you can use this method to go past them :O So that you don't have 1000000 FB's in there once you decide you need gold and precious gems.

And Giant Cave Spiders.

And candy :3

True!

Wow, I had never thought of using it to -avoid- caverns, since I'm always so eager to see what they look like.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 09:18:12 pm »

Wow, I had never thought of using it to -avoid- caverns, since I'm always so eager to see what they look like.

I'll use that on ocasion for trying to find a strait shot down to magma so I can get a single shaft with minimal effort if I havent discovered all the caverns yet.   If I cant find a reasonable spot close I just go down wherever its convenient up top and build stairs and walls as needed.   Then agian I tend to wall off small sections of the caverns as soon as I crack them open and use those as launching points for further exploration.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 08:55:41 am »

This trick was the secret.  Thanks a ton... that makes a real difference in my miners' quality of life.  Now they don't have to grid each floor as they go down.  My jeweler was legendary on all the gems they found, but it was really annoying the weavers and clothiers by how long the process was taking  :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 10:20:31 am »

Digging down at the intersections of embark tiles is more likely to make you skip caverns.

Start a totally flat 2x2 map, and dig a 1x1 shaft as close to each corner as you can. Then, move in 20-25 tiles from each corner and dig again. Odds are, the corner shafts will pass by more caverns than the more central shafts. If you generate a world with no cavern passages (or fully reveal the magma sea) it'll be easier to see why this is the case.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 10:43:05 am »

How do I dig a 1x1 shaft?  I thought I had to have stairs beside it or something...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 10:57:33 am »

A 1x1 shaft IS a shaft of stairs.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 11:26:35 am »

In my current fortress, I digged down to the third cavern without hitting the other levels. I then reached the Magma Sea and the Candy...
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 03:00:00 pm »

20 levels down is nothing. First cavern can be as low as -100.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 09:45:49 am »

It just depends. Once I went down 6 z-levels and I gt the message about the caverns having been breached  One other time I had to go down well over 40.   Caverns are in every embark, so you'll hit them eventually!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 08:49:51 pm »

20 levels down is nothing. First cavern can be as low as -100.

jeez, I have never encountered more than like 15 z-levels down on a natural, non-modded, or custom genned game, that's insane!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: [1] 2