Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 233

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 346879 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1350 on: October 27, 2015, 07:58:05 am »

In more spacey aimed stuff, it seems like some of our space trash is coming back. From the sound of things it isn't going to be a problem, though it looks like labs are going to use this as an excellent training exercise and field test for many of the protocols that would be used if a more dangerous piece of space stuff (like say, a large asteroid), was headed towards us.
And of course, people are claiming that it is aliens and the government is lying to us.
Ugh, I hate those people. Specially when it's obviously a ruse to hide bigfoot.
:P
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: October 27, 2015, 10:41:46 am »

In more spacey aimed stuff, it seems like some of our space trash is coming back. From the sound of things it isn't going to be a problem, though it looks like labs are going to use this as an excellent training exercise and field test for many of the protocols that would be used if a more dangerous piece of space stuff (like say, a large asteroid), was headed towards us.
And of course, people are claiming that it is aliens and the government is lying to us.
Ugh, I hate those people. Specially when it's obviously a ruse to hide bigfoot.
You're not thinking combinatorially! Obviously Bigfoot is and alien! :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: October 27, 2015, 10:56:03 am »

No, You gotta get at least 3 in a row to score big points.

Bigfoot is the result of atavism in human alien hybrids.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: October 27, 2015, 10:57:39 am »

Bigfoot is the result of atavism in human alien hybrids.
Guess it's time to go alert the XCOM2 team then. I'll be hiding out in my basement and praying that we build enough satellites. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: October 27, 2015, 08:38:25 pm »

Yay, back to space! In other, not earth threatening news, I just watched this youtube video about space travel technologies. It seemed pretty good, but then I got to this part. Owwwww.
Despite the guy being rather annoying and a little bit wrong though, it's a pretty good list of alternatives to chemical rockets.

edit: I came off pretty condescending there, so I should say: I wasn't trying to! It's actually a pretty good video. Good work, TestTube+ guy!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 08:44:59 pm by ShadowHammer »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: October 31, 2015, 10:46:51 pm »

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: November 01, 2015, 12:52:34 am »

I'm just mad that they all it a "spooky asteroid"

All asteroids are either terrifying or lumps of rock. This is the latter.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: November 03, 2015, 06:42:58 pm »

SHINY!

I'd love to have this as a screensaver of some sort, it's rather calming for a giant flaming ball of flaming space fire.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: November 03, 2015, 06:49:26 pm »

You could make it one???
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: November 04, 2015, 02:51:18 pm »

Well, NASA has stated they are going to announce an "exciting" discovery re: Mars tomorrow. The 'net is abuzz with "it's life isn't it? I hope it's life". So anything less than that is going to be a huge disappointment. It's kinda obvious that people would make that leap if you just dangle out "major discovery! you will be excited", so whatever it is must be life or something equally cool. Let's hope they found something like algae growing there somewhere.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: November 04, 2015, 03:08:40 pm »

People always jump to "LIFE", why not "a new compound?" "Some seismic activity" "Other trace gases" or something else.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: November 04, 2015, 03:12:42 pm »

Because life is a lot more dramatic, interesting, and relevant to the everyman than "other trace gases".
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: November 04, 2015, 03:31:10 pm »

Well, NASA has really set themselves up for ridicule if it's something boring by the way they've trickled out teasers.

EDIT: I did some more snooping, and it seems to be related to probes of the Martian atmosphere, specifically studying how the atmosphere has changed over time:
http://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-is-making-a-big-announcement-about-mars-s-atmosphere-this-thursday

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 03:56:59 pm by Reelya »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: November 04, 2015, 03:35:09 pm »

They did the same when they found water for the x-th time.

It'll be sometging atmosphere related.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: November 04, 2015, 03:48:01 pm »

Put me down in the sweepstake for "Mars actually tastes of strawberry".

Unlikely?  Maybe, but if I'm right... ...I will expect you to all to bow down and proclaim me your God.

(PS: Meant to bring to your attention this strange thing.  And now I have...)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 04:14:34 pm by Starver »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 233