Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 46

Author Topic: Transhumanism Discussion Thread  (Read 53560 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Transhumanism Discussion Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2013, 03:37:49 pm »

The problem is, sometimes the body does reject them, forming 'scars' of glial tissue, which actually can signal, but use a very different mechanism than neurons (calcium cation wave vs. depolarization).
Indeed, but given that we already have cases of that not happening, preventing glial tissue formation should not prove an insurmountable issue. We merely need to observe the conditions that involve it happening or not, and then try to ensure the "not" conditions are prevalent. From there it should be easy enough to narrow down the exact problem.

As it so happens, preventing glial tissue formation is actually the exact given reason for neuropozyne being necessary for augmented humans in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. They really did their homework on that one, as the primary need for it is also not in the body augmentations themselves, but in the biochip that attaches them to the brain.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2013, 03:49:13 pm »

The problem is, sometimes the body does reject them, forming 'scars' of glial tissue, which actually can signal, but use a very different mechanism than neurons (calcium cation wave vs. depolarization).
Indeed, but given that we already have cases of that not happening, preventing glial tissue formation should not prove an insurmountable issue. We merely need to observe the conditions that involve it happening or not, and then try to ensure the "not" conditions are prevalent. From there it should be easy enough to narrow down the exact problem.

As it so happens, preventing glial tissue formation is actually the exact given reason for neuropozyne being necessary for augmented humans in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. They really did their homework on that one, as the primary need for it is also not in the body augmentations themselves, but in the biochip that attaches them to the brain.

On the other hand, they screwed up by calling the biochips biochips. Actual biochips are not chips to be put in living organisms but a microscopic lab of sorts for biochemical analyses.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2013, 03:51:28 pm »

Eh, it's mostly off into fiction by that point anyway, and plenty of things have been given the same name as other things due to some misunderstanding/amusing anecdote. For example, tanks (machines of war) were given their name due to their visual similarity to tanks (holds liquid).
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2013, 03:53:59 pm »

And you don't need to do anything to the brain to hook up cybernetics to it, unless they're actual brain augments. A prosthetic arm just needs to hook up with the neurons in the shoulder.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2013, 04:01:17 pm »

The idea, I believe, is that it got around the problem of neuroprosthetics by having them be non-connected machines that take orders from the biochip.
No Gods, No Masters.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2013, 04:04:32 pm »

Seems like neuroprosthetics would just be more straightforward, though. No sticking things in people's brains, no having to run superfluous artificial wiring across the body.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2013, 04:35:38 pm »

Anybody heard about this Circadia thingy, and what it does?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2013, 04:46:08 pm »

As far as I can see, v1.0 measures your temperature and lights up when you have a fever. It can also send messages using Bluetooth.

So not much for now. Also, it's quite bulky.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2013, 04:48:46 pm »

Yea, that is a lot of brick to wear on your arm to tell you something your immune system already does pretty well.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2013, 04:51:05 pm »

Yea, that is a lot of brick to wear on your arm to tell you something your immune system already does pretty well.
Your immune system has Bluetooth?

Meh, mine still runs using infrared.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2013, 04:54:17 pm »

Pneumatic tubes here.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2013, 05:07:32 pm »

Is anyone still using carved granite slabs for their immune system?

Do lead tablets count?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2013, 05:11:08 pm »

Hmm... The paranoid puritan in me sees in every step taking the human out of humanity an inherent slope I would wish to be not a part of. Yet the pragmatist sees the value of perceiving more, enduring longer.

I reckon once I'm old and in need of such things, long live the technocracy.

Until then, stay away from me robots. I'll steal your batteries.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2013, 05:11:32 pm »

Is anyone still using carved granite slabs for their immune system?

Do lead tablets count?
I heard those had a horrible lifespan. Only lasts until you die of heavy metal poisoning.

If heavy metal poisoning is a thing, why nobody cancelled that concert around here last week?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2013, 05:18:53 pm »

Technocracy is where society is ruled by scientists, engineers, and other in-field people selected for the positions they are best in. Most nations have elements of technocracy ultimately stemming from either a democratic or autocratic power structure, but people who say they support technocracy mean so in the sense that all positions would be selected in this format.

I disagree with technocracy. It has benefits, to be sure, but ultimately rulership should be derived from the people. Only by bestowing this responsibility can the people grow, and in time they will also fufil the standard of electing leaders who are qualified as they would be in technocracy. Otherwise, technocracy is not that far removed from the ideal of philosopher kings, which I also disagree with. To give you an idea, China is probably the most technocratic nation in the world right now.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 46