Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cloth industry size and use.  (Read 1610 times)

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cloth industry size and use.
« on: November 03, 2013, 06:58:06 am »

Hey, I have a few beginner question.

I have a stable fort with around 75-85 dwarfs (limited for the time being with LNP) but I'm having trouble dimensioning my cloth industry and had therefore at times had to rely on invaders cloth to avoid dead-by-no-cloth.

I grow pig tails in 4 x 3x3 fields and have a small heard of sheep and llamas for wool, + a few horses to slaughter ones in a while.
I have also recently removed my hospitals chest, to free overstocked goods.

But I have no feeling if that is enough, and how much I will need if I let my fort grow. Any rules of thumbs for this?

Furthermore I will like to know what kind of cloth I need to make for the dwarfs? Do I need to make all or would for instance: Shirt, tunic, coat, vest, trousers, sock and shoes be okay?

In the future I plan to catch a cave spider and create a "web farm" how much more is silk cloth valued compared to plant or wool?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Cloth industry size and use.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 07:00:46 am »

You can import more than enough cloth from any of the 3 caravans to keep your fort fully clothed.
This is a blank sig.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 07:08:55 am »

Yeah, I do that now, but in time I will like to be self sufficient.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 07:13:21 am »

There is little need. One way I keep FPS up is trading away all the useless shit I aquire for cloth.

One captured GCS would give you all you ever need. GCS silk skillfully woven and dyed can produce items worth thousands of dorfbucks, especially if decorated with images, gems or sutdding.

It is impracital to be self sufficient by shearing and weaving - the yields are too low. Pig tails from a 3x3 plot should be more than enough, if you dont mind the low value compared to how much GCS cloth you can import using the trade negotioans.
This is a blank sig.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 07:21:19 am »

Sounds good with the GCS.

What kind of cloth should I be making? All of them or is only a few needed?

madmario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 07:36:05 am »

As far as I know, moods aside, you only need one kind of cloth.  Or you can deck out all your dwarfs in leather and use just a wee bit of cloth solely for health care. I use a bit of each kind because I find it more enjoyable that way to play with many of the game's systems, but that's not necessary. Know that at some point, some moody Dwarf is going to get it in his or her head that silk is needed for some awesome useless idea, so having some on hand tucked away somewhere is not a bad idea.

Also, for clothing, I believe you only need one top, one bottom, and one feet (tunic/dress; trousers/skirt; socks/shoes).  I make others and give my dwarfs both socks and shoes because I think it's nifty, but it's not necessary.

I think it's cool to be self sufficient. It's enjoyable to be self sufficient, and caravans are not always a reliable option--say an evil biome with thrall rain. I've had games where I couldn't get a caravan for years. Also, a GCS is awesome but it may take many years for one to appear, if one does at all, and that's an unreliable gamble.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 09:00:33 am »

your farms should be more than enough to keep up with 80 something dwarfs. I don't think the type of cloth has much effect on how happy they are, so just pig tail fiber cloth is good enough. As mentioned, dorfs really only need 3 pieces of clothing and they're not really picky or gender sensitive. A thong will count as 'lower body wear' as much as trousers do. Things like robes or a toga or the like, while covering most of the body, only count for upper body

Most dorfs only need new clothes every two years or so. One annoying thing is that there is no way to give soldiers priority, so when you start making leather hoods as an additional to the uniform, they'll all get stolen by civvies. On the subject of leather, horses are not efficient for leather, or meat, or much else. Dogs or pigs are more efficient and aren't grazers, turkeys are even better. It should be noted that the game currently doesn't make any distinction between leather, so turkey leather is just as good as horse leather
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 09:31:49 am »

Thank you everyone :)

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 09:53:35 am »

Just one more unrelated question.

My mayor is a Vampire and are locked in his room with a fortification wall to make sure he never get out.

Is this a problem regarding diplomats who will try to contact him?
IE Should I kill him?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 09:54:50 am »

Vampires will only feed on sleeping dwarves. Keep him away from any sleepers and you will be fine.
This is a blank sig.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 10:03:18 am »

My mayor is a Vampire and are locked in his room with a fortification wall to make sure he never get out.

Is this a problem regarding diplomats who will try to contact him?
IE Should I kill him?

He's better off dead, I presume. Diplomats are good to request things, so unless you need absolutely nothing, you better keep him available.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

madmario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 03:09:38 pm »

My mayor is a Vampire . . . .  Is this a problem regarding diplomats who will try to contact him?

Well, if he's locked away, he will never talk to diplomats, which means you can't request goods, declare peace, etc.  Also, people can't complain to the mayor if he's locked away, and they can sometimes get bad thoughts for not being able to find someone to complain to.   These aren't game breakers. If it were my fortress, though, I'd find a colorful way to deal with the vampire, maybe like one of these ways. But that's me.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 03:48:44 pm »

I think I can use him for some cave exploring :)

One more question: How do you drop stuff down in a room. I need something like a bridge but one I'm able to make a stockpile/zone on top of?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 03:59:19 pm »

Use the dump area designation.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 04:12:27 pm »

Use the dump area designation.

Stupid question: how?

And how do I control that only one item, for instance one goblin is placed there?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 05:06:52 pm by Kirkegaard »
Pages: [1] 2