Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cloth industry size and use.  (Read 1611 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Cloth industry size and use.
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 05:47:34 pm »

Just one more unrelated question.

My mayor is a Vampire . . . .  Is this a problem regarding diplomats who will try to contact him?

Well, if he's locked away, he will never talk to diplomats, which means you can't request goods, declare peace, etc.  Also, people can't complain to the mayor if he's locked away, and they can sometimes get bad thoughts for not being able to find someone to complain to.   These aren't game breakers. If it were my fortress, though, I'd find a colorful way to deal with the vampire, maybe like one of these ways. But that's me.

meetings can be conducted through a solid wall, so talking to diplomats and such will happen anyway. Later on this will be taken over by the baron anyway, no problem there. I don't know about comforting dorfs, maybe it works through a wall too.

An important thing though. In the nobles screen you can manually reassign some nobles, among them the mayor. You'll have to reassign him every around election time, so it may be easier to kill him some way. Also important to note is that vampires tend to slow down, so meetings and such will take longer and longer. Not an issue once you have the baron though
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 11:16:19 pm »

Use the dump area designation.

Stupid question: how?

And how do I control that only one item, for instance one goblin is placed there?
Go to the level above his room and dig a path to directly over it.  Channel out a tile into one of the open tiles in his room.  This should leave a hole without a ramp for him to escape through.  On the level above the vamp designate an activity zone (i) right next to the hole you just made.  with the zone selected hit (g) to designate it a garbage area.  Now any items you designate for dumping will be brought to this spot, the dwarves will see an ajacent hole and dump the item down the hole.  Hopefuly you left more than 1 spot inside his room otherwise your vamp may get a headache.   After the items have been dumped in for your vampires use make sure you reclaim the items so he will pick them up and use them as needed.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 05:02:42 am »

Thanks that works for most uses, but what if I have a caged goblin that I would like to release from the cage and dump throu the hole?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 06:32:51 am »

If the goblin is an item, i.e. a goblin corpse, dumping works fine. If the goblin's alive, it's not an item but a creature and can only be dumped by declaring a pit zone 'i-p' and assigning the goblin to it (via 'P' while inside the zone). A pit must be declared over an open hole, but the zone definition can be added to an extant zone which already contains a hole - e.g. a garbage zone painted so that the hole's included.

Pits should be declared over open space with no ramps directly below, and it's a good idea to put a hatch cover over the pit, to prevent citizens from being disturbed by creatures in the pit. You can even 'forbid' the hatch, dwarfs are still able to stuff goblins through it.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 07:44:31 am »

To mass dump things, first set a dump zone with i, then once back to no menus open press d>b>d. This will allow you to designate a whole area of items by pressing enter, then drawing a box around the items with the arrow keys, and then enter again. Every item in the area will be designated for dumping. Once a dwarf with refuse hauling takes the job to dump the item, he will bring it to the dump zone. A minor yet very useful exploit is to make a one square dump zone. Dwarves will pile an unlimited amount of items in that square. For example, a use for this would be to dump all the stone in a recently excavated area directly in a room with your mason, stonecrafter, and mechanics workshop in it.

In addition, if your bookkeeper has an accurate count of the items in the fort, you can mass dump through the stockpile screen. This can be useful if you want to drop all the animal remains outside to rot away without making miasma.

Do remember that all items that have been dumped are automatically flagged as forbidden until you reclaim them. You can do this with d>b>c similar to mass dumping. D>b>f is mass forbid, and is useful to keep things you don't want a dwarf to touch from being messed with. A good example of this is dead dwarves clothing in the event of a catastrophe (like being slain by a rampaging forgotten beast that you will be walling inside the caverns.)
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

jhoson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 11:12:31 am »

If you use Dwarf Hack, the Cleanowned command is really usefull

cleanowned scattered : confiscated and dump all items scattered on the floor

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2013, 03:37:04 pm »

A few more questions:

1) Is it possible to control the dwarfs clothing, so they for instance will keep a piece of cloth on until it is "X". It seem to me like they right now will run and get a new one, as soon as it hit "x"

2) Is it possible to control the depots so all the X-ones do not get mixed up with the new ones?

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2013, 08:30:21 pm »

1. No

2. Yes, with a little bit of work.  Make sure your stockpile for new clothes is linked to the workshop and takes from links only.  Also make sure that there are no bins allowed because of a bug.   Next, edit your refuse pile to also accept clothing.

Dwarves will take new clothes from the clothier stockpile.  Their discarded clothes will lay on the ground until the ownership flag clears at which point they will be taken to the refuse pile where they will rapidly decay away.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 02:30:22 pm by Finn »
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2013, 02:02:57 pm »

About the vampire;
You can just appoint a new mayor and keep him locked away. That way in case you get overcome but some outside force and kills everything/everyone in your fort, they will never be able to get to him so you can just get migrants as long as he is alive. He doesn't need to eat or drink and he is immortal so technically speaking you have an invincible fort.
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?
Pages: 1 [2]