Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 37

Author Topic: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational than reality.  (Read 48756 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational then reality.
« Reply #135 on: November 23, 2013, 10:00:03 pm »

Brian looks out into the cold.  He can see a fair amount of the city from here, but nothing looks amiss.  No meteors, no fires, no screams of terror, nothing that would indicate the end of the world.  If he didn't still have that gnawing sense of certainty, he'd say it was all a dream, still.

He had little purpose in life already- why did he know and no one else?  What was the point in all of this?  Why him?

He stares out a bit longer and sighs, hopping into his car.  He'd at least drive by a hospital and see what is going on.

Drive to the nearest hospital and see what is going on.

[By the way, if you think this might put me in contact with the others, I'm willing to be put in stasis until they catch up with me, since I'm at this point very far ahead.]
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 24, 2013, 05:10:08 pm »

The man's eyes narrow.

"Listen you. I've got calls coming in from hospitals, urgent care clinics, doctor's offices and fucking nurses stations in schools. What Hubard did" He jerks his hand back toward the the hall with your old room, "Is happening all around the damn city. And we have no idea why. So you suck it up and you tell me what the fuck it is you saw; because if we don't stop this, they're all gonna shut down. There isn't gonna be healthcare in this city. You know how many people are gonna die because of that?"

"Dude, calm down, I can't help all the docs went stark ravin' mad. I'll talk, I'll talk

So, I was sleeping last night when I had this horrible nightmare, the kind that makes you reeling with terror the second you wake up. It was something about..."

Shit, can't tell him that, he'll think I'm crazy. Gotta act cool.

"... About my mother-in-law moving in with me or something. Anyways, a nurse came to check on me later, you can probably verify that. Point is, I wasn't really able to get back to sleep after that, which probably saved my life. Some time later, I heard stumbling, struggling too, from the chambers next to mine. Then Hubard comes into my room, tries to inject me with something. His eyes man, really creepy, like he was possessed or something. So I throw my blanket over him and start runnin', make a ruckus and get the nurse to lock the door behind us. He tried to bash through with a body of one of his victims, after which I convinced her to call for help. And so, here we are.

Now, anything else?"

« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 05:14:39 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #137 on: November 26, 2013, 01:33:46 am »

(( Sorry, keep getting delayed XD
That, and sometimes my email notifications fail me... Or get lost. Ah well.
And I would expect nothing less, Pyro :P ))

Thomas shrugs for a moment and turns back to the desk.

Perhaps I don't know you. I certainly don't know what's going on, but I aim to find out. You're the one who mentioned a dream when I said some words. I only extrapolated from there, assuming that if you've had a similar dream to mine, then those words are haunting you, tickling at the back of your mind while you try and make it through the day. That's not normal for dreams. And this isn't normal for hospitals.

Thomas grabs a pen and a business card from the receptionist and scribbles his cell number, followed by "The End is Near" on the back

I've run out of options here for now. I'm not part of this hospital anymore, they won't let me in. At least not now. If they're still open tomorrow, they might be desperate enough. But something is happening here. If you are going to remain here today, watch for it. If you survive and learn something, give me a call.

He pockets the pen and pushes the business card across the desk to the doctor.

I just want to help. One last time. Luck be with you.

He bows slightly to the doctor, and then heads for the exit
As always, pause briefly if conversation :P

You bow slightly to this random guy you just met and then walk out the door of the hospital, trying to look somewhat dignified, for a homeless man in a cheap suit at least. The question that comes to mind, as you wander out onto the cold street, is "now what?"

Well you know what, I know a bad situation when I see one. I'm outta here.

Pack up my personal possessions and all the food and water.
When you say personal possessions, does that mean literally everything that is yours in the apartment, or just the essentials like food, clothing, valuables, etc? Because your car isn't gonna hold that couch or bed or anything like that.

Brian looks out into the cold.  He can see a fair amount of the city from here, but nothing looks amiss.  No meteors, no fires, no screams of terror, nothing that would indicate the end of the world.  If he didn't still have that gnawing sense of certainty, he'd say it was all a dream, still.

He had little purpose in life already- why did he know and no one else?  What was the point in all of this?  Why him?

He stares out a bit longer and sighs, hopping into his car.  He'd at least drive by a hospital and see what is going on.

Drive to the nearest hospital and see what is going on.

[By the way, if you think this might put me in contact with the others, I'm willing to be put in stasis until they catch up with me, since I'm at this point very far ahead.]
I doubt they'll be their till as late as you are, for reasons that will become obvious quickly.

You drive south, over into the city proper, until you reach the area near the hospital. You park on the street and walk over toward the entrance to the hospital, but find the way blocked. Police cars have been parked in front of the entrances to the parking garage and every turn in accessible to the street. You can see several police officers clustered around the main entrance to the building, a group of black figures lit by the light from inside the building and swimming through a fog of their own warm breath. Despite the lights on near the entrance, the building appears to be completely shutdown.

The man's eyes narrow.

"Listen you. I've got calls coming in from hospitals, urgent care clinics, doctor's offices and fucking nurses stations in schools. What Hubard did" He jerks his hand back toward the the hall with your old room, "Is happening all around the damn city. And we have no idea why. So you suck it up and you tell me what the fuck it is you saw; because if we don't stop this, they're all gonna shut down. There isn't gonna be healthcare in this city. You know how many people are gonna die because of that?"

"Dude, calm down, I can't help all the docs went stark ravin' mad. I'll talk, I'll talk

So, I was sleeping last night when I had this horrible nightmare, the kind that makes you reeling with terror the second you wake up. It was something about..."

Shit, can't tell him that, he'll think I'm crazy. Gotta act cool.

"... About my mother-in-law moving in with me or something. Anyways, a nurse came to check on me later, you can probably verify that. Point is, I wasn't really able to get back to sleep after that, which probably saved my life. Some time later, I heard stumbling, struggling too, from the chambers next to mine. Then Hubard comes into my room, tries to inject me with something. His eyes man, really creepy, like he was possessed or something. So I throw my blanket over him and start runnin', make a ruckus and get the nurse to lock the door behind us. He tried to bash through with a body of one of his victims, after which I convinced her to call for help. And so, here we are.

Now, anything else?"

"Did he say anything? Or act intoxicated? Any more details about his actions or appearance?"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2013, 01:37:13 am »

Just the essentials, as well as all the food and water in the place.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 26, 2013, 09:29:47 am »

How do you shut down a hospital?  Aren't they supposed to stay up no matter what, with generators and whatever?

Wander toward the blockade line.  If anyone who looks knowledgeable is nearby, ask them what is going on.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2013, 04:59:14 pm »

"Did he say anything? Or act intoxicated? Any more details about his actions or appearance?"

"I told you man, looked like a man possessed. Real creepy. Didn't say anything I think, maybe some grumbling noises though. I'm not sure what he did to the other patients, but I'm guessing he got most of them i their sleep with that syringe of him. Like he tried to get as many of us as he could, y'know. Beyond that though, nothing comes to mind about the guy.

Say, quick question now: how long you guys intent on keeping me here? Cause there's no way in hell I'm staying another night in this nuthouse. If this is really happening to people all over town, then I ain't sticking 'round waiting to get syringed in the neck, y'know. I told you everything I know, can't do anything else for you."

Talk.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2013, 12:02:59 am »

Just the essentials, as well as all the food and water in the place.
You start packing your clothing and a few essentials, throwing most of it into garbage bags since you don't have boxes around. You drag these garbage bags, two at a time, out into the hall and down to the parking garage via the apartment's elevator. The front door man, who knows you only as a fairly quiet and non-sociable fellow, eyes you with curious suspicion as you drag the contents of your apartment out in several garbage bags. In your pajamas.

It's getting near 1 pm by the time you finally finish carrying everything downstairs, and you lean against a wall of the parking garage, hot and sweaty despite the cold, mentally checking through the list of things you need to bring. You've got clothing, food, water, a flash light, some extra batteries, a few books, a kitchen knife for cutting things, should you need to...What else? You look at your motorcycle, covered in trash bags held on by bungee cords. Not a lot of room for anything else regardless. Your feet are going numb on the cold blacktop.

How do you shut down a hospital?  Aren't they supposed to stay up no matter what, with generators and whatever?

Wander toward the blockade line.  If anyone who looks knowledgeable is nearby, ask them what is going on.

You walk toward the front doors of the hospital, shivering in the cold. You're about half way there before one of the cops standing around by the door notices you. He says something to the others that you can't hear and then walks over and intercepts you.

"I'm sorry, but the hospital is closed. I'm going to have to ask you to leave." he says it in a way that isn't harsh, but is none the less firm. He also eyes the box of pie you're carrying with a face that is hard to pin down. Somewhere between suspicion and incredulity.

"I told you man, looked like a man possessed. Real creepy. Didn't say anything I think, maybe some grumbling noises though. I'm not sure what he did to the other patients, but I'm guessing he got most of them i their sleep with that syringe of him. Like he tried to get as many of us as he could, y'know. Beyond that though, nothing comes to mind about the guy.

Say, quick question now: how long you guys intent on keeping me here? Cause there's no way in hell I'm staying another night in this nuthouse. If this is really happening to people all over town, then I ain't sticking 'round waiting to get syringed in the neck, y'know. I told you everything I know, can't do anything else for you."

Talk.
The man looks grim as he picks his tape recorder back up and flips it off, not looking at you while he replies.

"Depends on what the people here say more then me. As long was we have an address to reach you at, I don't care where you go. Just make sure to leave contact info with the people here."

The man walks to the door and it opens before he gets there, a nurse and an orderly walking into the room as the detective leaves. They look fairly intent on taking you somewhere; probably to a new room for you to rot away in for a few more hours. You get the feeling that it might be a good time to demand your freedom; better now then when you've already been locked in a room.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2013, 01:15:19 am »

First of all, get dressed. And get some shoes on.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 03:38:43 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2013, 09:10:20 am »

((We must be insane if I brought the pie with me.  Oh well!))

Brian notices where the cop's eye went.  Worth a shot.  "Oh, do you want some?  It's probably more than I can eat."

[Regardless of answer]

He nods.  "So how do you close a hospital anyway?  I thought they had backup generators and whatever and could stay open through anything."

Offer pie.  Solicit information.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2013, 09:46:18 am »

The man looks grim as he picks his tape recorder back up and flips it off, not looking at you while he replies.

"Depends on what the people here say more then me. As long was we have an address to reach you at, I don't care where you go. Just make sure to leave contact info with the people here."

The man walks to the door and it opens before he gets there, a nurse and an orderly walking into the room as the detective leaves. They look fairly intent on taking you somewhere; probably to a new room for you to rot away in for a few more hours. You get the feeling that it might be a good time to demand your freedom; better now then when you've already been locked in a room.

"Hey, before you guys take me wherever, I wanna say I'm leaving today. I'm here on my own free will anyway, and the inspector told me I was free to leave. I'm really not keen on spending another night here, what with the doctors goin' crazy and stuff. So I'll just quickly pack my stuff and be on my way if that's alright."

Back down from the nurse, make it clear I don't want to go with them.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2013, 11:48:54 pm »

Samuel blinked as the man left, the card still left on the table.

He's mad.
Mad and half-correct.

He continues to patiently wait for information as to whether the situation in the GP offices is clear.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 28, 2013, 01:49:49 pm »

(( Yaaaay distractions! Was also vaguely waiting to see if Pyro would respond :P ))

Back out in the cold for now... supplies. Going to need supplies, even if I end up stuck in this van.

Back to the van, grab the prepaid phone and make sure it still has power. Assess how much room I have in my van for supplies, and how much ramen I still have.

Then head to a big-box type store, gather up and get a price check on 4 weeks of non-perishable food and water, a thermal blanket, and a small camp stove and a similar size pan. Oh, and duct tape. Always need more duct tape.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #147 on: November 28, 2013, 03:17:01 pm »

First of all, get dressed. And get some shoes on.
You dig some clothes out of one of the sacks and put them on, right there in the parking garage. Luckily its deserted in the middle of the day, so no one is around to question your rather strange choice of where to disrobe. You get dressed in a long sleeve shirt, jacket, jeans and a pair of boots; a good rugged set of clothing that should provide a modest degree of protection from the cold and injury.

((We must be insane if I brought the pie with me.  Oh well!))

Brian notices where the cop's eye went.  Worth a shot.  "Oh, do you want some?  It's probably more than I can eat."

[Regardless of answer]

He nods.  "So how do you close a hospital anyway?  I thought they had backup generators and whatever and could stay open through anything."

Offer pie.  Solicit information.

The man shakes his head to your offering of pie.

"You haven't been watching the news recently huh? The building is under quarantine, some sort of mass hysteria effecting the doctors. We're not sure what the cause is, but we're shutting down the building, just in case. Besides, not like there would be any doctors in there if it was open."

"Hey, before you guys take me wherever, I wanna say I'm leaving today. I'm here on my own free will anyway, and the inspector told me I was free to leave. I'm really not keen on spending another night here, what with the doctors goin' crazy and stuff. So I'll just quickly pack my stuff and be on my way if that's alright."

Back down from the nurse, make it clear I don't want to go with them.

The nurse looks rather unsure of how to respond to you. She looks to the orderly, but he has nothing to contribute other then a shrug.

"I'll have to ask the director." She says finally, and leaves along with her white shirted goon.

They return a few minutes later, looking slightly deflated.

"You're free to go, if you want, but the director wants you to leave a forwarding address and to check in with us once you've reached it. The things you gave us when you checked in are still in the lockup, you can get them back on your way out. Follow me."

She waits by the door, obviously a bit impatient and not terribly happy about this situation. You get the vague feeling her talk with the director wasn't a pleasant one.

Samuel blinked as the man left, the card still left on the table.

He's mad.
Mad and half-correct.

He continues to patiently wait for information as to whether the situation in the GP offices is clear.

You wait for several minutes...and then several more. Thirty minutes pass as you wait for the all clear, for the message that you can return to your office. It never comes. The few security guards you see are all heading up to other places. Eventually, none more are to be seen, and none of those who left have come back. Then the police start coming, first a pair, then several. You hear shooting somewhere upstairs and everyone in the lobby, nurses and patients who had been quietly and nervously whispering to on another, goes quiet. They stare up at the ceiling, as though trying to see through it, to look upon what is causing their heart to beat in their throat.

(( Yaaaay distractions! Was also vaguely waiting to see if Pyro would respond :P ))

Back out in the cold for now... supplies. Going to need supplies, even if I end up stuck in this van.

Back to the van, grab the prepaid phone and make sure it still has power. Assess how much room I have in my van for supplies, and how much ramen I still have.

Then head to a big-box type store, gather up and get a price check on 4 weeks of non-perishable food and water, a thermal blanket, and a small camp stove and a similar size pan. Oh, and duct tape. Always need more duct tape.

You walk out to your van and check your phone. It's at about half battery, but still has more then enough power to run out the few minutes you have left. You sit down atop your adhoc bed and look around the interior of the van. You figure you could fit a good deal of stuff in here, if you were careful about how you packed it, even more if you moved your bed up to the front seats and slept across them. Though that would be pretty damn uncomfortable. You count through the cardboard pallet of ramen you have in the corner. You've got 12 left. Not a lot, if you eat three meals a day. Hm.

You climb up into the drivers seat and take off, getting on the freeway for a short drive over the Northern Bridge and into the commercial section of town. You drive around for a while until you come across an S-mart, relatively deserted in the early hours of the morning. You grab a cart and meander around the quiet aisles, loading it with non-perishable food and water, a thermal blanket, a camp stove and pan, and a few rolls of duct tape. You make a quick mental checklist of the prices of everything you bought. It's about 350 dollars, you reckon.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 28, 2013, 08:32:45 pm »

"Where did all the doctors go?  Were any unaffected?  Is it contagious?"

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 29, 2013, 04:10:44 pm »

(( And that, my dear Toaster, is the right question. To get PW to lead you right into a temporal paradox and cease existing :P
Seriously, great question, but it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up making you suspended, since you're a ways downstream from Pyro, who's still at the hospital.))

Steep... but money spent now is supplies I'll have later. Not sure how true that will be in a week. Or even a day.

Let's see, what else... right, what I went to the hospital to try and get access to...

Assess whether my current pile of supplies would fit comfortably in the van, head over to the pharmacy section and take a look at what sort of first-aid kits and other medical supplies they have. Interested in a general first aid kit, some splinting material, and sterile scalpels. Throw a bottle of pain killers in the cart as well, get new total.

Remember how to buy more pre-paid time with this phone :P

(( SPEND ALL THE MONEY! ))
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 37