Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37

Author Topic: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational than reality.  (Read 48665 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: THE END IS NEAR : Philosophical Rage Edition.
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2013, 08:38:35 pm »

((It is tingly in a vague sort of way.))

Get a milk thing, some bread, a few fruits of varying variety, several bottles of water, and a large amount of granola and/or protein bars.
Oh, and a cereal box.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You load up a basket with food, carrying the case of water on your shoulder. The clerk continues to give you a strange look as you pay with your card, but you don't really care. You walk home, shivering,tired and thirsty now, thanks to the walk home with a case of water and a near freezing windchill.

You get back home and store your modest haul of food in the kitchen.

Well, not his kind of place.  But this is what he came here for, right?

Brian wasn't completely unfamiliar with guns- his father had instructed him in the basics of shooting, taking him to an outdoor range a few times.  He had never owned one, though.

He looked at the wares for a little bit before approaching the shopkeeper.

"Morning.  I'm looking for a reliable pistol for home defense.  Got any suggestions?"

Ask.

"Well, standard is the Glock or the Sig 226. Reliable police and army weapons. Good magazine size, easy to use; combine with hollow points for extra damage against soft targets and to insure you don't have problems with bouncing or punching through walls. If you wanna scare'em though, and put a big fucking hole in them, revolvers are good. Reload is a problem, obviously, but if you can aim, you shouldn't need to reload, if you catch my drift. Got a good selection of both kinds, hell, even got a Mateba if you're really looking for that special something."

"Just open the door for me. Some doctor snuck into my room and tried to hurt me or something. He looked really weird, like he was in a coma or sleepwalking or something. Please just open the door for me."

Once door open, get on other side and close it behind us. Tell her to go get other staff to help and to call the police.

The woman opens the door and you immediately shoulder in and slam it shut, the automatic locks clicking closed with a metal clink.

"Ward lock one, going to need back up, agitated patient." The nurse says into  a walkie-talkie, looking cautiously at you the whole time. 

"It's alright, just calm down." she says, slowly walking towards you with her hands out. "No one is trying to hurt you."

Wait patiently in the chair to be called, continue observing the world around me for horrible, terrible things.

(( Just got done with a game of Arkham Horror. Could not help but be reminded of what's going on at the hospital and asylum here XD ))

You twiddle your thumbs for 10 minutes, but no one seems to be in any hurry to talk to you. There's a feeling of nervous energy in the HR section, anxious fear about something which no one is speaking of. You hear the name "Livwits" again, and something about another hospital, but nothing specific. They're all talking in hushed tones about something they all already know about. Hm. You doubt you're gonna get anything here but a nap till they remember you and then a hurried response that they'll keep your name on file.

(Arkham horror is a good game. I've got all the expansions.)

Bring the next one in early.

((Sorry Krie, but Sam doesn't leave his office too much. If you want to link our timelines, you're going to need to come to me, or something needs to convince Sam to leave (difficult now he's mildly creeped out).))

The next patient is there for a routine checkup on how he's healing after back surgery. You run the normal battery of tests to make sure he's not suffering from infection, that his stitches are clean and tight and that the wound is closing well. You're about to give him a clean bill of health and the time of his next checkup when you hear something crash down the hall. This hall is filled with exam rooms, one after another. By this point those rooms should be filled with patients waiting for their doctor. It's possible one of them just dropped something or knocked something over. It could be something completely mundane.

You swallow slowly and stare at the door to your room, unsure of what to do.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2013, 10:26:50 pm »

((I'm farthest ahead in time!  I'm winning!

If four of us get killed, will it run as a one on one game, assuming the dead players aren't reanimated into horrible nightmares?))

Brian looked at the options.  He didn't trust his aim enough for a revolver, despite its advantages.  He looked a bit at the two choices, then made his selection.

"You know, I think I like the Sig.  Your suggestion on hollow point's good too, so I'd like to do that."

Buy the Sig, couple extra magazines, and a couple boxes of hollow point ammo.  Check remaining funds in bank.

((I had to look up the Mateba.  That's pretty neat.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2013, 02:43:58 am »

(( Oh god, expansions? Mara must never know, I'll be playing that game til the end of time XD

... except she keeps up on these things better than I do, so I'm sure I'm already doomed in that regard. ))

Thomas considers for a moment whether he knew a Levwits from before he left the hospital. Something seems to have happened to him, and it involved Long Term Care, if the conversation from downstairs is anything to go on... could be nothing, but could be everything. Those words still won't go away... Ah well. They seem busy, and I have more to set in order... but... let's see...

"Hey, you guys seem busy today, so I'll get out of your hair. You have my name on file, I'm sure. Tell Levwits I said 'Hi.' "

If this gets no particular response, wander my way back to the hospital entrance, once again looking and listening.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2013, 04:31:48 am »

(( Oh god, expansions? Mara must never know, I'll be playing that game til the end of time XD

((Oh yes. Like, seven or eight of them.))

"It's okay, I... I'm not crazy or violent. I'll co-operate, I promise. Just, just listen: some doctor just came into the patients room. I heard struggling and screaming in the room next to mine. And then he came at me, trying to use a syringe to inject me with something. I know he was going to hurt me, I swear, so I ran away. He's still in there I think. Just get more people in here, then you'll see. Can you call for more backup?"

Clearly show hands to indicate I'm not going to attack anyone. Check through the window where the murderous doc is. Also see if there is anything in the vicinity that can be picked up and used to defend myself with (don't actually pick it up yet though).

((The game is fun so far, though I'm sure it'll really get interesting once the horror truly gets underway. If only to see what exactly will doom us all.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

nightcrafter27

• Bay Watcher
  • Extrapolator Extrodinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2013, 12:06:24 am »

PTW

This game is extremely fun even from the sidelines. The more descriptive style really lends itself well to the small player count.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2013, 12:58:48 pm »

I'm out of time. Post this evening. Also, where are Xan and pyro? Am I gonna just have to have them spend an hour staring into space?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2013, 01:16:01 pm »

Hargklg. Xantalos got distract. Will post in 4-5 hours.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2013, 01:31:13 pm »

((Or right now because Stalin can wait for his trim.))

Go do that work I mentioned earlier for a few hours. Then check for any unusual occurrences at the local mental facilities. I'm fairly sure that was just a bad dream, but still...
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2013, 07:18:30 pm »

((Yeah, the Mateba does look pretty cool, if somewhat... pointless. Seriously, why not just use a magazine instead of a revolver mechanism? Sure a revolver mechanism is more reliable (less moving parts), but making it semiauto kinda removes that advantage.

The game's going great so far (I love more description), and it's actually progressing a bit faster that I thought it would. Might not be good news for Sam, the skeptic.))

You're good for now.

Samuel informs his patient of the next appointment date and time, and after they've left, looks around a bit outside his office to see if he can see the source of the noise.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2013, 08:32:26 pm »

((Yeah, the Mateba is pretty stupid.  I imagine it's supposed to appeal to people who like revolvers for no good reason, but want something semiauto.  Or just the novelty of having a unique gun.  There's a lot of people like that.

And IMO, the primary advantage of a (double-action) revolver is that it's more reliable.  If a bullet fails to fire for whatever reason, you can just pull the trigger again and the next round will fire.

Oh, and PTW))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2013, 10:03:48 pm »

((If I wanted an unusual weapon like that, I'd get the Judge.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2013, 10:18:29 pm »

((You pull a Taurus Judge, I'll pull a Pfeifer Zeliska .600 Nitro Express.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2013, 10:41:14 pm »

((You pull a Taurus Judge, I'll pull a Pfeifer Zeliska .600 Nitro Express.))
I feel like you're all compensating for something, maybe.

Turn soon.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2013, 01:00:24 am »

((I'm farthest ahead in time!  I'm winning!

If four of us get killed, will it run as a one on one game, assuming the dead players aren't reanimated into horrible nightmares?))

Brian looked at the options.  He didn't trust his aim enough for a revolver, despite its advantages.  He looked a bit at the two choices, then made his selection.

"You know, I think I like the Sig.  Your suggestion on hollow point's good too, so I'd like to do that."

Buy the Sig, couple extra magazines, and a couple boxes of hollow point ammo.  Check remaining funds in bank.

((I had to look up the Mateba.  That's pretty neat.))
(Well, I've got an idea for what dead players will do, once we're far enough along.)
(We're gonna assume you have a permit for the gun, if only because you have the skill for it and I don't want this to turn into a bureaucracy sim.)

You stare at the arrayed merchandise under the counter until finally, you point at the Sig P226 with a black finish. You buy two empty magazines for it and the store throws in a third for free. Next, you choose a big red box of 100 Ranger SXT Hollow point bullets and the clerk, seemingly very much in approval of your particular brand of killing mechanism, throws in a holster for free as well.

You thank the clerk, attach the holster and weapon to your belt, and deposit the magazines and box of rounds in your car before driving a block or two down to an ATM and checking your bank balance. It says you have $1150.00 left.

... except she keeps up on these things better than I do, so I'm sure I'm already doomed in that regard. ))

Thomas considers for a moment whether he knew a Levwits from before he left the hospital. Something seems to have happened to him, and it involved Long Term Care, if the conversation from downstairs is anything to go on... could be nothing, but could be everything. Those words still won't go away... Ah well. They seem busy, and I have more to set in order... but... let's see...

"Hey, you guys seem busy today, so I'll get out of your hair. You have my name on file, I'm sure. Tell Levwits I said 'Hi.' "

If this gets no particular response, wander my way back to the hospital entrance, once again looking and listening.

You don't recall the name...but that was many years and many more bottles before. Who knows. So much of that time is a black hole of blurry half memories, like watching home movies through a lens made of Vaseline.

You stand up and walk toward the door, calling your parting words over your shoulder as you do. The second Livwits' name comes up, you have their attention. The receptionist you talked to shouts after you.

"Did you say you knew a doctor Livwits?"

((Oh yes. Like, seven or eight of them.))

"It's okay, I... I'm not crazy or violent. I'll co-operate, I promise. Just, just listen: some doctor just came into the patients room. I heard struggling and screaming in the room next to mine. And then he came at me, trying to use a syringe to inject me with something. I know he was going to hurt me, I swear, so I ran away. He's still in there I think. Just get more people in here, then you'll see. Can you call for more backup?"

Clearly show hands to indicate I'm not going to attack anyone. Check through the window where the murderous doc is. Also see if there is anything in the vicinity that can be picked up and used to defend myself with (don't actually pick it up yet though).

((The game is fun so far, though I'm sure it'll really get interesting once the horror truly gets underway. If only to see what exactly will doom us all.))

The Nurse is clearly pretty immune to the ravings of patients; she continues her slow advance toward you, all the while cooing quiet agreements. At least until she sees the doctor coming up the hall behind you. She just sort of stops in place and stares over your shoulder. Against your better instincts, you look behind you.

The doctor is walking up the hall, blood still dripping from his nose, dragging a patent by the collar towards the door. Both you and the nurse unconsciously back away as he approaches. For a second, he just stands there, staring through the window with a distant look in his eyes. Then he starts trying to smash the window in using the head of the body he's carrying. 

For some reason, this doesn't scare you. In fact, you feel completely at ease, at one with the world and in control of your destiny. You turn to the nurse.

"This is what I was talking about. The doctor has clearly suffered some sort of psychotic break. I know you're trained not to listen to any sort of outrageous claims by patients, but you can clearly see I was telling the truth. Now, if I were you, I'd call for more nurses and the police as well."

The nurse just nods, slowly and bewilderedly, before getting back on her radio and calling for more help.

((Or right now because Stalin can wait for his trim.))

Go do that work I mentioned earlier for a few hours. Then check for any unusual occurrences at the local mental facilities. I'm fairly sure that was just a bad dream, but still...
You sit on the computer for several hours, throwing a resume around at anyone with a working E-mail. You're not exactly sure you'd want or are qualified for half these jobs, but money is money and you need money. The hell is a "Regional accounts manager of business synergy" anyways?

After a few fruitless hours online you do another quick local news search. The news story most related to what you're searching for is about what the reporter calls a "Series of unexplained and violent incidents occurring at several area hospitals." The details in the article are vague, typical news-speak of hinting but never stating anything explicitly for fear of being sued, at least until the hospital comes out and says it first.

((Yeah, the Mateba does look pretty cool, if somewhat... pointless. Seriously, why not just use a magazine instead of a revolver mechanism? Sure a revolver mechanism is more reliable (less moving parts), but making it semiauto kinda removes that advantage.

The game's going great so far (I love more description), and it's actually progressing a bit faster that I thought it would. Might not be good news for Sam, the skeptic.))

You're good for now.

Samuel informs his patient of the next appointment date and time, and after they've left, looks around a bit outside his office to see if he can see the source of the noise.

You tell your patient when you'll see him again and follow him out, peeking into the hall as he goes. The hall looks empty and quiet but one of the doors is sitting slightly ajar. 

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2013, 03:30:16 am »

(( Welp, I got what I asked for. Now I need to see what I can do with it... tomorrow, because it's midnight and I'd like to go to bed now XD ))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37