Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 57

Author Topic: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP  (Read 115588 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP
« Reply #750 on: November 02, 2013, 10:45:02 pm »

Or just put in an antimagic field in the bow of the ship. So long as it has an effective range to make them fall without them damaging the bottom of the ship and you're safe.
You people do so much of my work for me :D.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 02, 2013, 10:45:58 pm »

And also you lose the ability to use magic in that part of your ship.

Besides the expense involved; I doubt every second or third rate merchant ship will have that. Maybe some first rate ones though. If they thought of it.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: November 02, 2013, 10:53:50 pm »

Depends on the size of the field and ship. A greatship  could easily use a couple of 20ft radius AM fields and be safe, a caravel would use 10ft fields to the same effect.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: November 02, 2013, 11:16:19 pm »

Alternately, I got bored and ran some numbers.  8000 lbf is around 36 kN.  Iron has an average Vickers hardness of 608 MPa, putting out an average deformation under that particular test force of 0.01 mm.  Running shear stress models using the shear stress modulus of 82 GPa (by contrast, wood has a typical stress modulus measured in kPa) and assuming an applied area of around 0.0077 m2 (lowballing with a 1" diameter and a 1' length, since dimensions aren't given) doesn't give much better, with around 0.2mm of deformation for a 1" test length.  So, even some thin iron cladding on the prow alone should also fix the issue just as well, if my maths aren't incorrect.
It's probably a little weird that my first reaction to the issue was to reach for my slide rule...at least I didn't go for my old notes on impact forces and elastic deformations therein.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 11:23:57 pm by Culise »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: November 02, 2013, 11:28:43 pm »

Strike all this; it was made on incorrect assumptions regarding armour.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 12:33:36 am by Grek »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: November 02, 2013, 11:35:00 pm »

To be fair, if you're being shot at by a galley with that many bombards, odds are you REALLY pissed someone off, or team evil is winning handily :P

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: November 02, 2013, 11:38:09 pm »

Caravel carries more cargo, on the other hand.

Also, an adamantine plated pinnace sounds ridiculous(if amazing) and I'm fairly sure would be slowed down significantly.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: November 02, 2013, 11:40:23 pm »

Wouldn't be actually. Adamantine plating would only take 10 tons all up.

Problem is that the cost of said plating would be 20000 gp, since it's per section

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: November 02, 2013, 11:43:16 pm »

Ouch. Yep, that'll make a difference.

What about wooden caravel vs iron pinnace?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: November 02, 2013, 11:44:33 pm »

A default wooden caravel costs 10k, and with additional wooden armoring 14.8k.  An iron pinnace is 8.5k, or too cheap. 

By the bye, viewers should be able to edit that spreadsheet I linked, so feel free to plug in numbers in the green fields indicating quantities.  The only thing to watch out for is that the sheet is only set up to have one ship (Caravel, cog, dhow, or pinnace) and one armor type (so no stacking armor in recursive loops...well, you can, but costs get goofy fast).  Oh, and anything starred is from the 3.0 book Arms and Equipment Guide that Taricus mentioned before in the thread; it will probably require GM review before anything is authorized, and costs may be modified. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 11:47:33 pm by Culise »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: November 03, 2013, 12:33:03 am »

If that armour is per hull section, than I change my vote. Let's get a Caravel.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 03, 2013, 08:44:17 am »

Alternately, I got bored and ran some numbers.  8000 lbf is around 36 kN.  Iron has an average Vickers hardness of 608 MPa, putting out an average deformation under that particular test force of 0.01 mm.  Running shear stress models using the shear stress modulus of 82 GPa (by contrast, wood has a typical stress modulus measured in kPa) and assuming an applied area of around 0.0077 m2 (lowballing with a 1" diameter and a 1' length, since dimensions aren't given) doesn't give much better, with around 0.2mm of deformation for a 1" test length.  So, even some thin iron cladding on the prow alone should also fix the issue just as well, if my maths aren't incorrect.
It's probably a little weird that my first reaction to the issue was to reach for my slide rule...at least I didn't go for my old notes on impact forces and elastic deformations therein.
Alright, so the immovable rod wouldn't be destroyed. Not that magic items can be destroyed by mundane means.
The question has more to do with wood. Would the ship stop, or would the hull break? It depends on speed and hull, and we have no answer.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: November 03, 2013, 09:02:07 am »

So uh, I'm looking at getting my character some armour...
Gloryborn Feycraft Shadow Silk Gnome Twistcloth, with Signature Crest, Keel, Fins and Ysgardian Heartwire additions (the Keel being cloth taking a form much like a Bronze Dragon's fin, using the Fins as the spines).
There are a few things here that are going to need GM ruling, though I've tried to keep it all reasonable enough in both crunch and fluff:
First, AFAICT there's no RAW mention of whether you can use multiple equipment templates together. Many of them are incompatible in terms of the background restrictions they need to take them, but I don't see any conflicts between Ysgardian and Feycraft.
Second, Shadow Silk mentions it can only be applied to cloth or leather, which Gnome Twistcloth certainly is (as is Sharkskin, but I think that might be too specific), but it only gives the prices for the basic core gear, and it's nonstandard, so it would need to be priced by the GM.
Third, "small sections of heartwire mail can be incorporated into chain shirts, chainmail, or heavy armor to reinforce vital areas." It doesn't say exactly this works; I'm picturing some extremely light and fine chain reinforcement, possibly light enough to be sewn into cloth armour, but again that's up to the GM.

Edit: Actually, never mind the Feycraft, a better idea has occured to me on that front. Mmmm, Eberron, you have such wonderful gear...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:08:45 am by Harbingerjm »
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 03, 2013, 12:10:54 pm »

Alright, so the immovable rod wouldn't be destroyed. Not that magic items can be destroyed by mundane means.
The question has more to do with wood. Would the ship stop, or would the hull break? It depends on speed and hull, and we have no answer.
Err, my response had nothing to do with the immovable rod - are they even made out of iron?  My thoughts had to do with the use of iron cladding on the ship's hull to stop the immovable rod from punching through the hull. 

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: November 03, 2013, 12:17:54 pm »

What about with a 1" by 1" area? Would it punch through the iron?

Also, we needs more moneyz, peoplez. I'm donating 7k, over a fifth of my money. You can shell out some, if the scout can.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 57