Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 57

Author Topic: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP  (Read 115682 times)

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP
« Reply #705 on: November 02, 2013, 08:44:40 am »

Uh, Rem?
Hmmm, Remuthra, you mentioned previously that a flaw might be available. I'd quite like to take Master Linguist, but I'm going to need an extra feat to do so. To that end, I'd like to take a flaw: If published stuff only, Frail, or if the homebrew stuff on the wiki works, either Loud or Large Ham.

(Also, just checking you saw this:
Hey, Rem, would it be possible for me to exchange Favoured Enemy (Whatever) for Favoured Environment (Aquatic)?
That seems kind of like taking Favored Enemy (Everything), so nau.
Well, it wouldn't work on the islands, and the bonuses aren't actually the same (Favoured enemy: "The ranger gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures." Favoured environment: "Due to the ranger's experience in that environment, he gains a +2 bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills in that environment. He also gains the same bonus on Knowledge (nature) checks made in association with that environment". No damage boost, as the most obvious change).
)
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 02, 2013, 08:47:48 am »

Uh, Rem?
Hmmm, Remuthra, you mentioned previously that a flaw might be available. I'd quite like to take Master Linguist, but I'm going to need an extra feat to do so. To that end, I'd like to take a flaw: If published stuff only, Frail, or if the homebrew stuff on the wiki works, either Loud or Large Ham.

(Also, just checking you saw this:
Hey, Rem, would it be possible for me to exchange Favoured Enemy (Whatever) for Favoured Environment (Aquatic)?
That seems kind of like taking Favored Enemy (Everything), so nau.
Well, it wouldn't work on the islands, and the bonuses aren't actually the same (Favoured enemy: "The ranger gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures." Favoured environment: "Due to the ranger's experience in that environment, he gains a +2 bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills in that environment. He also gains the same bonus on Knowledge (nature) checks made in association with that environment". No damage boost, as the most obvious change).
)
Yes, I saw it, and flaws are kind of edgy, but if you give me RP reasons I suppose I'll let you have one.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 02, 2013, 09:09:04 am »

RP wise, either Loud or Large Ham fit the character well, since that's the kind of personality I'm going for: a renowned captain, the center of attention, engaging in dramatic high-seas adventure and inspiring his crew with his very presence. Being over 6' tall, with horns, large wings and (when I can afford it) an Admiral’s Bicorne and ideally some sort of Armour of Command variant... well.
Less amusingly, Frail fits the whole "flying creature" thing, given they tend to be less solid than land- or sea-bound creatures.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 02, 2013, 09:56:16 am »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 02, 2013, 10:33:33 am »

Anyone whose sheet isn't in the OP may want to PM the links to Remuthra so he can update the OP with them. And it would probably be a good idea to put a divider in so we know who's in what team as well.

Anyway, on the fortress front, I decided to do two versions, the first being the one we first build to use, and then the final one we upgrade into. This means we can set it up at a reasonable price while still getting everything we wanted. Though there's an initial price limit of 3000 gp per component for the initial one.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 02, 2013, 10:42:19 am »

Dwarmin. I can fly, and have a better spot modifier than you, without even going into magic item boosts. I think we got it.

Yeah, everyone does everything better than me. :P

I really hope the game starts soon-all this planning is sort of disconnecting me from the game, since by my nature and character choices I don't really have a say in any of it.

Yeah. I can see how some people might not like this OOC planning thread. Anybody object to me starting a 'Team Dishonorable' OOC an dplanning thread so that people who don't want to read our scheming don't have too?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 02, 2013, 10:58:54 am »

Anyone whose sheet isn't in the OP may want to PM the links to Remuthra so he can update the OP with them. And it would probably be a good idea to put a divider in so we know who's in what team as well.

Anyway, on the fortress front, I decided to do two versions, the first being the one we first build to use, and then the final one we upgrade into. This means we can set it up at a reasonable price while still getting everything we wanted. Though there's an initial price limit of 3000 gp per component for the initial one.
Make sure to indicate which side of that divider you want.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 02, 2013, 11:00:06 am »

Kre!aqil was on the Dishonorable side, last I checked.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: November 02, 2013, 11:48:26 am »

No objections, if Remuthra links it into the OP so any potential recruits know where to go if they want to be the sorts that pillages and plunders.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: November 02, 2013, 12:05:17 pm »

-snip-
Considering that a cannon-ball has more force...I'm fairly certain we can wreck a ship, or at least cripple it, pretty damned easy. Over and over again, too.
It can, but it wouldn't be efficient. Especially since the rods are kinda stationary.
Although I'd like to see you try to take on Kre!aqil in an underwater fight. Ten gold says he can hold his breath longer than you.
Reusable, over and over again. I can just dive in real quick ahead of the ship, set them, let them wreck it(good luck turning fast enough) then get them again once we've looted the bastards(in the name of Bahamut, of course, or whatever this setting's version of him is). If we're lucky, the immovable rods will even keep it from sinking long enough for us to grab all the gold. Or, you know, we can dive down ourselves what with magic and all to get it.
It's also what makes Warlocks more broken at level 12 than Wizards are at level 20. UMD check to pretend to have the spells to craft anything(DC 15+spell for arcane, 25+spell level dor divine). They can take ten. Oh, yeah, and UMD boosting magic items. So, yeah. +15 from skill ranks alone means you can get epic level arcane spells from the get-go on scrolls. Another +4 or +5 easily from Charisma, maybe a few more minor bonuses from Skill Focus (Use Magic Device) or synergy, etc., and most divine spells are easy. Now you have the Chalice of Aura Impersonation, which gives a +10 to UMD checks. And is completely made up, but nonetheless. So now you get to cast 20th+ level arcane spells and 15th+ divine spells, from scrolls. Or hell, sell 'em. Huge profit in making god-level power fit on a tiny parchment.
You can't just make up magic items. And I'm 90% certain that UMD clearly states magic items don't help.
Anyways...epic scrolls? That's an awfully high XP-cost-per-encounter. Anyone spending that much might as well be allowed to, he's going to be dropping into the negative levels if he keeps that up.
You certainly can. Whole section in the DMG for it. It'd cost 10,000 gold pieces for a +10 to UMD checks. He can make it, if nothing else.
And UMD states nowhere that magic items can't give you a bonus to it.
And yes, there's going to be a decently high EXP cost, but nothing like what you seem to think. Luckily for Warlocks everywhere, minimum caster level for epic spells is merely 21, and spell level is only ever considered 10th. So all you need as a warlock is +15 to UMD and you can get Epic spells, since none of them are specifically divine. +24 and you can get any and all divine spells to boot. To cost it might be a different matter, since it has a 41 DC for scrolls to cast epic spells(or possibly 32, if you go with the idea that the warlock is only caster level 12). But, that's fixed easily enough.

Also, the price of a single epic scroll to make is a measly 2575 gold pieces, and 206 experience points. 21x10x25=5150. 5150/2=2575. 5150/25=206 experience points. And you need but one scroll to finish an encounter, in most cases. At level 12, that's a minor price to pay.

Plus, hire a bunch of commoners, give them half decent weapons, give them a potion and tell them it will make them super-strong and skilled and they can keep a quarter of the dragon's treasure for themselves. Tell them to drink it only once you've left(bullshit a reason; you'll beat their sense motive check easy). It turns out to be a potion of Lord of Nightmares. Best part is, they'll probably even survive, if the dragon doesn't. And the dream larva doesn't suspend himself over lava or something.

Edit: I'd like to see Kre!aqil take me on in an aerial fight. 10 gold pieces says I can fly faster than you.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 12:07:46 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: November 02, 2013, 12:46:15 pm »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: November 02, 2013, 01:20:19 pm »

Reusable, over and over again. I can just dive in real quick ahead of the ship, set them, let them wreck it(good luck turning fast enough) then get them again once we've looted the bastards(in the name of Bahamut, of course, or whatever this setting's version of him is). If we're lucky, the immovable rods will even keep it from sinking long enough for us to grab all the gold. Or, you know, we can dive down ourselves what with magic and all to get it.
The immovable rod would punch through the hull (if the ship was moving fast enough), but it would be a small hole and take a while to set up. Overall, it's probably not worth the effort and cost to not just shoot them with cannons.

You certainly can. Whole section in the DMG for it. It'd cost 10,000 gold pieces for a +10 to UMD checks. He can make it, if nothing else.
The player cannot just make up magic items for his warlock to make. Those rules are for DMs, not players, no matter what their UMD bonus.
And if you wanted to do that, just make an Amulet of True Striking.

And UMD states nowhere that magic items can't give you a bonus to it.
Hm, could have sworn it did.

And yes, there's going to be a decently high EXP cost, but nothing like what you seem to think. Luckily for Warlocks everywhere, minimum caster level for epic spells is merely 21, and spell level is only ever considered 10th. So all you need as a warlock is +15 to UMD and you can get Epic spells, since none of them are specifically divine. +24 and you can get any and all divine spells to boot. To cost it might be a different matter, since it has a 41 DC for scrolls to cast epic spells(or possibly 32, if you go with the idea that the warlock is only caster level 12). But, that's fixed easily enough.
Scrolls cost 25 gold per caster level per spell level. Assume that the GM goes by the RAW and lets you make a scroll, counting the spell as 10th level and castable at CL 21 rather than setting higher numbers or laughing in your face at the attempted cheese. That is still 25*21*10 or 5,250 gp per scroll. This breaks down to 2675 gp and...huh, I remembered the XP costs beind higher, 210 XP. (Noticed afterwards that you calculated it. Incorrectly.) Assuming a level-equivalent encounter at level 12 with four people and only one scroll for each, the warlock is throwing away close to a third of his XP just to cast epic-level spells. In addition, the treasure doled out is typically around 9800 gold; divide by four, and the warlock only gets 2450 gold. He's spending more treasure than he's getting on this tactic!
Come Level 15, and these encounters cost "merely" a fifth of his XP and half of his treasure. Level 20? He's still spending a seventh of his XP and a quarter of his treasure. A quarter of his Level 20 treasure! That's nearly the price of a +5 vorpal axe or a Ring of Elemental Command, greater than an Iron Flask or one of those +5 Ability books. And assuming he used one such scroll per encounter, 13 encounters per level, he would have spent nearly 22,000 XP, over a tenth of his total. This ain't cheap.

Plus, hire a bunch of commoners, give them half decent weapons, give them a potion and tell them it will make them super-strong and skilled and they can keep a quarter of the dragon's treasure for themselves. Tell them to drink it only once you've left(bullshit a reason; you'll beat their sense motive check easy). It turns out to be a potion of Lord of Nightmares. Best part is, they'll probably even survive, if the dragon doesn't. And the dream larva doesn't suspend himself over lava or something.
Several problems with this, starting with the fact that potions can't be made with higher than 3rd level spells.

Edit: I'd like to see Kre!aqil take me on in an aerial fight. 10 gold pieces says I can fly faster than you.
10 gold says that it doesn't matter, because A. water provides cover and B. your scenario involves swimming around underwater, not flying 15 feet above it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: November 02, 2013, 01:27:38 pm »

Oi you two, pants back on now.  >:(

Was thinking of starting with a hireling or two, depending on the level they'd start at and whatnot, along with the stat allocation...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: November 02, 2013, 01:45:28 pm »

Sig

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: November 02, 2013, 02:14:44 pm »

>.>

I will cease arguing, but I do disagree with several of those(I did do calculations wrong, but it wasn't by much).
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 57