Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 57

Author Topic: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP  (Read 115959 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP
« Reply #330 on: October 30, 2013, 06:35:38 pm »

Bwahahaha, that should be a... blast  8)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 30, 2013, 06:47:07 pm »

Just an FYI, I'm probably going to be on the Honorable ship.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 30, 2013, 06:51:14 pm »

Why exactly? Going to be a little hard being evil on a ship with a lot of "Good" folks...

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 30, 2013, 06:57:22 pm »

Why exactly? Going to be a little hard being evil on a ship with a lot of "Good" folks...
A Good-aligned Pirate is probably there to convert people, not to start fights with them.  Besides which, you can be entirely Evil while still maintaining your honour.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 30, 2013, 07:05:13 pm »

It's in my backstory: Torik was raised by bad people, worked for an evil sorcerer and has been a violent criminal for his whole life, but has just recently had a moral epiphany that maybe he shouldn't run around strangling people and robbing houses. And so he is now on a quest to understand the true meaning of kindness and friendship. On a pirate ship.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 30, 2013, 07:33:10 pm »

First of all; my character sheet as it stands right now.

Also, Remuthra, can I request some adjustments to the scout class to better fit the fact that she's aerial rather than land-locked?

I have a question for you guys real quick. Do you think I should stick with a Dragonborn Raptoran, go pure Raptoran(I couldn't find any good templates, really. :\), or go Dragonborn Raptoran with a melee build, possibly with ranger or barbarian levels? I ask primarily because the dexterity penalty from Dragonborn.

Anyone have any good skirmish items? Could I 'make' skirmish items using the pricings that the various sneak attack items have?

Finally, Grek, I did read the aerial movement rules. And I'm fairly sure that's not how they work, at least with gliding; otherwise you wouldn't have a glide speed, you'd just go a certain distance every round. I don't think it has anything to do with stalling, especially since stopping a stall has nothing to do with going half your speed. It has everything to do with making a DC 20 Reflex save. It's not that you 'fall' that far, and therefore get to move a certain distance forward. It's much simpler than that. You move forward a certain distance, you descend a certain distance as well. You can descend faster if you wish. My question was if, since my fly speed(and, logically, my glide speed) is increased from Air Heritage and hopefully from my Fast Movement if Remuthra agrees, I thought my glide rate should be elongated to match, as it was (effectively0) 1/2 my fly speed for 5 feet of descent, so I thought it should be the same, logically. So I asked.

Flight isn't very clear anyway on what you can and cannot do. As we're allowed to take the run action while flying, provided we do so in a straight line, we could theoretically do so while travelling upwards, right? And so I should be able to get, should my fly speed be 80' as I hope it to be, 140' of vertical movement and 80' of horizontal movement from a single run action for a round at a 60 degree angle(80', times 4 for running, divided by 2 for ascending, times sine or cosine to get the numbers). Of course, I also hope that Remuthra allows me to replace some of my class features, one of which will likely be an increase to my flight maneuverability, if I can, which would allow me to go straight up, and 160' in a round. The reason this matters is that until I hit 10 HD, I have a mere 100 rounds of flying per day I can use without becoming fatigued. Speaking of which, I can't fly whilst fatigued so I hope you guys have something that prevents or cures it. Unless there's a magic item that does that that I don't know about. Anyway. Point is, if I can run whilst flying, and if I can glide 40 feet forward for every 5 feet of descent, than a single round of flying upwards will get me a total of 1120 feet forward, or half that if it's 20 feet for every 5 feet of descent. More importantly, it can get me 28 rounds in the air either way. Which means that I can get a total of 2900 rounds of aerial movement, or nearly five hours. If I get Good maneuverability, slightly over five hours, particularly if I can increase my speed. Which is only important for overland travel purposes, really.

EDIT: If Remuthra says no to the scout changes (*tear falls*), then I'll just replace Quick Reconnoiter with Improved Flight.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:37:13 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 30, 2013, 07:47:36 pm »

Sure you can.

Yes, you can add it to your fly speed.

No, because it wouldn't make sense to be able to glide better just because you can flap quicker. You'd need bigger wings for that.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 30, 2013, 07:48:34 pm »

There's a difference between a woodsman's axe, and a war axe. And I'm doing all the book-keeping in relation to our hirelings, so there shouldn't be any forgetting about that.
There's also a difference between a standard claw hammer and a Light Hammer, but there is nobody in the world who is going to get me to agree the claw hammer should do less than 1d4 damage and crit on 20x2, when a wooden Club does 1d6 and crits 20x2 and Unarmed is d3 / 20x2. Similarly, a Hand Axe is d6 / 20x3 and I don't see why it can't do the same wood-chopping work that a hatchet can do.

Finally, let's look at damage vs. hardness. Wood is Hard 5, HP 10/inch. Your Hand Axe is only going to damage the wood 1 hit in 6, and when it does there'll only be 1 damage. Which means it takes 60 rounds (6 minutes) to chop through 1 inch of wood with a hatchet. A Battle Axe does d8, meaning on average every 8 hits will deal 6 damage, meaning you need about 13-14 rounds (about 1.4 minutes) to chop through the same inch of wood. Attack roll doesn't matter because the sailor can just spend the full round action to set himself and whack the inanimate object with a single attack per round for a melee auto-hit.

Of course, you make exactly the same progress chopping down a tree with a battle axe as you do with a flail.

And a camel (bite d4+2) can chew through a tree pretty quickly if it were so inclined, causing 1 hp per 4 rounds, or 40 rounds (4 min) per inch. A wolf (bite d6+1) does 3 hp per 6 rounds, taking about 20 rounds (2 min) per inch.

Spoiler: a wolf eats a cottage (click to show/hide)

And the wolf would bite through a Strong Door in 4 minutes, so basically what I'm saying is in 3E your babies are already devoured.

And, of course, if you take an inch-thick paper panel and punch it, you have a 66% chance of blasting the whole panel into smithereens. If you punch a glass block 5' x 5' x 1 foot thick it'll take you about a minute to destroy it completely. Unlike Minecraft you can't punch a tree down - unless you're a 1st level Monk.

TL;DR: 3E requires DM judgment.

But, uh, my point about battle axe = wood chopping axe still makes sense to me.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 30, 2013, 07:51:14 pm »

Gliding is funny. It isn't quite flying, it isn't quite falling, and it doesn't come up quite enough for WotC to make a separate set of rules so you know what the heck is going on.

Anyways, I swear I'm getting around to my character.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 30, 2013, 07:55:31 pm »

A Good-aligned Pirate is probably there to convert people, not to start fights with them.  Besides which, you can be entirely Evil while still maintaining your honour.
Alternately, we could be privateers, or pirate hunters.  The difference is pretty small, after all, but the devil is in the details. ^_^

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 30, 2013, 08:10:20 pm »

It's in my backstory: Torik was raised by bad people, worked for an evil sorcerer and has been a violent criminal for his whole life, but has just recently had a moral epiphany that maybe he shouldn't run around strangling people and robbing houses. And so he is now on a quest to understand the true meaning of kindness and friendship. On a pirate ship.
Well shit, that leaves only three folks on team evil so...

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 30, 2013, 08:16:33 pm »

Evil needs lots of faceless minions plus the upper ranking bad guys. Remember all that loot you're stealing? Buy lots of minions. Build an Armade of Evil.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 30, 2013, 08:16:50 pm »

Well shit, that leaves only three folks on team evil so...
Make it four. I'll join.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 30, 2013, 08:18:56 pm »

Evil needs lots of faceless minions plus the upper ranking bad guys. Remember all that loot you're stealing? Buy lots of minions. Build an Armada of Evil.
Oh yeah, but there need to be atleast a few active players to be fun atleast. Otherwise it gets a little boring with only two people roleplaying at a time

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 30, 2013, 08:24:18 pm »

When Team Evil starts, would they prefer to start at a different, less good-aligned place?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 57