Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: mass immigration  (Read 1810 times)

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
mass immigration
« on: October 26, 2013, 10:21:27 am »

So let me tell you a little story...

So this is my second fortress (I lost my first to a tantrum spiral), and so far everything is going well. Getting started on some metal industry right now.

So I get a message that some immigrants have arrived. Pretty cool, I wanted some more dwarfs. I only had 14, and I could use a few extra hands. So the immigrants arrive, and I take a look at my units list.

Wait a second.... why do I have 6 rangers!? I didn't have any rangers at all!
WHAT THE @#!@# WHY DO I HAVE 44 DWARFS!

So how do I deal with this? I don't have enough beds to deal with 44 dwarfs.. My population increased by over 200% in mere seconds!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: mass immigration
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 10:25:09 am »

take a deep breath, and welcome to dwarf fortress.
First off.
Build those beds.
Hence, chop that wood.
Dig those rooms.
Place those beds.
Build more than one carpenter workshop.
Dig deeper.
Dig faster.
Dig more.
Because next time...the cycle shall continue harder and stronger!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 10:27:26 am »

take a deep breath, and welcome to dwarf fortress.
First off.
Build those beds.
Hence, chop that wood.
Dig those rooms.
Place those beds.
Build more than one carpenter workshop.
Dig deeper.
Dig faster.
Dig more.
Because next time...the cycle shall continue harder and stronger!

aye aye captain

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 10:29:21 am »

to make things easier, you can go in the 'manager' position and 'order' job. Order 40 beds built and the manager will give the order in automatic. No need to keep on piling them up in the carpenter workshop.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 10:32:07 am »

One of my new dwarfen children got a fey mood and took the craftdwarf's workshop.
First strange mood on this fortress... Better go take care of that before he goes batshit insane and kills everyone

He needs bones and yarn cloth

EDIT: The bones won't be a problem as I always keep a few horse skeletons around, but the cloth will be hard to get. I don't have any shearable animals here.

Any way I could obtain yarn cloth?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 10:38:28 am by kahrkunne »

Merari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 10:37:54 am »

What I do is create rooms that can hold ten beds to use as dormitories. The rooms are carved in such a way that each bed stands in its own little two by two niche. When I have time to build other things than those needed for critical resources I can easily turn the dormitory into ten little bedrooms simply by placing doors, with room to add a cabinet and chest.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 10:43:04 am »

pig tails.
Process them.
If you embarked with the default embark, you should have five seeds of those. If you've already planted and obtained them, go on 'process' plants.
Hope he'll like processed pig tail fiber.

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 10:45:13 am »

What I do is create rooms that can hold ten beds to use as dormitories. The rooms are carved in such a way that each bed stands in its own little two by two niche. When I have time to build other things than those needed for critical resources I can easily turn the dormitory into ten little bedrooms simply by placing doors, with room to add a cabinet and chest.

Thanks for the advice. Biggest problem now will be to get the beds in time.
Other than that, I need to get some yarn cloth for this kid or else he'll kill everybody, and I don't have any sheep, alpacas or llamas around. I could try and see if the next trade caravan arrives in time and has some yarn cloth, or is there some other way to obtain it?

EDIT: I just saw the reply about pig tails, I should have some of them yeah (Think I farmed them), I could try that, but he specifically asks for yarn cloth

Also my engraver engraved a masterpiece apperantly.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 10:46:21 am »

Once you have pig tail fiber, turn it into cloth. If he accepts it, good.
Otherwise...well, those the kid tries to kill will need to be bandaged.

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 10:47:54 am »

Not only do I have a kid that's basically a timebomb at this point, I also ran out of booze.

And I think my drinking spot is frozen, because one guy just died of thirst.

EDIT: The booze problem has been fixed by constructing more stills. Apperantly my still went off repeat for some reason (probably ran out of barrels at some point). There's booze again now.

I don't appear to have pigtails. I constructed another farm plot and set it to pigtails, but they can only be made half the year, and I'm not sure they can be farmed right now.

Gotta find the setting on the butcher shop to extract bones from dead horses
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 10:54:26 am by kahrkunne »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 10:49:14 am »

Your still and barrels are already finished?
...build more barrels, let the still run more.

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 10:59:53 am »

one of my beekeepers and one of my hunters have started throwing tantrums  :'(

I don't want the beekeeper to die or go insane, because his name's Mosus, and that's kinda like Moses.

EDIT: my woodcutter has started throwing tantrums too. Interestingly both the woodcutter and the beekeeper where with me before the immigrants came and ruined everything

EDIT2: I'm gonna make some more tables and thrones and then entrust them with gems and place them in the meeting room to keep everyone happy.

EDIT3: Good news, some elves are coming with a caravan. I might be able to buy some cloth from them!

EDIT4: Nope, he does have rope reed fiber cloth though
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:25:39 am by kahrkunne »

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 02:51:55 pm »

I guess I'd post one more update.
I eventually survived. Right now I have like 64 dwarfs, working hard on the metal industry (bit hard since I don't have a sedenmentary layer here). The child with the fey mood eventually went and became a mad stork, however after that I had 2 more children get a secretive mood and make a bone mask and an emu bone buckler.

I've got sleeping quarters all sorted out, too. A mod can lock the topic now.

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 08:02:57 pm »

I get 50 or so immigrants in one wave sometimes, and often it's the first spring wave.
And I often only have 11 before that happens.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 01:02:00 am »

One tip that is useful for general pratice relating to moods, particularly ones you cant fulfill.  Build all your workshops in such a way that you can either seal the room they are in or build a wall around them.  If a dwarf claims a shop and asks for something you just cant provide just wall him in get a slab ready for when he eventualy kicks the bucket and setup a new workshop.   If you really want that workshop back you can always go in and pull his corpse out but you actualy get fewer bad thoughts if nobody ever sees the body.  Either way once sealed in the dwarf is contained so if he goes berserk he cant harm anybody and he cant go and pull that fortress self destruct lever you built if he goes stark raveing mad.   

Speaking of you did remember to build a self destruct lever right?  You cant have a truely dwarfy fortress without some doomsday device setup just in case :p
Pages: [1] 2