Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Schizophrenia, Bipolar and other mental health issues discussion thread  (Read 3269 times)

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile

I have a feeling that some people here on Bay12 might be as much nuts as i am.
I am a clinically diagnosed schizophrenic, of the paranoid type, which means that im a very paranoid and delusional person.

So uhh, i thought, maybe we could discuss our problems in this thread and maybe exchange methods for coping with hallucinations
and such.

People who have a diagnosis other than Schizophrenia or Bipolar, Borderline, whatever, is fine too, as long as it is a diagnosed mental issue.
Relatives of mental patients are welcome too.
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Schizophrenia, Bipolar and other mental health issues discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 12:02:25 am »

I'm pretty sure we would have an absurd percentage of people with aspergers, or some type of high functioning autism. I mean really, it is Dwarf Fortress...

Anyway BPD here. I don't think it is anything too serious, beyond the history of attempted suicide, I mean really not even that bad right?

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 12:38:09 am »

I have ADHD, Tourettes, OCD, Depression, Schizoeffective, Asperger's and PTSD. In hindsight I don't want to talk about any of those things with people on the internet but I just thought I'd make my presence known. If I feel like opening up a bit I will but the last time I talked about my diagnosis online I was chased out of three different internet forums so I'm reluctant to open up again.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 01:33:02 am »

Numerous people suspect I have some variety of Asperger's/HFA/just being "not quite right".

Last psychiatrist I saw said I had PTSD after a 10-minute conversation. That's a good example of why I don't see psychiatrists.

Whatever I have/am, I seem to be relatively well-adjusted these days.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 01:55:32 am »

I've also been diagnosed as a Paranoid Schizophrenic. And by a psychiatrist I trust very much. Though I had another one diagnose me as disorganized instead of paranoid. My therapist also thought I had PTSD like behaviors and asked me and my psychiatrist to look into that, but she doesn't think I actually do have it and I don't personally think I do either.

Other than (Even with that honestly, having someone really close by all the time makes the hallucinations much easier to deal with) that I'm perfectly fine I think.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 02:00:23 am »

OCD represent

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 02:17:48 am »

I've been diagnosed as schizophrenic before; mostly due to the fact that I had waking dreams a majority of my life (exactly as it sounds; I was consciously dreaming while awake; interacting with my imagination like it was another reality; of course, switching by-will (and from there, gaining even more control over it); naturally, I held back since I had enough genre-savviness to know how people would react to my odd behaviors, and instead, learned since an early age how to harness it). I had no real problem with it, mostly due to the fact that I could tell that reality apart from this one (they had flying cars and jetpacks for crying out loud; we don't; not to mention, when you see a floating island or cities so massive, they make New York look like a small town (since those megalopolis also have city-towers/galaxy-scrapers) then yeah... I doubt we're THAT advanced to be that cool). I think others had bigger problems with it than I did because it was a new concept of thinking I was applying (at least, according to others, I was a high-functioning schizophrenic, and it took longer than I initially expected for them to notice (upwards to nearly a decade before anything was done about it, so I had a fair amount of time and experience to get to know my mind well, not to mention, I was pretty skilled in hiding it overall), and they didn't know how stable I really was, despite me constantly reassuring them I had things under control, and even explained it to them clear as day once asked.

As for social-based problems, I think any aspie traits I collected was kudos to people in my past generally being a bunch of dicks, and when I shouldn't have taken things so personally, I did. Fortunately, I've been getting over alot of that lately. Simply put, I'm just done with assuming myself as a prime target for antagonism and bullying; although that still won't stop me from keeping it in mind for infiltrations and saving my own ass (and in some cases, others') with my own social awkwardness. Since I'm already known as a rather shy and awkward individual, and I can play the role so well, why not? I'll keep it as a 'low profile' me to continue my lazy-ass lifestyle. Got a flaw, utilize it to your utmost benefit.

EDIT:
Oh right, I lost count as to how many times many teachers thought I should belong to a 'special' class because of my "disorders". Disorders my ass, according to my post, I was just being lazy through and through. I knew the material well enough, the homework and their teaching methods were just a hassle I would rather sleep through or draw in the middle of class past, not to mention, I knew the crap the gifted kids had to put up with, so I played dumb for a good portion of my educational life so could make friends a bit easier, and not have as much crap to deal with extra-curricularly; if that's not a sign of being (at least street-)smart, I don't know what is. Not to mention, as much of a retard I was assumed to be, because I didn't know how to tie my shoes at the time (I'm not kidding, I was judged by that BS of a test; I come from a large family, so learning how to do so took a bit longer than usual for me.), I was still the fastest reader amongst the class (out loud; and to the point others reading so slowly made me want to slam my head into the desk, and this was since kindergarten), even though my comprehension sucked due to a lack of motivation and interest (only grades that sucked were the classes that bored me to death; the slow-ass readers were also some cause for blame as well).

Considering all of the above, I wonder why acting didn't hold my interest (seeing as I utilized my patheticness to my advantage, hid an alternate reality for at least a decade, and am also a quick learner with means of adapting to crowds rapidly)... Oh right, social bullshit and dealing with people, fans, and politics; not to mention the workloads. Kinda figured that's why I accepted being a loser so well. It seemed to be a current I moved along with more easily, or was more fitting to my brilliant, but lazy personality.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:04:00 am by Itnetlolor »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 02:24:11 am »

My mother's had a long history of panic attacks, and I believe she suffers from paranoia and OCD as well. I say "believe" because she absolutely refuses to see anybody of any description about it. I've tried kicking her in the butt, I've tried being compassionate, I've all but set up appointments without her knowledge, but there's absolutely no helping it. I still try regularly, and she still refuses to budge.

As for myself, I have severe panic attacks once in a while, but not at all to the point I'd call it a disorder. It was years from my first one to the second, and my third was a year and a half after that. I get upset to the point where I can't see and I can hardly walk straight, but this is once in a very great while. Honestly, considering my mother's history, I think I'm very fortunate to have them as rarely as I do.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:27:15 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 03:44:36 am »

i have a self-diagnosed fear of people who are capable of figuring out who i am via my patterns of speech, mannerisms etc. and avoid any questions which are too personal with what constitutes personal being a very broad term or just open the bullshit floodgates at them (fairly good at it too)

can i stay in this here thread because i'm ptwing anyway

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 03:58:40 am »

While I may not have many mental issues beyond about 10 years of repressed emotion (I barely even notice it anymore but it's still there - that'll end well)) and a bit of completionism, I'll PTW anyhow.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 07:33:40 am »

One of the things that hit me hardest is my executive dysfunction, i cant get up in the morning, i cant follow classes and it puts me in a situation where i am getting stressed to death. I actually just felt my heart skip a beat, but that might be a subtle hallucination.

Im medicated by the way, Abilify, does anyone have any experiences with that?
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 08:16:13 am »

I've been on Invega ER 9mcg for going on six and a half years now. It does nothing but give me an irregular heartbeat but I take it because I don't want my psychiatrist to get upset with me because if I have to stop seeing her I might lose my disability benefits. I'm unable to work so I've got to do everything to keep those. in b4 someone tells me to work from home, that's not an option due to the nature of the benefits I get.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 11:05:37 am »

I have the same "not quite right" problem as RedKing. Most people think I'm off in some fashion, a few of of the more informed ones have outright accused me of having an autism spectrum disorder. I have never truly understood what the nature of the disconnect is, and by this point I've stopped caring.

Other than that, I'm psychologically normal. I've never been diagnosed with anything, nor have I ever sought diagnosis. My middle school tried to force me to start taking ADD medication, but that stemmed from a personal hatred between myself and the administrator, and no actual psychological professional was ever involved.

I do wonder why Bay 12 has so many people with disorders, though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 11:50:43 am »

My foot aches a little.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 12:44:34 pm »

I've been diagnosed as bipolar type 2. Take low dosages of SSRI.
I managed to reconcile the different views, which has made the mood swings less severe, but has also made me a bit less sane overall.

When I consecutively get less than 8.5 hours of sleep nightly, I start to hallucinate noticeably. Stress causes significant paranoia. Any combination of stress and sleep deprivation can lead to some weird mood swings. I have no idea what this means, but none of it's severe enough that it can't be dealt with.
Pages: [1] 2 3