Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

King Melbil has arrived with his queen consort. There are also many relatives of the king currently living in the fortress. What should we do?

Kill the king, but leave queen consort and relatives be.
- 0 (0%)
Murder the king and his wife, leave other members of their family alive.
- 0 (0%)
Kill'em all!
- 0 (0%)
Other variant (in comments)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 44

Author Topic: Dorfday: The Heist - The Finale  (Read 70823 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfday: The Heist - Carefully planned regicide (Players are welcome!)
« Reply #525 on: January 29, 2014, 06:09:58 am »

Here's a thought:

make a "dimple" in the wall deep enough to build a Depot, then put a pitted drawbridge in front of it and a couple doors behind it.  Link the bridge and doors to a single lever and suddenly there's a defensible area for a caravan pretty much right on the wall. (Also, if you're gonna wall, wall all around, otherwise, what's the point?)

Throw up a couple archer's towers to either side of that "dimple" and now you basically have a defensible "gatehouse" too.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 30, 2014, 02:25:02 am »

It only covers the right side, of course, so that things can still come in through the left.
But, if I am not mistaken, zombie sieges arrive from all sides.
The wall can't be built on the map edge, so there's a four tiles of space all around it that caravans and zombies can walk through.

OOC:
...I had trouble figuring out which lever did what, and apparently a sneaky thief died right in the door that was supposed to seal off the rest of the fort from the entrance. It seems that one of the levers and bridges aren't connected, but I already forgot which ones.
Most levers and bridges should be labled with (N)otes.  The outermost drawbridge didn't have a lever in the dining room as of my last turn, but I think a lever on the surface will still activate it.
The levers in the dining room are labelled, but the ones that control the outside aren't. I like the dining room, I've never made nonsquare rooms before in my forts.

Here's a thought:

make a "dimple" in the wall deep enough to build a Depot, then put a pitted drawbridge in front of it and a couple doors behind it.  Link the bridge and doors to a single lever and suddenly there's a defensible area for a caravan pretty much right on the wall. (Also, if you're gonna wall, wall all around, otherwise, what's the point?)

Throw up a couple archer's towers to either side of that "dimple" and now you basically have a defensible "gatehouse" too.

If there are two trade depots, will the caravan go for the closest one?
I removed the ramps along the unwalled side and channeled a bit so that the only way in past the map edge of four squares is a particular spot. I guess I could build a tower there instead, and maybe an underground path for archers to get in, or maybe some minecart traps. I've only tried minecart traps a couple of times in other forts and both times they killed more dwarves than enemies, but third time's the charm, right? :3

EDIT: The walls and channeling are actually keeping any enemies from entering the right half of the map, which is now exclusively ours, instead of defending the fort itself from invasion. I guess we could... grow plants there? or trees or something?

SECOND EDIT: I think I turned on the "water trap" by accident. There's a stream flowing down the mountain now... Was it supposed to do something?

THIRDIT: Migrants have arrived! Here's their professions so Evil can pick one.
6 farmers, 6 children, a wood burner, a clothier, a weaver, a miner and a mason.
Is there a way to export to text directly from Dwarf Therapist instead of having to type things out by hand?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 04:01:50 am by Authority2 »
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 30, 2014, 07:30:20 am »

Question: Which of the following have combat skills, that will do well for what I got plan

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 30, 2014, 07:59:16 am »

...Wow. That turned to chaos real fast. How many dwarves do we have now?

I usually make screenshots for that matter. To be honest, I've never used any DF utilities, mods or texture packs. Well, exept of the modded raws.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:00:55 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 30, 2014, 09:18:08 am »

The upper levers have been changed a lot.  Might be safest to test them, then add labels.

Multiple depots can cause issues.  Usually best to just have one.

The dinning room was me.  I try to build a new design in every fort.  Glad you like it :).

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 30, 2014, 05:19:04 pm »

Often I'll use multiple Depots, some with 3-wide access and some with 1-wide.  The 1-wide access only admits caravans w/o wagons and is targeted by invading forces and FB's.  It's one way to help an enemy (or the elves, which are nearly there anyway) to path into your fortress "correctly".
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 30, 2014, 08:00:36 pm »

I think a few levers from an aquifer project are sitting around in random rooms a few levels down.  Probably a good idea to leave those alone.

OT:
I really like the newest version(s) of Therapist that lets you sort dwarfs by strength, agility, teacher, etc... since it makes picking new recruits so much easier.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 30, 2014, 08:33:53 pm »

I think a few levers from an aquifer project are sitting around in random rooms a few levels down.  Probably a good idea to leave those alone.

OT:
I really like the newest version(s) of Therapist that lets you sort dwarfs by strength, agility, teacher, etc... since it makes picking new recruits so much easier.

BWAHAHAHAHA!  Oh my gosh someone actually pulled that lever and canonized it.

One of the levers was from a destroyed bridge and I never got around to relabeling it, so that was just a time bomb waiting to happen.

No, one of them is in the dining room.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 31, 2014, 08:10:24 am »

There's three axedwarves, a speardwarf and a hammerdwarf. All are Competent in their weapon skills and all except the hammerdwarf are Novice in Shield/Armor User and Dodging. The hammerdwarf is Adequate. Two of the axedwarves are the mason and the weaver and all the rest are farmers.

EDIT: A dwarven child had a craftdwarf mood. Can I do the planepacked exploit on it? I've always wanted to try that :3 Please?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:59:17 am by Authority2 »
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 31, 2014, 09:48:47 am »

There's three axedwarves, a speardwarf and a hammerdwarf. All are Competent in their weapon skills and all except the hammerdwarf are Novice in Shield/Armor User and Dodging. The hammerdwarf is Adequate. Two of the axedwarves are the mason and the weaver and all the rest are farmers.

EDIT: A dwarven child had a craftdwarf mood. Can I do the planepacked exploit on it? I've always wanted to try that :3 Please?

We haven't experienced any problems with FPS so far, so go on, try it. The thread is pretty much derailed anyway.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:51:37 am by Monitor Lisard »

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 31, 2014, 10:42:25 am »

It turned out that the main component of the mood was bones, so we didn't have many to put into a moodcraft anyway, so I aborted it. :( The mood looks like an interesting one anyway, with demands for:
bones
raw green glass
silk cloth
rough gems
silk cloth
plant cloth
cut gems

We're having some tantruming from clothes wearing out in addition to the zombie siege. 43 miserable, 12 very unhappy and 19 unhappy out of 189 dwarves. I'm making a bunch of dresses and shoes since I think those two together satisfy all the clothing requirements?

And my dwarf went raving mad, but it's unlikely anyone can tell the difference. I got a screenshot this time.

EDIT: The year ended! I'll upload the save now.
EDIT2: Here.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:06:36 am by Authority2 »

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 31, 2014, 10:54:02 am »

We're having some tantruming from clothes wearing out in addition to the zombie siege. 43 miserable, 12 very unhappy and 19 unhappy out of 189 dwarves. I'm making a bunch of dresses and shoes since I think those two together satisfy all the clothing requirements?

I guess trousers will suit better for this - If I remember correctly, dresses cover only upper body. And, of course, more shoes are required.

Let's take a peek at the save... is anyone willing to take a turn? If not, I'm going to do another intermission.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:56:17 am by Monitor Lisard »

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 31, 2014, 11:07:49 am »

Save's up in my previous post.
And I think one "make shoe" job makes a pair of shoes.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 31, 2014, 11:57:53 am »

By the way, good job on that wall! It really decorates the fortress. :)

My dwarf is really unhappy about the mandates being ignored... When did she become so bossy?

Nuckles is now a mace lord. We've got a good bit of professional fighters now, including 5 axe lords, 3 swordmasters, 2 mace lords and 5 spearmasters.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:59:53 am by Monitor Lisard »

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 31, 2014, 12:08:15 pm »

Thank you :3
Their armor is ready, but I didn't know enough about them to assign the steel armor to the best ones and iron to the rest. There's a lot of wood from the destroyed caravan that's just sitting outside the wall on the right, so maybe we can make more steel for everyone.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 44