Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

King Melbil has arrived with his queen consort. There are also many relatives of the king currently living in the fortress. What should we do?

Kill the king, but leave queen consort and relatives be.
- 0 (0%)
Murder the king and his wife, leave other members of their family alive.
- 0 (0%)
Kill'em all!
- 0 (0%)
Other variant (in comments)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44

Author Topic: Dorfday: The Heist - The Finale  (Read 70849 times)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfday: The Heist - Thirst, Insanity and the Titan (Players are welcome!)
« Reply #135 on: November 06, 2013, 02:42:07 pm »

Pretty much.  The front gate leads to the doors or the depot.  If we survive, that will become at least 2z levels deep.  The guard tower.  The overhang over the courtyard, although that is with bolt range of the tower.  And i built a pit in the courtyard that falls into the hollow someone made, and has a tunnel leading back to the fort so we can unforbid useful bone for bolt making.  I never thought I'd get enough migrants to attract a z-level skipping titan, so that only has a door.

What i cannot remember is if the guard tower is on top of the main stairs, or if there is a tunnel i can wall off.  That and the front are my biggest concerns.  The depot and tunnel should be easy to wall off.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 06, 2013, 02:48:34 pm »

I think the tower is at the top of the stairs.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 06, 2013, 02:57:29 pm »

The guard tower is at the top of the main stairway. I used ramps to connect the floors, and, if I remember correctly , you can build a floor over ramps.
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 06, 2013, 03:34:22 pm »

The religion is fine with hospitals, just not drugs, surgery, traction benches, etc.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 06, 2013, 05:51:19 pm »

The religion is fine with hospitals, just not drugs, surgery, traction benches, etc.
This will make good journal material.
---

Personal Diary of Nuckles
I talked to our new doctor Aseaheru a while back, just to size him up.  The funny thing about doctors is that they're the last person on your mind until something goes terribly wrong.  I remember having to haul a buddy all over the place once when the normal guy was on break.  The backup doctor was a nut case, wanted to bite my friend's neck for some reason.  I ended up having to take him to the mercy room and explain how he took 3 bolts while "falling down the stairs".  Anyway, our guy Aseaheru just told me that he doesn't actually plan to give the patients medicine or treatment?  I am officially looking for a new medic.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 08:07:03 pm by Ruhn »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2013, 05:53:21 pm »

Mostly it seems to be "keep them fed, watered and praying"
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2013, 06:38:57 pm »

Grim sighed, sitting down after a long day of work.  Now was time to sit down and have a nice drink of booze.  He surveyed the room, surprised to see Maskwolf making a beeline for him.  SHe was a strange dwarf, and never spoke to him unless found and spoken to.
"Grim, get me a leatherworks this instant!"
Grim sighed.  This dwarf was getting tiresome.
"I don't have the authority to do that anymore."
The next thing Grim knew, he was on the ground, his chin burning.  Maskwolf's crossbow was pointed straight at his face.
"I... said... get... me... a... leatherworks...!" She growled
"I..." Grim began, but his voice faltered.  The vein pulsing in her neck looked so... no, she had a crossbow.  "You need to talk to Grimmash.  He's the new..."
Maskwolf leaned down till her face was right next to his, the crossbow pushed against his skull, "I need you to get me a leatherworks.  NOW!"

With all out of character apologies to Grim.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2013, 06:51:59 pm »

No need for apologies, it fits fine.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2013, 07:41:36 pm »

The Journal of Grimmash, Overseer of Chamberdrums

22nd Felsite

Armok has truly blessed us!  The deeds of the last few days have restored my faith in his crimson fury, and in the rightness of our bloody path in Chamberdrums.

I confess, when I saw the lizard-like abomination, triple tails slowly twitching, I though we were doomed.  It was covered in feathers, and I saw no way to keep the beast from breaking down the doors.  A few of the old hands here, Monitor and FireCrazy among them, calmed me and provided some advice.  We immediately sounded the alarm to bring in the dwarves in the courtyard, and made plans to wall off behind the doors that the beast could tear down in the depot, the pit and the courtyard.  We almost lost a father and child beyond the bridge, but quick work by our dwarves moved that bridge faster than I though possible, and they made it in. 

While that fiasco was unfolding, our marksdwarves deployed to the tower to try and at least wound the beast however it decided to attack.  But the beast was none to smart.  It made for the ruins of the failed farms, and spent some time tearing apart the fields.  By the time it turned its' baleful gaze to the fortress, our marskmen were ready.  As the beast approached, our makeshift bone bolts began to hit the monster. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

While the beast was covered in feathers we soon learned it had no wings, and with true aim the marksmen quickly disabled the beast with a shot to the lungs. They brought it down a paces further on, as it stumbled and bled across the wastes above our home.  A final shot to the chest hit near the heart, and the beast collapsed, spilling raspy breaths full of blood and webs, until it expired.

A dwarf named Albel Onulsazir fired the final bolt, and has earned the name "Titanslayer".

With this victory, Chamberdrums shall only grow stronger, and vengence on the Mountainhome shall be ours!

I heard that there was an altercation between Maskwolf and Grim.  I think Mask mistook us, and decked Grim for failing to create a leatherworks for him, while I was giving the very orders to build the workshop.  I hope Grim is understanding.  There seems to be some strange hatred in Mask towards Grim, and some of the other dwarves have told me he feels slighted, missing out out much of the combat that has occurred.  I've told the others to keep news of the titan's slaying from Mask until he comes out of his mood.  I fear what telling him now might lead to.

OOC:  I copied the save to see if the titan was a flyer, and to see if I could seal the fort fast enough.  That went shockingly well, so on with the game.  Also, I just have to show you where Mask was during all this:

The bright purple exclamation point in the bottom right is Mask rushing down to the leatherworks, where some of the farms used to be.  Also, Grim has a baby!  He is carrying it around with him.  How cute!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 06, 2013, 07:46:37 pm »

Great update. Though did you mean to say "keep the word of the titan's death from Maskwolf?" Also, what type of mood is it?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 06, 2013, 07:57:34 pm »

I believe he meant to say to keep news from you and that you had a baby. My dorf is male and single while yours is female and married to spazbot.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 06, 2013, 07:59:10 pm »

That's what I thought. Alright, the fact that my dwarf has a baby changes things.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 06, 2013, 10:41:44 pm »

Maskwolf is possessed.

The baby comment was OOC, I just thought it was funny to see a mooding marksdwarf running around with a tike.

I meant, in character, to try and prevent anyone from telling Maskwolf, while possessed, that he also managed to miss one of the most notable fights/kills in the short history of the fort.  And that yet another marksdwarf got a kill.  Obviously word will spread, but no sense in throwing explosives on a bonfire.  Armok forbid Mask confuses Grimmash for Grim.  I don't want to be held at crossbow-point.  I'm just a cheesemaker turned mason turned overseer.

I'll look up the family connections for everyone in a bit and post them.

So assuming I can get back to building out the fort, I'm planning on moving a lot of our stuff down below the aquifer,  digging out the tree farm, making our defenses titan-proof, and starting the plan.  Any requests for things to be done?  Bonus points for journaling it.  I plan on getting through some more of summer tonight, and the hordes of dwarves will speed my work up a bit.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 06, 2013, 10:49:54 pm »

The baby comment was OOC, I just thought it was funny to see a mooding marksdwarf running around with a tike.
That's the moody mooding marksdwarf Maskwolf, to you.

Also, we knew what you were saying, but you wrote Grim twice when you meant Maskwolf.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 07, 2013, 12:55:49 am »

The Journal of Grimmash, Overseer of Chamberdrums

Summer – Part 2

24th Hematite

At some point, we elected a mayor, Zulban Biseklokum.  She is miserable.  Apparently no one bothered to tell her about the damn titan we just fought off.  One taste of nobility is all it takes…  Ah well, I’ve designated some large rooms to be dug out for her.  Next to all the founders, so they can keep an eye on her. 

More good news, Maskwolf has begun a mysterious construction.  I hope she makes something useful for the fort!

27th Hematite

We managed to butcher that damn titan, and the butcher’s bill was astounding:  266 servings of meat, 14 servings of brain, 28 servings of lung, 7 servings of heart, 42 servings of intestines, 59 servings of fat, 132 bones, and sundry bits of tissue, nail, and other items.  Too bad Maskwolf wasn’t able to use any in her project.

28th Hematite

Maskwolf finished her project.  She brought it to me, baby in tow, with a soft expression completely unlike anything I had seen from her.

“What is it?” I asked.

“I call it Azkobekos, Incensetake!”

It was a leather shoe.

I had no idea what to say, so I told her I was glad to have her back, and told we had new bolts in the stocks.  I promised to try and make some out of metal if I get the chance, but bone is all we have for now.  I hope she has softened some.  I also told her I was sure Grim meant her no ill will.  We need to focus on our goal here, and not fight amongst ourselves.

We will make Chamberdrums safe, make it the greatest fortress in the realm, and then take unleash vengence on those who sent us here, not our brothers and sisters in suffering.

5th Malachite

One of our dwarves, Kubuk Asobirtir, was found suffocated in one of the dorm beds today.  I’m not sure what happened, but that’s a poor fate for any dwarf.  I haven’t had time to even think of a hospital yet, although Aseaheru assured me that I was confused about the Cult of Armok Scientist and building a hospital was fine.

I’m working on getting more beds and bedrooms made, more pots for booze and food, and  making some room for all our dwarves.  Tensions are high, so I have asked the miners to try and dig out a grand dining hall near the new farms.  I know Monitor and Grim intended us all to have opulent rooms, but I think I managed to convince them of the need to keep our newer dwarves happy in order buy time to complete our plan.  This is a long con, not a smash and grab.

16th Malachite

Our new mayor went mad today.  I looked into her past, and I have sad news.  Zulban is only 13 years old, and is the daughter of RoughRogue, the poor addict who came here with me.  I just finished appointing her rooms by donating my own gold furniture, and I managed to convince Grim and FireCrazy to donate some of their furniture until I could make replacements, but I was too late.  I’m sorry RoughRogue, there is just so much to do, and I never even thought of catering to the needs of nobles here. 

While I remain committed to Armok’s righteous vengeance, I fear I must guard myself so as not to bring his wrath upon us for committing the same sins as the ones who sent us here.  While I never intended to harm anyone, my actions are too slow and are costing us innocent dwarves.  We must work harder to make sure the needs of all our new exiles are treated as dwarves instead of slaves.  Armok, give me strength.  I know that we must pay the blood tithe to the God of Blood, but I must strive to ensure it is the blood of the treacherous, not the broken bodies of the persecuted.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44