Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

King Melbil has arrived with his queen consort. There are also many relatives of the king currently living in the fortress. What should we do?

Kill the king, but leave queen consort and relatives be.
- 0 (0%)
Murder the king and his wife, leave other members of their family alive.
- 0 (0%)
Kill'em all!
- 0 (0%)
Other variant (in comments)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44

Author Topic: Dorfday: The Heist - The Finale  (Read 70756 times)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfday: The Heist - Marksdwarf Elite (Players are welcome!)
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2013, 01:08:05 am »

I did some scouting off the first uploaded save. 

We have built our fortress in the midst of an aquifer.  Two of our floors are literally in the one safe spot that could have been found.  Luckily the aquifer is only about 9 z levels.  Don't go building north of the current bedrooms, a few tiles north is waterlogged.  Unfortunately some of our hematite is in said aquifer.  When my turn comes I'll try and dig deeper and put some sort of indicators in for later overseers.  On the plus side this means we have a lot of water that could be used for various purposes.

On a random note, the archers randomly killed the necro shortly after I unpaused the game.  Grim Portent got the fatal blow.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2013, 03:37:57 am »

Holy shit, this looks epic and has made me want to start playing DF again. Could I maybe be dorfed when a migrant wave comes in?
Do you have any preferences about your dwarf's gender or profession?

By the way, Grim Portent, which dwarves have been alredy named? I'm going to update our dorfing list.   
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

RoughRogue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of drink and laziness
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2013, 04:03:55 am »

From the diary of 'RoughRogue' Mosusnish, Engraver

It gets boring. No work and no weed. Well, at least they have some nice booze here and it makes me almost happy.
All the dorfz here look like... ahem... tough-guys-with-the-big-crossbows, you know what I mean. Heh, in beardlinghood I always dreamt to be one and it looks the dreams come true.
Someone went mad couple of days ago, he screamed that dead walk outside our walls. "Ha ha ha, those dudes are crazy, how could lifeless corpses walk?" I thought, but skin crawling from the butchery by itself in my sight quickly changed my mind. Holy carp, I've never need a smoke more than that moment. But now it's quiet, dead are dead again and the dumbass dwarven (shame on her!) necromancer who was so kind to bring her ass right under our bolts now rests in peace inside our walls. What the hell? Isn't it too honorable for the betrayer of our kin to be put to rest among the stones? If I was in charge here I'd throw her damned bones into lava! Well, maybe it's because we have no lava here? Anyway, now Celldrums... aw, I forgot the goddamn name again... is the typical provincial outpost, quiet and boring. Waahh, it makes me sleepy...
If losing is fun, then what should be winning?

Adept Mechanic
Adequate Bookkeeper
Novice Drunkard
Legendary (+5) Keyboard Smasher

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2013, 06:22:56 am »

So.. I created an adventurer and visited the fortress. I was expecting to be killed by necromancers the moment I got there but just as I was about to enter the fortress..

I had forgotten about the stone traps.

That was quick..

I imagine the journal is something like:

Journal of Unknown Archeologist
Entry #1

I have finally arrived at the historic outpost of Chamberdrums after days of walking, almost starving to death once, and almost killed by animals! I cannot believe the hardships I took to get here. There was a fisherdwarf who told me that it is not possible to enter the fortress. What nonsense! I killed him before he told me why. The necromancers are long gone. What is going to kill me, stones? Okay, time to enter the fortress and .. what the- (The rest of the page is covered in blood)

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2013, 10:59:04 am »

While Grim Portent is playing, I decided to make a picture of one of the named dwarves. Here's my rendition of dorf!Aseaheru:

It may not look really great , as I am not a professional artist and I had only basic software for drawing. At least, I tried.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:12:54 pm by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2013, 11:08:27 am »

I think it's pretty good.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2013, 03:49:51 pm »

Thats cool. But wheres the ring?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2013, 10:54:29 am »

I'll have an update up later today, might even finish my turn, but I'm having difficulty dealing with an ambush. Bloody goblins brought bows. The dwarf caravan arrived though so I might be able to let them break the invaders backs for me.

EDIT: Journal time :)

1st Limestone
I had some mugs carved from gold ore, in the event that a caravan arrives then we will require something to use for trade purposes.

22nd Limestone
I had the militia kill a group of kangaroos that were passing through the area. Their bones are being carved into ammunition for us marksdwarves.

1st Sandstone
I decided to ask our masons to fashion some furniture from gold ore, I may not be able to fashion our quarters from gold in their entirety, but I can make sure we have the sparkling luster of gold beneath us when we dine.

9th Sandstone
Now that we have bolts again I asked Maskwolf to help me hunt the animals that pass through the area. He looked at me for a while before saying yes. I think his eye was twitching, I remember he acted a bit like that when we were burying the necromancer I killed.

I decided that if I cannot plate the walls in gold I'll see to it that the walls are engraved. Roughrogue seemed pleased to have something to do.

19th Sandstone
Another group of misbegotten fools have gotten themselves sent out to us. Several of them have picks and some mining experience, so I've directed them to Firecrazy, he knows his way around the gold mines here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

17th Timber
I had some space dug to store furniture in, with the gold replacements being installed our old stuff has been cluttering up the halls. Banged my shin on a chest earlier.

18th Timber
Some goblins tried to make off with the babies of some of our people. We sent them packing.

19th Timber
An ambush! Goblins are outside our walls, I'd take to the archers tower but they brought a group of bowmen of their own and I dare not risk the loss of life. We stay put for now.

24th Timber
A timely arrival by the caravan from the mountains saw the goblins will to fight broken by the guards. When the last of the goblins were fleeing I ordered our militia, both soldiers and marksdwarves out to help finish them off. I managed to shoot one of the wretched things in the heart. I told the other archers, they all congratulated me on the shot except Maskwolf, his eye just twitched a bit. I think he needs to get a bit of stress relieved by killing something. He hasn't done much since the zombies he shot during the necromancer siege.

I must say the way the goblin twitched as it died, the smell of it's blood... It was most... thrilling.

1st Moonstone
I managed to barter some of our golden mugs for drink, wood (thank Armok) steel weapons (which the militia were very pleased by), and a few steel bars. Sadly the kings liason was killed by the goblin bowmen.

I found myself having difficulty concentrating on the negotiations, for some reason my eyes kept wandering to the merchants neck, the veins pulsing there, my hand kept brushing my crossbow. I think I need to rest a bit.

3rd Moonstone
Something seems off with Cyatica, he's become very withdrawn, he just rummages around the masons stone stockpiles muttering. I don't have time to find out what's the matter, I'm meeting with the soldiers to sort through the goblins equipment and see what might be useful.

9th Moonstone
Cyatica has made something... So beautiful... A weapon rack made purely of golden ore... I had it put in Lizards room. It seemed only right that our first leader have this wondrous thing.

24th Obsidian
Another ambush bays at the base of our defences. I've sounded the alert, today we marksdwarves draw goblin blood. Delightful goblin blood.

I scrambled to the tower with one of the newcomers by my side, one Led Morulrungak. His skills impressed me. He slew two goblins with well placed shots. When the others arrived, huffing and puffing from lack of breath I told them of what Led had done. We all gave him a congratulatory slap on the back and shook his hand. He did well for an unblooded soldier. Though come to think of it Maskwolf seemed a bit distant while we congratulated Led. Maybe he's just not a people person.

I've decided that while my renovations of our accommodations are unfinished and I have done very little to refine our production capacity it is about time I took a step back and let someone else lead. There have been mutterings among the newcomers that I'm not helping them get their own rooms, and someones been spreading rumors that I've been mismanaging the marksdwarves assignments. In order to quench all this nonsense it seems best that I resign and show that I'm just a working dwarf thrust into a bad position. If we let ourselves be divided then we will fall to the undead or the goblins before long.

The rooms

I'll have screenshots and the save up soon, we have some gold being smelted, the militia has shiny new weapons and some goblinite armour. There are still some goblins wandering around and I can't tell if they're fleeing or not.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 05:32:18 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2013, 12:51:06 pm »

Personal Diary of Nuckles
A necromancer made a hit on our turf with her gang of zombies, and Rufus got ace'd.  He got me through some tough scrapes in the past, but not much you can do when your number comes up.  My traps made a difference, but they weren't enough.  Once I get them all cleaned and tested again it will be time to install some new ones.

Overall this place is shaping up well so far.  It's good to sleep in my own room and not have to worry about rival gangs or the King's Guard comming for me in the night.  Although, I did notice this guy Maskwolf giving Grim the evil eye once or twice.  If you ask me- it's about time we put these new faces through initiation and see which ones are going to join the crew.  Everyone else can be disarmed and keep up our front of being a trading center or whatever.  I'll discuss this with the others.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2013, 02:55:39 pm »

CMD get his new job title yet?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Blenheim Datandur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2013, 04:39:45 pm »

Do you have any preferences about your dwarf's gender or profession?

By the way, Grim Portent, which dwarves have been alredy named? I'm going to update our dorfing list.   

I would prefer one of a couple things;

An engraver, miner, or armor/weaponsmith in terms of any craftingdwarves.

or

An axe or marksdwarf in the militia.

If possible. :)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2013, 06:14:22 pm »

My turns done, I've put a list of the population in my journal entry,

Save:

I got a bit distracted and didn't do all the dorfing I should have, what with sieges and ambushes and finding stuff I could talk about to feed maskwolfs in character dislike of me. We really need to dig out some room for a proper butchers and refuse piles deeper in the fort before the next necro siege, we have a ton of goblin remains lying about the place, I think there's a squad of ambushers somewhere and we have a heap of migrants with no bedrooms.

Worst of all is that I didn't finish redecorating.  :(
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2013, 06:33:40 pm »

Sign me up for a turn.  And damn, why do I never get kills  :(

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2013, 06:40:24 pm »

Usually you're one of the last the fight for some reason. It's almost as if a superior in the military was conspiring against you...  :P
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2013, 06:50:18 pm »

Usually you're one of the last the fight for some reason. It's almost as if a superior in the military was conspiring against you...  :P
From the diary of Maskwolf:
24 Obsidian
My hatred for Grim grows with every passing day.  At every turn he has foiled me, always ensuring that I do not see combat.  Though he said he would think about an archery range, one was never set up, so I am stuck wandering the halls of the fort aimlessly.  Twice the goblins have put us under siege, and twice Grim ensured I would stay inside.  During the first he claimed there were marksgoblins in the horde.  So what?  We can take them.  The second, though... My blood boils just thinking about it.  I was examining a rock in the exploratory mines when a dwarf came running up to me, saying he was so glad he found me and that the goblins were attacking.  This was my chance!  But when I arrived, they were all standing about congratulating one of the new recruits on killing two of them.  Damn you, Grim.  I know you kept me out of that fight.  You didn't send for a messenger until you knew the fight would be over.  I am watching you, Grim.  And when you slip up... I will be ready. Me and my crossbow.

25 Obsidian
I have reason to believe Nuckles has been reading my journal.  Today he asked me if I had anything against Grim.  I told him that I didn't, but he didn't look convinced.  I will have to keep a close eye on him, to prevent him spreading rumors.

OOC: Yeah, my dwarf isn't very good at putting two and two together, so to speak.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 06:53:15 pm by 4maskwolf »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44