Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Ends!  (Read 43568 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Begins!
« Reply #420 on: November 22, 2013, 02:46:49 pm »

Yeah, breaking 40k felt really good. My story's on a roll, even if my main character gave me the finger and started her own tangent last night that will affect the next chapter or two. The scene was just too damn good not to let her get her way.

Sappho, have you considered switching to stream of consciousness writing for now just to keep pace? Maybe not worry so much about rigid structure and just get a bunch of stuff down on the page to work with later? There's the other 11 months of the year to make all the edits your heart desires, when the deadline isn't looming to drain your drive to press onward. There is still plenty of time, don't lose faith.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #421 on: November 24, 2013, 02:27:31 pm »

Today I finally managed to get some real writing done. 3348 words actually. I'm still about 3800 words behind, but if I can make about 2000 words a day, I'll still finish on time. Maybe I'll manage to catch up tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to focus well enough to do it. I'm so hung over today that I can't be sure if I'm still manic, since I just feel like a huge mess in general.

Actually, not all of the words I wrote were for the novel itself. I hit a wall not long after starting, so I spent some time typing out detailed descriptions of a couple of the characters instead. It's still relevant to the book, even though it won't directly be in the story. I'll use the information in other places, and it was helpful to force myself to analyze the situation in that way so I could figure out how to move the plot along. I hadn't allowed myself to do something like that before since it seemed like cheating to count words that weren't part of the story itself, but I think given the situation I've been in these last few days, it's fair enough, as long as I'm writing, to count it so I could catch up.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 24, 2013, 03:44:34 pm »

Sounds fine to me, it's novel related and written in November. The main no-no for me would be using something like that that I'd done before Nov 1, so in my opinion you're doing great.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 25, 2013, 11:59:14 am »

So I'm now less than one day of writing 2k away from hitting 50k and winning NaNo, as well as hitting the halfway point of my novel. It feels pretty darn good, considering my last two NaNos ended at 3k-ish and 9k-ish. :D

Where's everyone else at, at the moment?
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #424 on: November 25, 2013, 01:27:24 pm »

36,241 words. Haven't written any yet today. Mania was somewhat suppressed yesterday by a hangover, but tonight it's rearing its ugly head once more. I must find a way to force myself to write at least 2000 words today or I'll never finish on time...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 25, 2013, 01:39:13 pm »

46,091 right now. Two days of my standard 2k and I'll win, then another 10-15k and my draft will be finished, I think. Maybe more.

And then *steeples fingers* there will be edits. Lots of edits and expansions. AFTER a day or two off and patting myself on the back.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 25, 2013, 02:03:57 pm »

15k. I may or may not break 20k by the end. It became too dull - my idea turned out to not work out as well as I thought it would, and I'm too lazy to make myself inspired toward something else.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #427 on: November 25, 2013, 04:24:24 pm »

1000 words today. It's a good amount better than nothing but still not even close to enough. I pray I'll be able to make it before the week is over.

I tried contacting a doctor tonight. It turns out that one of the hospitals that accepts my insurance (there's only 3 of them) actually has a psychiatric department. I wrote an email asking if they could help me, and to my surprise, the answer came a mere 20 minutes later: No. The woman wrote that if I really need help, I have to go to a "psychiatric center," which is what I thought I was doing. She said if there's a real crisis, there's a place I can go for emergency help, and gave me the name, but that's all.

This is the problem with my shitty insurance. Only the cheapest of the state hospitals accepts it because it's cheap insurance, so that means they're the hospitals where most people go, and they're too overloaded to provide good care. There's excellent care available at private places, but that costs a lot of extra money.

I can't write any more on this book tonight. When I try to even look at it, it's like my head starts vibrating more and more until I have to look away. STUPID BRAIN YOU SUCK AT YOUR JOB.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #428 on: November 26, 2013, 03:14:20 am »

Woo!

Now I really need to down shift a bit. I'm still going to write every day if I can help it, but I just do not have the time to keep up 2000 words a day. Eesh November, why must you test me so...
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 26, 2013, 03:18:03 am »

Epic First Winner For Great Justice!

Congratulations and massive applause!

I'm sitting on 48,200 right now, so I'll join you in striking majestic poses in the winner's circle tomorrow, for sure.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #430 on: November 26, 2013, 04:12:13 am »

Extreme congratulations! I will join you, one way or another, even if I just write nonsense for the next few days...

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 26, 2013, 12:30:12 pm »

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/hiddentruth/novels/blood-in-the-stars/stats

Validated winner status, baby! I'm happy beyond belief. There just aren't any words for it. :D

Now the real challenges begin: finishing the novel, writing more stories, and being published. Making a life out of it. Maybe I'll fail, maybe I won't make it, maybe it's hopeless, but if November has proven anything to me, it's that I can write a novel and keep at it day after day. That's all I need to try.

As someone who has been a lazy procrastinator all his life, doing nothing of real worth, winning NaNo has been one of the better moments in my life. Today is a damn good day. :)
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 26, 2013, 01:52:39 pm »

Congratulations! I'm still sitting at 45,918 right now, but the end isn't so far away. Even if I am still crawling along the midpoint in terms of actual plot arc. Oh well.

Tempted to go for an epic rush and breach 50k today. Whoo boy.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 26, 2013, 02:06:52 pm »

Here's hoping for better luck next year. 2 major essays and an additional family function to Thanksgiving. If I can just reach 10,000 words I'll be happy.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #434 on: November 26, 2013, 03:29:49 pm »

3232 words today! And all story this time! I finally broke 40k. If I can keep this up, I'll be finished in time. Here's to conquering your internal demons for just long enough to win a competition against yourself!

The children are nearing the top of the mountain. Soon Anne will finally find her phone signal, just before a plot twist makes it irrelevant, and she is finally forced to realize that her brother isn't losing his mind after all.

I am doing this. I am making this happen.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32