Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Novel-Writing Game: "Offer Void in Lithuania".  (Read 4310 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Novel-Writing Game: "Offer Void in Lithuania".
« on: October 17, 2013, 11:27:00 pm »

Soooo...the idea beyond this is akin to those games everyone's played as a kid where the first person writes part of a story, then the next person writes the next part having seen only the last part written, and so on, until we all get a good kick out of the jolly wacky story that's been written.

This takes it to the next level. We're trying to write a novel. Now, because it's a novel and not a short story, there should be enough information for the players to attempt some sort of continuity, but still jerk the game in unexpected and hilarious directions. Therefore, I'm going to keep the active player one turn in the dark early in the game and then move that up to two if I feel it's a good idea. Here's what that means:

-I write section 1, forward it to player 2.
-Player 2 sends back his section to me, I send his section to player 3.
-Player 3 writes his section. When it completes, I post section 1 (my first section) here publicly, and forward his section to player 4, who can therefore see sections 1 and 3, but not 2.
-Player 4 completes and section 2 is posted publicly. Player 5 can now write his section with access to sections 1, 2 and 4, but not 3. And so on and so forth. At least early in the game, player N can write according to all sections save for N-2.

So, more officially, here are the rules:

-Each player's section of the novel should be around 500-1000 words long (don't go much shorter or much longer, unless you really need to finish a scene in a certain way, either abruptly or with extra detail). It must continue the novel fairly faithfully as can be done with the information the player has at hand. Do not be afraid to move the plot along, but don't introduce a twist every other section, either. Feel more than free to use this game as an exercise to sharpen your ability to write lush scenes with lots of detail.

-You will have 48 hours to complete your section, with extensions grantable up to 72. Because of the chain nature of the game and the developing plot, delaying too long or skipping too many people could screw up the game.

-Do not spoil blacked-out sections to the current writers. Should go without saying.

-Don't write explicit scenes. (Use the power of horrible implications or cut-scenes).

-When unsure whether or not to make a BIG REVEAL...don't. You'll know when it would be a good idea, I think.

-Don't forward your scene directly to the next person- send it to me by PM and I'll do it. That way I can keep track of everyone's sections.

-Keep length in mind- we're trying to write a novel or at least a novella.

-Don't be an utter moron, generally. I will skip you if your section was extraordinarily (riddled with grammatical errors, does not fit in with any of what's been written) badly written.

Finished
In Progress
Skipped

1. FearfulJesuit
2. dermonster
3. Harry Baldman
4. evilcherry
5. grek
6. Digital Hellhound
7. Kashyyk
8. imp
9. GreatWyrmGold
10. USEC_OFFICER
11. Powder Miner
12. Wwolin
13. Dariush

And the title of our novel is...Offer Void in Lithuania. I do not know what the offer is, nor what our characters are doing in Lithuania. This will be discovered.

I'm working on the first section now. Sign up!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:00:32 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Novel-Writing Game: "Offer Void in Lithuania".
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 11:35:09 pm »

Fuck it, sure, let's go.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:50:58 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 12:01:18 am »

I'm up for it.
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 12:11:40 am »

You had me at 'Lithuania'. I'm up for it as well.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 12:24:54 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:04:47 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 12:25:19 am »

(post reserved)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 12:29:46 am »

(post reserved)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 12:55:56 am »

Time to brush up my writing!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 03:46:56 am »

I'm in.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 04:36:56 am »

Ooh, in.

EDIT: What do you mean by explicit, though? These are the DF forums, no-one's gonna be traumatized for life by a bit of violence.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 04:54:54 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 04:39:55 am »

Sure, why not?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 04:47:11 am »

In-terested too.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 06:04:10 am »

EDIT: What do you mean by explicit, though? These are the DF forums, no-one's gonna be traumatized for life by a bit of violence.
Five dorfbucks says he's referring to sexual intercourse and the like.

I'll give it a shot.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 07:29:19 am »

I also feel that Gorn comes in there.

Hell if you waste 500 words into a killing scene, at least make it well justified.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 10:48:54 am »

I also feel that Gorn comes in there.

Hell if you waste 500 words into a killing scene, at least make it well justified.

Eh, I mostly meant explicit sex. I'm not too worried about horror, as long as it isn't gratuitous.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5