Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Galactic Civilizations III - Released  (Read 14250 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Galactic Civilizations III - Released
« on: October 15, 2013, 06:14:57 pm »

Steam Store Link.
GalCiv III is officially released. The current price is $50.

Galactic Civilizations III is the sequel to Galactic Civilizations II. You play as the leader of one of the 10(?) 8 factions. (or your own custom faction)
The game itself is fairly typical 4X, though you can design your own ships in a ship editor, or just use the default layouts.

In my opinion, the game is mostly an increment from GalCiv 2, but it does that really well. Graphics are improved, UI is extremely better, etc.

Spoiler: Original (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 05:58:30 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Galactic Civilizations III
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 06:18:49 pm »

That's some trailer. If I hadn't known it was for GalCiv 3, I wouldn't have guessed it.

I really enjoyed my first foray into GalCiv 2, but somehow it didn't capture my imagination the second time. I'll be interested to see where this goes but being that it's Stardock.....I'll be waiting on the fence, to say the least.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 06:21:26 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 06:29:33 pm »

Finaly! (Starcraft's marine voice from reveal trailer): Its about time. eager to see what they will have for us there.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 06:38:40 pm »

Oh, GalCiv! This seems like a *fires up shipbuilder. wastes 3 hours scaling antennas.*

What were we talking about?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 06:49:39 pm »

Oh, GalCiv! This seems like a *fires up shipbuilder. wastes 3 hours scaling antennas.*

What were we talking about?
Thats a win haha.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 07:07:59 pm »

Honestly, I'm not that interested in it as far as playing it goes. I've only finished two galciv2 games, and one was by mistake.

I just want an improved ship builder with Kryo's hull system mod (or similar huge part expansion thing) builtin. Give me that and the ability to still make OP custom races via notepad so I can use my absurd-looking ships in the combat viewer without a problem and I'd be happy.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 08:00:20 pm »

Honestly, I'm not that interested in it as far as playing it goes.

Agreed. Almost all my memories of GC2 involve the ship builder. Rock/paper/scissors ship combat is pretty underwhelming at best, boring at worst.

But that ship builder, that thing was so much fun.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 08:17:50 pm »

Honestly they could have just made it a shipbuilder and I still would have bought it.

Unless, maybe, they're planning on ditching the RPS combat.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 08:20:31 pm »

Damn, I hated the RPS system.

"Haha, fear my super advanced gigantic ship of doom! It has the best shields money can buy!"
"nope, I have the first mass driver. Hope you didn't like your ship!"
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 08:24:50 pm »

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYES
Getting this thing. All the thing. Yes.
Good.
Ship builder.

EDIT: holy crap the game has online multiplayer.
DO YOU REALIZE WHAT THIS MEANS
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:30:52 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 08:34:52 pm »

holy crap the game has online multiplayer.

... multiplayer ship building competitions? If not, I'm at a loss.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 08:35:50 pm »

holy crap the game has online multiplayer.

... multiplayer ship building competitions? If not, I'm at a loss.
Yes! Speed ship building! Annual competitions to make the most elaborate ship!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 10:10:07 pm »

Black Hole Gun.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 10:53:03 pm »

Am I the only one that hated shipbuilding? The game itself was awesome, but shipbuilding was terrible.

You had to constantly remake the SAME ships when you got another microtech level, or when you developed Laser Mk VDXXIVXIVIVD, because it was 0.1 smaller and you could fit another one.

Plus, I never used the cosmetic stuff EVER because I played it zoomed out enough that I never saw it.

Also, RPS combat = absolute meh.

The amazing thing was that they actually allowed you to win by diplomacy and other means. I recall befriending certain races and giving them tech so I could pit them against each other. I think it was the only game I've ever played where that was a legit strategy!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 11:02:58 pm »

No, I am in the same boat. It is what made the game such a huge time sink was the constant upgrade war and development.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9