Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Galactic Civilizations III - Released  (Read 14243 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Galactic Civilizations III
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 11:08:53 pm »

Before I pay $100, I'd really like to see what the new features are...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 01:48:30 am »

Before I pay $100, I'd really like to see what the new features are...

They're being vague on the details but they said there have been massive changes or at least too many to list.

Some of the features they added was a more in-depth ship designer; you are now able to design the shape of the ship with a tool they dubbed 'mini-maya', all races have their own unique tech tree with unique versions of tech specific to each race, and galactic resources.

Those are the only things they were upfront about and they said they added complexity to colonial management, diplomacy, and to the galaxy map in the form of anomalies.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 01:57:05 am »

After Elemental they'd probably have to pay me to get me too excited. Especially after how Wardell acted after.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 02:08:52 am »

I've recently restarted playing GalCiv II....hard for me to be that excited about III.

Beyond the ludicrously abstracted combat, it just feels like it's too micro in the places that should be streamlined (like issuing ship orders and making fleets), and way too macro in the places that need detail (planetary development, research). The diplomacy is pretty decent, although frequently AI factions go to war for reasons that are completely opaque. I had the Altarians frequently going to war with minor races that were fully in my spheres of influence, but the only war I could do anything about it was to go to full-scale war with the Altarians (and their ZOMG huge Torian allies). No options for anything like a defensive treaty with the minor races, or any way to peacefully integrate them into my empire.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 04:43:22 am »

I love this game. The reason i love it is the AI that was great in the first one, and was not that bad in the second. I love when i start making my fleet near neutral planet preparing to declare war on it, where he messaged me saying something like what are you doing there, or we know what you are planing  :)

Never cared about the building ship mechanic, and combat was not that good, but man, uniting with the AI (that will actualy not stab you in back) to fight a greater foa did feel good.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 05:11:25 am »

Beyond the ludicrously abstracted combat, it just feels like it's too micro in the places that should be streamlined (like issuing ship orders and making fleets), and way too macro in the places that need detail (planetary development, research).

This sums up my feelings for the GalCiv series. I really wanted to enjoy it more than I did, but that's what it boiled down to.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 09:22:04 am »

Am I the only one that hated shipbuilding? The game itself was awesome, but shipbuilding was terrible.

Nah, I'm right there with you. Fun for the first few hours, then it becomes a tedious chore.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 10:12:25 am »

Waiting for it to be released with bated breath.

GC2 has so far been my fave space 4X.

Even if the Drengin being that powerful in the campaign is hilarious, seeing as they never manage to get past "two-planet-stain-on-the-galaxy" level in the sandbox games :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 10:16:48 am »

I was so hyped up for Elemental, not going to get burned like that again. I'll be keeping my eye on this, but not holding my breath until I see a finished, working product.

Bormok, God of Mud

• Bay Watcher
  • Cousin of Armok
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 11:35:22 am »

After Elemental they'd probably have to pay me to get me too excited. Especially after how Wardell acted after.
I was thinking the same thing. I rather enjoyed the GalCiv games, but I'll wait until this is released to see if it's any good.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 11:58:27 am »

I'm tentatively interested. GalCiv II had some fantastic ideas, but for some reason failed to capture my long term attention.

This is actually why it has my attention. Fallen Enchantress, and its post-release content, has been REALLY good. I love that game, and I'm impressed with what Stardock were able to do with it. I hope they put their newfound skills (and staff?) towards GalCiv III.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 01:56:13 pm »

I'm tentatively interested. GalCiv II had some fantastic ideas, but for some reason failed to capture my long term attention.

This is actually why it has my attention. Fallen Enchantress, and its post-release content, has been REALLY good. I love that game, and I'm impressed with what Stardock were able to do with it. I hope they put their newfound skills (and staff?) towards GalCiv III.

I'm pretty much in the same boat here. Elemental was a huge letdown, but getting Fallen Enchantress and its expansions for free afterwards as an apology really did make up for it. So...I might actually be willing to pre-order from them again.

However, GCII was great fun the first couple of times I played it, but after that I just couldn't get into it again. I'd try it and play briefly before shutting it down and just going back to playing MOO2 every time I had a space 4X itch to scratch.

So...I'm not sure I really care about getting GCIII anytime soon. But if they make it properly engaging, maybe it'd be worth it?

Kinda torn.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 02:43:27 pm »

Truth.  Stardock ain't getting a cent of my money after the way they treated me.  After they went back on their "Gamers Bill of Rights" I have no respect for them at all.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 02:45:19 pm »

Also...GalCiv II had some of the lamest "humor" I've had the misfortune to read. If you're going to make a game where there are 4 levels of upgrade to essentially the same weapon, your flavor text should not read...."Phase Cannon III is, like, 1 better than Phase Cannon II."

This seems like it's taking a more serious tone, but still.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 03:56:10 pm »

Anyone actually tried out the Alpha of this thing here? Any reviews on how it is doing?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9