Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Badlands. Post-Apocalyptic Minimalist  (Read 4586 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Badlands. Post-Apocalyptic Minimalist
« on: October 15, 2013, 02:31:41 pm »

A few of my RTDs have died, so I'm just going to go with a very simple set-up with a focus on getting to the interesting bits as soon as possible and allowing a fast pace while being detail-light. This won't have the "drop-in" system as most minimalist RTDs, but the craziness is definitely there and a lot of people will probably be dying. The idea behind this is to simply play a character that's cool/stupid as hell and most likely impossible to fit into anything else, then do cool/stupid things without worrying about stuff like "gathering items" or "skill". This is essentially the cocaine of RTDs.

Spoiler: Backstory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character Creation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Challenge Ratings (click to show/hide)

This is a first-come first serve basis. I'm looking for around six players.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Badlands. Post-Apocalyptic Minimalist
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 04:03:37 pm »

Name : Harvey
Group : Gunslinger
Objective : Kill everyone he considers evil, recruit more people to join his army.
Kit : 2 swords across his back, 2 revolvers on his legs, scoped assault rifle on his chest. Survival kit. ( Everything you need to live in the wilds. ) Military grade armor.
Gunslinger HQ, fortified compound inside a high wall with a strong gate, contains armory full of all gunslingers equipment. ( Large numbers of swords, revolvers, 9mm and scoped rifles. )
Barracks.
Training ground.
Company of gunslingers armed equal to Harvey. ( 10 men. )
Company of apprentice gunslingers armed with 2 swords and 2 9mm pistols and military grade armor. ( 20 men. )
Potentials. People who've come to be tested in the hopes of becoming gunslingers. ( 50. ) Fresh groups arrive weekly.

(( You wanted awesome so founder of an established gunslinger company it is. ))
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 04:40:51 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 10:35:39 pm »

Name: Sumsare
Schtick: Cheerful murderous trickster
Group: Gnostic
Kit:
-Zapper Stick: Teleports target creature or object to target location. Proximity to location varys based on the success/failure of the roll.
-Monowire: Spool of seemly ordinary wire. When a section is detached from the spool, it can be activated with electricity or magical energy, shifting into a molecule-thick, super-strong state. Don't ask how it works. (Preference would be for the spool to be endless, but I can deal with having to supply it with raw materials if you need that for balance.)
-Liquid Blade: A sword hilt containing a reservoir of some sort of variable-state metal which can flow into any shape possible with its volume, hardening instantaneously, and revert just as quickly. If part of the reservoir is lost, can be replenished with any sort of scrap metal. The blade can channel magical effects, if any appropriate ones are available.
-Evershift Cloak: Near-perfect chameleon effect when still or in low light, but ripples during rapid movement and in bright light. Envelops the whole body.
-A Friendly Face: A laughing theatre mask with the appearance of porcelain, able to perfectly mimic the physical features of any person that Sumsare has seen before. Can also mimic specific voices if he has heard them speak >30ish words.

Howsat?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 03:59:06 am »

Name: Ace Upton
summary: A soldier who shoot first, asks questions while shooting.
Group: Lawmen
Kit:
Tank-when you need a little more firepower.
Minigun-Get to the chopper? You won't make it that far.
Sniper rifle-It a point and click adventure, I point the gun and then I click the trigger and then your brain goes on an adventure.
Power armour-R&D comes up with the craziest stuffs.
Wall of weapons-Guess
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 01:05:43 pm by scapheap »
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 04:13:46 am »

You didn't start the superhero one :<

Name: Aira B. Aroge
Summary: A bionic soldier trained to depend on the self and the environment.
Group: Lawmen
Kit:
-CBS (Compact Bionic Set): Vitality/ A multipotent set of tools which allow the user to modify the flow and presence of energy, either extracting it from a material via extreme endo/exothermic conversion, or by deconstruction of organic matter to its base constituents. This is used for the bionic modules and devices which, contrary to general belief, rely on the lifeforce of the user and not some mundane force such as electricity or magnetism.
-CBM (Compact Bionic Module): Possibility Travel/ An interface with the quantum sphere, this device allows the projection of the self towards a certain distance in relativeless time. In layman's terms, this pertains to teleportation.
-CBM: Lifeblood/ A bi-system interface with the health of the user, designed to show each and every effect or foreign presence in any system of the body. The other function is in projection of a personal 'shield' which wards any incoming projectile or force, but only in minor portions. It may also act as a dispenser of medical aid directly to the areas in question, given its appearance as a backpack.
-Omnitool/ Lacking any relative term, this omnipotent device is translucent in color, taking a light orange hue, and appears as a gauntlet on the arm. It may become any utilitarian weapon or tool as stated in its manual of use.
-Restorative Field Projector/ Referencing a tent or portable shelter, this disc-like device creates a miniature dome, which acts one and the same in terms of amenities granted, sans any tangible object, and a place to rest in.
-SI Interface/ A Symbiotic Interface could probably be analogous to a companion AI, however it is but a general term for an interface wherein
-Iridium-lined Locket/ Around the user's neck lies a simple gilded locket. Snakelike details weave around the oval, ending at a small clasp marking the opening of the pendant. Inside is a holographic  image of a handsome, strapping young man in his early 30's with azure-tinted eyes and a chiseled figure.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:16:31 am by Tiruin »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 09:12:06 am »

Name: Wilkins
Schtick: a practical, rather boring man who enjoys philately and numismatics.
Group: Psychic
Kit:
- Instant camera plus an unreasonably high amount of self-developing film
- Small house on the outskirts of a fairly boring town
- Collection of unusual coins and stamps
- An expansive photo album
- A well-kept and ironed three-piece suit
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 09:25:34 am by Harry Baldman »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 09:16:10 am »

Sorry about City of Secrets... I got a bad case of stage fright. I'm starting this one so I could do an RTD that's easy to keep up and always interesting.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 10:02:27 am »

Name: -currently unnamed-
Summary: Intelligent Fox kit with magic capabilities
Crew: Gnostic
Kit:
     -Loving family: Has a loving, though not intelligent, fox family.
     -Mute, but not deaf: foxes can't talk!
     -Badlands knowledge: has spent its entire, though admittedly short, life out in the badlands, and knows its way around.
     -Dawwwww: people like to help it out, because Dawwwww.

((I'm going to be very reliant on my spells in order to keep up))
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:17:57 am by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 08:17:19 pm »

name:Rafno
summary: An AI posing as a human with the prime directive of optimizing war and conflict.
Crew: Techy
Kit:
Mind reading device.
invisibility cloak
power generator
nano-tech shield
code hacker
Universal computer interface.
Laser Blaster
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:31:03 pm by Scood »
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

lamejerk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 09:45:27 pm »

Name: Bobby Goodsex
Desc: Revolver twirling, wild-eyed ladies' man. The ladies love him. He's a ladies' man.
Crew: Gunslingers
Kit:
An amount of revolvers that would be impractical to anyone else. He makes it work. Sexually excitingly good aim.
A bulletproof cowboy hat. Doesn't even dent. Nanofibers or something. It's a shield that he wears on his head.
A belt that expands to a whip-like length when he swiftly removes it from his waist. Think Granddad from The Boondocks, but a mastery like Indiana Jones. When he removes it, his pants droop just enough to drive the ladies' wild. He's a ladies' man.
Hella muscles. Dude can punch holes in walls that most people cannot punch holes in.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 09:48:08 pm by lamejerk »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 12:34:57 am »

Name: -currently unnamed-
Summary: Intelligent Fox kit with magic capabilities
Crew: Gnostic
Kit:
     -Loving family: Has a loving, though not intelligent, fox family.
     -Mute, but not deaf: foxes can't talk!
     -Badlands knowledge: has spent its entire, though admittedly short, life out in the badlands, and knows its way around.
     -Dawwwww: people like to help it out, because Dawwwww.

((I'm going to be very reliant on my spells in order to keep up))
((I'd love to let you know that playing something along the lines of a kitsune was my second thought xD))

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 10:07:07 am »

(Note: I'll be using random generators I constructed for a lot of this. So prepare for some weird shit.)
You wake up as the bus goes over a pothole. In a bus in the Badlands, a pothole's the least of your troubles. As you look up, you see there's only about six other people on the bus, and gee do they look like weirdos. The bus slows to a complete halt at a rusted out bus stop. You join the line to head out. There's an old Mark-3 (Way outdated) bus service droid at the wheel, yellow paint completely gone revealing rusted metal, with the strange new addition of scrap-metal spikes. It beeps, holds out it's hand, and asks you for payment. You give it the last dollar you have. It nods then opens the door, allowing you to step out.

You are in some deadbeat town in the middle of nowhere. Everyone in town's jabbering at each other, so obviously this is one of those towns where everyone knows each other. It's also one of those towns, because everyone looks at you and draws their weapons. They're not ready to fight you just yet, but you get the feeling if you step wrong then no-one's going to be friendly.

You have a feeling it's going to be one of those days.

Spoiler: Aira B. Aroge (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ace Upton (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bobby Goodsex (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fox (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rafno (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sumsare (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wilikins (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:41:30 am by Fniff »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 01:52:43 pm »

That can't be right. A town full of hostile, heavily-armed inhabitants? How unlikely, indeed.

In fact, they probably are actually completely normal career-minded individuals with families to feed and bills to pay, and they're just waving at us, as they are happy to see us.

Yes, that must be the truth. So it shall be.

Normalize inhabitants with do-anything powers.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:57:04 pm by Harry Baldman »

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 03:26:24 pm »

This scenario is non-optimal. Ideal, conditions require distrust between opponent faction. Puts up nano-tech shield and invisibility cloak, then walks among the lines and pulls the trigger of one of the villagers's weapons while aiming it at another villager
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 04:08:04 pm »

Giggle profusely, then put up the hood of my cloak and slowly creep away. Stand off to the side of the confrontation and watch carefully to see if anyone notices.

Ohboyohboyohboy, time for some fuuuun!~

---

Spell: Emotional Rollercoaster. You can cause someone to feel the opposite of their current emotions for one turn. People who wish to violently murder you now love you like a sister, while people who are actually your sibling now want to violently murder you.

((Heh. That seems redundant.  :P))

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: [1] 2 3