Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 48

Author Topic: Treebanned: Gremlin-Hunting!  (Read 64547 times)

LegendaryWoodBurner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Treebanned: Camp Goblin - Worst Summer Camp Ever
« Reply #240 on: October 19, 2013, 01:48:28 pm »

I agree, we should break the ice and get comfortable. we also need to learn as much about them while giving away as little as possible about us. These people seem nice but we probably should be careful.

Also we just found out we're one of the last humans, cool. Though that does make remaining anonymous much harder.

speedyth

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting retarded ideals since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 19, 2013, 01:50:40 pm »

Quote from: Detoxicated on Today at 10:12:10 am

This reeks of trap. I say we just talk with them. Where they are from. What are they doing here? Why the disguises? Also play some tunes on the ocarina. Do not let them look through your stuff, do NOT tell them about the book. Show them the basic magic book if the discussion leads to magic.

+1
+1

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 19, 2013, 02:29:29 pm »

Also we just found out we're one of the last humans, cool. Though that does make remaining anonymous much harder.
Well the old lady does well enough in disguise, guess we could try the same, alias, new look ect ect.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 20, 2013, 12:11:58 pm »

You introduce yourself carefully as Jeffrey, and try to turn the conversation away from you.

"What are you doing here? Why the disguises?"

Pearl says, "Just trying to get by. It's easier fooling these goblins than it is living in the woods eating roots and berries." Claire shrugs. Pearl continues, "Well Claire has wilderness survival skills. Her folk survived the Fair because they were out of town, and they kept themselves going over the years."

You pull out the deck of cards and start shuffling, hoping it looks really cool and casual. You do that trick where the stack of cards zips one by one in a stream from one hand to the other. You ask Charlotte, "Alright, what's your story?" Charlotte clears her throat, nods to Pearl. Pearl says, "Her folk were the crew of an exploration vessel that returned after the Fair."

"And since you're probably wondering at this point, Claire and Charlotte can't speak. Their voices were stolen by a demented wizard who squats in his mansion in the valley to the west like some obscene toad. I rescued them and took them in as my daughters."

"So," Pearl returns to her original question, "where are you from?"

Spoiler: Inventory: 20/20 (click to show/hide)

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 20, 2013, 12:25:32 pm »

"I'm not really *from* anywhere. I've traveled for as long as I can remember, in large part anyway."

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 20, 2013, 12:52:08 pm »

I like your post, just want to give an alternative route
"One day I woke up in a shed, without any memory of my past, besides the memory of my name. I began wandering the world with a strange lust for fame and glory. Being quite talented, I began as a musician roaming the countryside. Then I found myself in this camp, after some days in wilderness."

LegendaryWoodBurner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 20, 2013, 01:40:59 pm »

One question as well.

What was The Fair?

sounds pretty horrible to me, was that when all the humans died?

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 20, 2013, 02:56:59 pm »

What was The Fair?
+1, could just be honest-ish and say we were probably with a dryad when that happened and only recently started wandering the area with no memory of anything before other than our name.
Edit: Should get that wizards name in case we ever run into him.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 20, 2013, 03:02:01 pm »

I don't dislike the story, but if what we tell her is true - we should be able to tell her a LOT about our wanderings and the state of the world - and we can't, and she'll likely catch us in a lie.  Now, it's an innocent lie, but she's going to have to decide what kind of lie it is, and she'll -know- that we'll lie, and that we're the sort of liar who is willing to make lies that are easily identified as lies.  She might be 'wise' enough to know that doesn't mean we're dangerous or not - or she might think we're more of a problem because we're stupid enough to blatantly lie to her.

So I propose to tell her this, which fits into what she has said about the world (and if she is lying, puts us into an interesting situation with her, but one I can see a way out of for us if needed):

"I wonder if a demented wizard or something stole my memory.  I woke up in the woods not far from here only a couple of days ago, and I can't really remember anything from before then."

What was The Fair?
+1, could just be honest-ish and say we were probably with a dryad when that happened and only recently started wandering the area with no memory of anything before other than our name.
Edit: Should get that wizards name in case we ever run into him.
+1  But lets not mention the dryad yet.  Dryads might be known for doing what was done to us - and there could be more to the story.  Telling her about the dryad might tell her more about us than we know about ourself - and we're not ready for that, are we?  We can tell her about the dryad after we've decided if we want to, right?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 20, 2013, 03:08:03 pm »

I concede to your point Imp, we should't mention the dryad yet, +1 to the other stuff as well.

LegendaryWoodBurner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 20, 2013, 03:08:56 pm »

Agreed, let's just tell her we woke up in the forest a few days ago with our memory gone and have been wandering since. Best at this point to just speak in half-truths rather than full out lies or the full truth. After that we'll ask her about The Fair and the Wizard.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:27:22 pm by LegendaryWoodBurner »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 20, 2013, 03:25:43 pm »

Nice, this is a lot better. Telling about the dryad might get us in trouble.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 20, 2013, 03:44:10 pm »

Nice, this is a lot better. Telling about the dryad might get us in trouble.

It might help too - but we don't have to guess blindly.  We can wait and decide to tell/ask her about it directly or indirectly at a later time - the way things are going it seems possible that we're going to have later times.

Frankly, she's let us see enough of her secrets that she might not be willing to 'let us go' if things go badly.  She could be a safe and gentle person, willing to risk her own safety and her adopted mute daughters' safety on the chance of us 'failing her tests of "are you the sort of person I want to trust"' and still letting us walk away - but it's far, far better to pass those tests, whether we later choose to walk away or choose to keep interacting with her in some fashion.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 21, 2013, 01:19:06 pm »

"I don't know," you lie, "I woke up in the woods a few days ago and I've been wandering ever since." You continue truthfully, "Someone might have stolen my memory."

They seem sympathetic.

"What is this Fair you keep talking about?" you ask.

Pearl answers, "From what we've heard, this area was a colony or outpost. Or it was bigger but declined. We're not sure. Anyway, at some point there was just one big city around here called Stachura, down by the coast. You'll reach it if you follow the river down through the valley."

"Some years ago their calendars ran up to a millennium, and they had a Millennial Fair. It was a religious and official holiday. Everyone came into town from the countryside. Ships stayed in port, merchants remained to trade, and soldiers took leave to carouse. It was a time of peace and prosperity. But something terrible happened and everyone turned to stone. They're still standing in the streets as they were that fateful day. Babes in their mothers' arms. A man eating an apple." Tears well up in her eyes.

"Almost everyone died. But some were not in Stachura." She gestures toward Claire, "Some mountain-men and rangers, and their families, were abroad at the time." Her hand moves toward Charlotte, "And some ships were yet at sea." She wrings her hands together on her knees. "But over time, the scattered remnants of humanity died out. All at once our candle-flame was snuffed. And in the darkness, in that void, the goblins and trolls and gremlins and everything else flourished."

"This is why we must trust each other and work together. There are not many of us left. And perhaps there is yet some hope that we can bring those people back and reverse this calamity."

At this, Claire's brow furrows and the corners of Charlotte's mouth turn down. Evidently they have less hope of this than Pearl.

Spoiler: Inventory: 20/20 (click to show/hide)

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 21, 2013, 01:39:33 pm »

"Do any of you have magical knowledge that may potentially be able to fix the people some day? Or are you just playing at being a witch? And the town? I'm guessing Stachura has been thoroughly looted by now, right?"

Pause for a second. "This is all alot to take in. I'm going to need some time to process..."

Remember the book in your inventory. "I had this when I came around the other day. Are any of the goblins here good with locks?"
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 48