Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 48

Author Topic: Treebanned: Gremlin-Hunting!  (Read 64474 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Treebanned: Down at da river.
« Reply #165 on: October 16, 2013, 07:33:37 pm »

Trying to act non-threatening, you say, "My name's Jeffery. I was wandering around here, and found your village. Do you have any spare food or water you're able to afford giving to a weary traveler?"

They huddle together whispering to each other. Occasionally one will peek out of the huddle at you and dive back in. They break. This only took a few seconds.

The little guy speaks. "Do you have any ... value-ables to trade?

Spoiler: Inventory: 16/20 (click to show/hide)

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 16, 2013, 07:37:35 pm »

Offer the ocarina.
"Not much, though I do have one thing that might be worth something."
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

LegendaryWoodBurner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 16, 2013, 07:38:48 pm »

"Well of course dear fellow! see this here!" pull the amber vial from our backpack "This here is a miracle elixer! Certain to cure all aches, pains, and injuries you could sustain! why just a drop would make any creature more virile and stronger than they could ever imagine"

I assume if these creatures are like Nah, all they will care about is gold. I'm banking on the fact these creature don't seem too bright, so why not con them out of a bit of food? they seem like thay have plenty.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:44:37 pm by LegendaryWoodBurner »

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 16, 2013, 07:41:24 pm »

"Well of course dear fellow! see this here!" pull the amber vial from our backpack "This here is a miracle elixer! Certain to cure all aches, pains, and injuries you could sustain! why just a drop would make any creature more virile and stronger than they could ever imagine

I assume if these creatures are like Nah, all they will care about is gold. I'm banking on the fact these creature dont seem to bright, so why not con them out of a bit of food? they seem like thay have plenty.
+1, offer the boot or deck of cards under similar advertisement? (Edit: eg: "Enchanted so the owner always wins card games if he plays in a dark room" or "If you fill this boot with stones then bury it and leave it for a year the contents turn into gold, I have no use for it due my life as a traveler meaning I can't stay near enough to guard it.", if they are dumb they might just buy crap like that. Or go for something more believable)

Offer the ocarina.
"Not much, though I do have one thing that might be worth something."

-1, maybe if they dont go for the vial, boot or deck of cards, the orcania could be used to preform for money/goods if we practice enough.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:54:44 pm by Cain12 »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 16, 2013, 08:07:39 pm »

"Absolutely.  I am a bard, and have many fine stories to trade.  The better I am plied, the better the tales I'll tell."

We may be dancing a fine line with this.  To them, I'd hazard that we're scary, but they're many.  They can see one weapon, we're talking and they're talking back a little - offering to much or to little could be bad.  We haven't even looked at those cards; heck for all we know that boot's missing mate became Baba Yaga's hut, and this one's got the same potential once we understand a few more words of magic.

I'd sooner we directly attacked them with intent to kill than offered them that unknown potion.  To many unknowns.

And if they understand the value of something we show them, and it's way over what they think the value of the food is, why clearly we're a fool and attacking us sooner or later will seem better and better.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

LegendaryWoodBurner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 16, 2013, 08:15:26 pm »

The bard shtick might work, unfortunately much of the world of the bard was historical tales and popular folk songs of which we know none. Infact we don't know anything about this world (beyond what we've seen so far), or what we might sing or tell tales about. We could just make it up of course (if rather poorly), but bards were typically expected to be more than just weavers of tales. They were expected to be oral historians, remembering important happenings and history through song and storytelling. Unforunately due to our amnesia it may be difficult to make a convincing bard. Also i'm sure we cant play the ocarina worth a damn, we only just got the thing. Then again these guys seem like idiots so they might not notice our inadequecies.

I still prefer being a snake-oil salesman untill we're able to learn more about playing the ocarina and the history of this world to make a convincing bard.

Edit: Plus with that magical reference book we have we could just spout out some magicky sounding BS to scare them into thinking we're a wizard if they threaten us, that should probably scare them away. If it doesn't, well, we crafted that spear for something.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:18:30 pm by LegendaryWoodBurner »

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 16, 2013, 08:21:03 pm »

Have to agree with WoodBurner, if we knew enough to be a bard it would have been my first choice, if this goes well we should try to get a drunken folk song out of these people.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 16, 2013, 09:14:38 pm »

Gosh those things look creepy. Oh well, not like I was getting any sleep tonight anyway.

"Well of course dear fellow! see this here!" pull the amber vial from our backpack "This here is a miracle elixer! Certain to cure all aches, pains, and injuries you could sustain! why just a drop would make any creature more virile and stronger than they could ever imagine"

I assume if these creatures are like Nah, all they will care about is gold. I'm banking on the fact these creature don't seem too bright, so why not con them out of a bit of food? they seem like thay have plenty.

+1, though perhaps be prepared to deal with them should they see through our deceptions, they may know more about the amber liquid than we do, as unlikely as it seems
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

speedyth

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting retarded ideals since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 16, 2013, 09:29:25 pm »

-1 to being dishonest to the creatures in offering to sell "Snake oil" (doing things like this tends to come and bite us in the butt later.) This might also possibly be the reason why our ex-lover kicked us out of the tree. I would prefer to ask them if they know about "Nah". If my hunch that they are trolls is right, telling them about Nah would be quite valuable to them.

LegendaryWoodBurner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 16, 2013, 09:50:01 pm »

Trust me I don't feel right about it either, and it probably will bite us in the butt later. We have to consider the situation at hand though

We honestly have nothing remotely valuable to trade for the food so unless we're willing to kill these guys and pillage their corpse for it, or bully them away and steal it (quite possibly condemning them to starvation) this is the kindest way I see of going about this.

It's either this or die a slow death of dehydration in my mind. I really don't see any other way as most creatures in this world seem to care only for gold and treasure with no regard for kindness and compassion. We can't just ask for a handout because I'm fairly sure they won't give us one. I'm willing to compromise my morals a little and accept the future consequences to get some food and drink in us, we've already gone almost a day and a half without either so we're halfway in the grave as it is. With the river dry, who knows when we next find a source of food and drink?

Mentioning Nah won't hurt though, though Nah did mention the trolls were upriver and these creatures are decidedly downriver near the town. I don't think these are the trolls, Nah seems too clever to get in debt with this type of people and they're on the wrong end of the river. Trolls would also have to be pretty vicious if people are more willing to let the river run dry than to go deal with them, these folks don't seem harmful in the slightest.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:45:33 pm by LegendaryWoodBurner »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 16, 2013, 10:59:47 pm »

I'd like to point out that we can probably try multiple ways of trading, should the first fail.  As such, I still hope we try the 'cheapest', the bard method, first  :P
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

LegendaryWoodBurner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 16, 2013, 11:43:45 pm »

I agree, the bard method is definitely something we should aspire to become skilled in as soon as possible, I just don't think we have enough skill or knowledge to carry it out right now.

We should make it a point to learn as much folk-songs and tales from these folk as possible. We should also make sure to start practicing the ocarina as soon as we get on the road again.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 16, 2013, 11:45:05 pm »

We need to eat and drink somehow, if they have that kind of food they might be well off enough to get by and the bard method relies on info and skill we dont have right now.
We could mention Nah to them seeing as they aren't trolls (probably), but don't go giving up his location, or letting them know we know it, least not yet, he is currently one of our few sources of magic that we know of. Those guys haven't introduced themselves yet, should get their names at some point.
We should make idle chat about the river and trolls or just the general area if we get them trusting/calm enough to do so, seems like we need to deal with it eventually if we want water without having to sell our few belongings.

I agree, the bard method is definitely something we should aspire to become skilled in as soon as possible, I just don't think we have enough skill or knowledge to carry it out right now.

We should make it a point to learn as much folk-songs and tales from these folk as possible. We should also make sure to start practicing the ocarina as soon as we get on the road again.
+1

speedyth

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting retarded ideals since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 17, 2013, 09:15:54 am »

Brad idea if fine by me. If it means we do not sell snake oil to the creatures I give my wholehearted approval. Also, I even have an idea of for our first song/story. we should compose a story about how we were kicked out of our lover's home. when we make enough gold to purchase spellbooks, we should begin our training as a mage.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 17, 2013, 11:28:42 am »

You offer to perform. The derpy one with the jug seems excited - "A story! A story!" - but the little guy is a bit more hard-nosed. "You gotta hab- SNIFF", he wipes his nose on his sleeve, "You gotta have somethin' worth somethin'!"

You offer the amber vial, expounding on its magical and medicinal properties. Their eyes get really big and they crowd around to get a good look. Then they huddle up again briefly, and the little spokesman comes forward with three sausages and a round loaf of bread, and what's left in the jug (a decent hefty amount sloshing around in there, maybe two or three pints). Probably would make three decent meals, or six if you ration it carefully.

They look at you expectantly.

Spoiler: Inventory: 16/20 (click to show/hide)

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 48