Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 219325 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Save scumming?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Eh, go ahead and post it. Savescumming is difficult because the game autosaves very frequently, so that usually by the time you know something went wrong you can't go back far enough.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Simon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Damn, you guys are creative.

Well I guess it IS savescumming, you simply quit the game (Alt + F4) right at the moment you're about to receive a deathblow to one of your chars (quickly enough so he/she doesn't "finish" his/her turn dying). You run the game once more, hit continue, and the monster that was to deliver the killing blow is skipped. Continue ad nauseam.

Found out about it when I ragequit some time ago. Tried it out few more times, the skipping only occurs when one of your chars is about to be killed via force or stress. You probably meant this. 

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Huh. Every time I tried to Alt+F4 the game and reload, I got a corrupted save file, or one that restarts after the effect.

Seems way simpler to just savescum on a per mission basis. If the mission is fucked, reload, start the day over again. For Short/Medium runs, it's only about 20 minutes wasted.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I kind of hope the town events release spices up the darkest dungeon.  Wouldn't be the first time they patch things throughly after adding them. Consider the revamp corpses underwent.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

Lost one of my two kickass lepers and Dismas to the brigand 12-pounder. Misclicked and attacked the wrong bandit with my arbalest, leaving the matchman alive at the end of the round. Cannon got a shot off, knocking Dismas and Neland the leper into death's door, and the brigand shotgunner's aoe managed to pick off both Leperbro and Dismas as I couldn't afford to waste two turns of dps to heal them both with my arbalest. Also lost some nice trinkets. Had to back out before a total party wipe since my party was heavily reliant on proper positioning and my arbalest in rank two can't do shit.

Uuuuuuuugh. Losing that leper hurts me emotionally. I'd grown fond of him, and his fellow leper. Both of them were from the same batch of recruits. The two of them were always in the same party, killing evil side by bandage-covered side. Watched them grow from lvl 0 peasants to lvl 4 masters. Rest in leprous pieces, Neland. Leperbro Osmont will miss you.

Shame I lost Dismas too. Guess I won't be getting that achievement in this save file.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think that my first party is ready for the DD soon. The party will consist a vestal [58% heal skills], 2 lepers [1x recovery charm on both of them, but they need a couple of better quirks before venturing forth to the DD] + X [I guess it will be either a BH or a HM]. This setup steamrolled all of l5 dungeons so easily heh....so DD can't be that hard for them either.  :D

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

A word of warning: the first boss of the DD is called the shuffling horror for a reason.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Sweet Jesus, I cannot advise you strongly enough against bringing Lepers to the first mission.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

Sweet Jesus, I cannot advise you strongly enough against bringing Lepers to the first mission.
A word of warning: the first boss of the DD is called the shuffling horror for a reason.

Assuming the shuffling horror is called shuffling because it shuffles parties, I would think lepers would be bad since they can't do anything unless they're in the first two ranks. So if they get moved hen that's wasted turns moving back.

Unless you're suggesting lepers since they have high move resist.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

I'm suggesting no Lepers, to be clear.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

I'm suggesting no Lepers, to be clear.
Oh. Misread your earlier post. I english good.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile

I just installed the new patch. Forget about the Antiquarian, the Highwayman got buffed into a new level of holy crap.

Now to mention that Dismas had crit quirk, melee crit quirk and unholy slayer (which he lost after the run), duelist advance had him turn the entire enemies into dust. That'll teach em to try to focus on him.

In fact pair him with the antiquarian, and you'll double the chance to get ripostes with protect me.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

I just installed the new patch. Forget about the Antiquarian, the Highwayman got buffed into a new level of holy crap.
I got a highwayman off the stagecoach (this is the version before antiquarian patch) that had the slugger perk that gives +15% melee damage and his camping skill unparalleled finesse, which gives dodge, speed, and damage and accuracy to his melee attacks for 4 fights. Made a melee based build with wicked slice, open vein, duelist's advance, and tracking shot for a self buff and to let him do (chip) damage to back ranks. Works pretty good aside from being limited to targeting the first two ranks for his two main dps attacks (open vein and wicked slice).

Simon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not sure if anyone's still playing this (you probably are, you creepy masochist bastards), but the Antiquarian update from approx. a week ago was kinda awesome:
- New Class: Antiquarian!
- New Stage Coach upgrade tree: higher level heroes to recruit!
- Quest Rewards: Heirloom type is no longer tied to each region. Instead, a random heirloom reward is generated for each individual quest.
- Heirloom Exchange: trade heirlooms in town! You lose a little in each trade, but this is a quick fix to get that upgrade you really need.
- reduced deed costs in blacksmith

Since then a couple of hotfixes tweaked some minor issues, but c'mon, this is big. You sure can't say the devs don't listen to the peepz.

Now let's give this another soul-breaking, heart-attack-inducing try.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 101