Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 219237 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

The occultist is amazing. Until his Wyrd Reconstruction heals 0 damage three times in a row, and then you're in a tough spot :D

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

The occultist is amazing. Until his Wyrd Reconstruction heals 0 damage three times in a row, and then you're in a tough spot :D
RNG is RNG. By which I mean RNG is a cold cruel bitch with a grudge who loves to see you suffer.

For example, I just had a short novice mission in the ruins with a straightforward map layout that had 3 walls in it. 3 walls. In a short mission with no alternative paths. It's made me paranoid enough to buy at least 3 shovels no matter how long the mission is.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

TBH, I'd almost rather have the Occultists potentially insane crit heals and good top-end heals than the Vestal's tepid heals that can barely keep up with a crit.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Yeah, Occultist heals are the only ones really worth it on their own. If I run a Vestal these days, it's usually with an Arbalest and some Heals Received trinkets around the party, plus the Sacred Scroll on the Vestal. In that kind of situation she can keep people topped up while being reliable (she can do a meaningful, if not great, full-party heal), and the Arbalest can buff healing rates on a particular party member when things go to shit or enemy fire gets focused.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

I feel like RNGesus is to DD what GABEN is to Tf2. Loved by some, hated by others, but everyone admits one thing: he does keep things interesting,.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

Fought the shambler for the first time. Went ahead and beat the novice level mission first, then backtracked to the altar when I saw the party was still in good condition. Hard fight. Lost an occultist. He reached death's door, had a resolve check, became fearful, and next turn he took an "insane" action, begged to be released from this torment or something along those lines, and hurt himself. Self-inflicted deathblow. ;_;7

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Got 1,500 gold and some ancestral map trinket that increases scouting and trap disarm chance by 25%. Not sure if that was worth a level 1 occultist with lvl 1 gear. Graveyard attributes occultist's death to "an ally".
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 06:47:01 pm by Spehss _ »
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

IIRC I got a flask from that fight. +10% stress damage but +25% max hp, which is pretty nice for sticking on my frontliners.

Also stupidly lost one of my favourite graverobbers. Was doing the veteran hag and it was the third fight I think in the run, against the usual giant/witch/dog combo, was doing pretty okish but the confusion spores put her in the first spot, she then got critted in the face and went from 2/3ds to deaths door. Ok, my occultist is gonna heal her next turn, just gotta keep the giant busy 'till then. So I tried to stun him, but failed. Then just before it was the occultists turn he throws down fucking poison spores and kills her. I have another graverobber ready, but it's just not the same :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Got 1,500 gold and some ancestral map trinket that increases scouting and trap disarm chance by 25%. Not sure if that was worth a level 1 occultist with lvl 1 gear. Graveyard attributes occultist's death to "an ally".
I would say it was worth it. You can recruit another Occultist, and if you don't like the map, Ancestral trinkets sell for more than enough to upgrade gear to level 1, and probably pay for the stress relief on the survivors.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

I checked the wiki on shamblers and apparently they are guaranteed to drop 1 of 4 ancestral trinkets. Only 1 of each ancestral trinket can be kept in the player's trinket stash, no duplicates. So if all 4 are acquired from shamblers they won't drop any more of the trinkets. Not sure if I could get another map trinket to replace the one I'd sell. And I do like scouting, so it could be useful.

Is there any reason to beat the bosses now? It seems that the end goal of the game is the darkest dungeon, so aside from the trinket drops from beating the bosses, it seems you could just as well complete non-boss missions to train up heroes and get resources (gold and heirlooms) for sending them into the darkest dungeon.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

I think boss runs tend to generate more loot than normal runs on average. I THINK. Also they're just fun
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

I just had a novice mission in the weald. Clear 100% of room battles. Went to the room connected to the starting room. Won the battle. Bam, mission complete.

That was underwhelming. Needless to say I'm going to loot the place.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

He says before a series of hallway fights, ending in the Collector, roflstomp his party.

or at least that's what would happen to me, maybe your luck is better

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

About halfway through the Veteran bosses so far. Swine King was stupid easy with a HM and GR dodging. Guard Dog is such a great skill. Necromancer was pretty much just as easy as he was on Apprentice when you sport enough back rank damage. Prophet was sort of easy due to several lucky dodges on his Predictions. Siren wasn't bad although having your own Helion buff up then swing on you is pretty scary.

Hag for some reason really gave me trouble though. That stupid pot takes two to three hits on average without Level 4 Gear and Skills. The fight drug on and on and on because I'd only get a chance to hurt her every other turn when I maxed out on damage or critted the pot. If she'd used her healing move more, I would have been hosed. Then again, getting your face Tenderized every round right as your guy comes out of the pot is bad too. Even with damage trinkets I can't seem to get that pot down in 1 hit unless it's a crit.

Not looking forward to the Flesh and the Crew. Flesh can be randomly obnoxious with the right combos of heals, stuns and damage, while the crew basically requires you kill the chain holder in one turn or he heals to full, which leads you to sometimes waste actions because you can't possible kill it or do anything else useful that turn. It's slightly less worse than the Hag because at least you can dodge or resist your way out of the attack. We'll see though. My damage parties are starting to get really strong. I haven't taken two healers in forever. Junia's Head + Book of Sanity or what have you makes the Occultist godly, and the Vestal pretty decent at higher levels. I suspect the Brigand 16 Pounder might be kind kinda nasty too if the Matchman is all beefy.

Had a fun first fight against the Crew. Man At Arms had been getting hammered the whole level, got Resolve Tested during the fight. Busts out with Powerful. The Crew keeps trying to anchor him, and he just keeps shouting like "I will not fall for your darkness!" You just get a warm fuzzy when you actually get a Virtue during a boss fight.

I have to make myself drag a Jester along on missions. I'm just not impressed. Solo/Finale leaves him really exposed, and you can't really buff his damage that well. The Bleeds are ok but Blight is just straight up better damage, faster. The stress heal is about all I find him useful for. So when you're down to the bottom of the barrel trying to get a boss fight completed before you level past it, and you take the Jester, it's a pretty big hit to your DPS. His miraculous dodging just never seems to pay out when I need it to and he's one bad crit away from serially fucked without a big heal. I'd rather have a Grave Robber.

And speaking of GR...I used to poo-poo her but man, Thrown Dagger is just nuts. Between its base damage, accuracy buff and crit rating, it's like the strongest ranged attack in the game short of Arbalest buffed crits. The damage is so good I rarely use the Blight Darts. They simply don't keep up in damage, not even over several turns. She pretty much puts the Highwaymen to shame.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 06:57:33 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Owwww dat cruel RNG!  :D ..on the other hand my level 4 occultist healed 32 on my Crusader who was at Death's Door. Basically he saved the whole party.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I've been going through the Backer Trinket's list....some of these things are pretty broken. Like "bonus, bonus, bonus, -20% Trap Disarm in Position 1" or "Bonus bonus bonus, -10% Monsters Surprised/Bleed/Move/Blight/Stun Resist While Camping." There's 297 of them and using certain combinations you can basically get to stuff like +46% Heal or +30% Damage or +10% Crit with pretty much trivial penalties. Some of the ability combinations don't even make sense as they're described. What would "-3 SPD vs. Marked" even mean? Or "+50% Food Consumed On The First Round."

Also there are some trinkets which radically reduce Resolve XP. Like the "Necronomicon" (+26% Heal, +4 SPD, -48% Resolve XP.)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 07:08:46 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 101