Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 219226 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

why would bringing the necro-omnomnomicon into the darkest dungeon be the objectively correct choice
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 06:55:49 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I pulled out 43 trinkets which are either brokenly good or reasonably helpful. The stats aren't too awesome due to Kickstarter trinkets being ranked around the Green Level, but, combining several good trinkets you can get more or less the same benefits as Very Rares without having to use a Tome of Sanity or what have you to counteract the stress damage.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I beat the crew with stunstacking and dodge, delaying the anchor as long as possible. 

The first time I played the tier 2 crew though we got fucked up.  Nobody died but only because it was so obvious so quickly that we had no chance I was able to run away before things got too bad.
Shoes...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Is the anchor really that bad at veteran?

My first try went horribly on apprentice but I was rather unprepared and had no idea what was waiting for me. But second time around I just let my frontline Leper tank the anchor while still applying hew every chance he got, the rest just kinda focused the mass of bodies or occasionally healed someone who needed it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

The anchor is 5hp on every character's turn, so like 30 hp per round.  If you've got a very high damage party you can probably outdo it, but with all the other things they can do it's easy to get off balance and never really get back up.
Shoes...

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile

Almost lost to the hag because I did not expect the pot to be a size 2, and had mostly melee fighters, ouch. Still killed her with all 4 heroes on death door. I can understand why everyone hates her, she's in fact the most nimble annoying enemy I met so far.

By the way, I installed the valentine mod, anyone else tried it and found the new trinket it features?

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I've been going through the Backer Trinket's list....some of these things are pretty broken. Like "bonus, bonus, bonus, -20% Trap Disarm in Position 1" or "Bonus bonus bonus, -10% Monsters Surprised/Bleed/Move/Blight/Stun Resist While Camping." There's 297 of them and using certain combinations you can basically get to stuff like +46% Heal or +30% Damage or +10% Crit with pretty much trivial penalties. Some of the ability combinations don't even make sense as they're described. What would "-3 SPD vs. Marked" even mean? Or "+50% Food Consumed On The First Round."

Also there are some trinkets which radically reduce Resolve XP. Like the "Necronomicon" (+26% Heal, +4 SPD, -48% Resolve XP.)

Just you know, those trinkets are in a way cheats and are not balanced, and also they dont drop  in game, so the only way to get them is to use the code.

Anyway, some anime action:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:08:23 pm by ragnar119 »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyway, some anime action:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think your image is borked. It didn't work for me until I opened the link in another tab.

Pretty stark contrast between the two art styles.

I dont know, it works for me without problems

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

I imagine they've disabled hotlinking. If you clear your browser's cache of images and suchlike, it'll probably break for you.

EDIT: The fix, by the way, is to never link directly to an image you find on the internet. Instead, upload a copy to an image hosting service and link to that. It's more polite, more reliable, and longer-lasting.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 02:05:05 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's also just considered polite. Smaller sites that get linked to larger sites can get swamped with traffic due to a hotlinked image and can cause them all sorts of problems.

Just you know, those trinkets are in a way cheats and are not balanced, and also they dont drop  in game, so the only way to get them is to use the code.

I'm aware of that. But I believe the idea is to put them into full rotation eventually, and they need to actually be looked over and adjusted before that happens. Because in their current state many are just silly (or like, the values assigned to the trinket traits are completely silly. Like +20 Stun Resist for -5 Crit, -4 SPD and some other shit that makes it completely not worth it compared to a common, vanilla game trinket.)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 05:57:33 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mehh to much work to link one picture for a lazy bastard like me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This game....

So I've hit level 5 in most of my roster except for 1 party still leveling to catch the bosses I missed along the way. I put the tank in stress treatment so he's fresh for the last boss fight in Veteran.

I run a Champion Dungeon even though a) I don't have level 5 weapons and b) I can barely afford level 5 armor and skills for the party that's going in. That shit is insanely expensive.

So I do a Med Warrens Champion run. It's total balls. Minimum of 2 enemy crits per combat. The fucking Butcher Pig crits with pretty much every single mace ball to the face. Single Vestal healing has the party at mid life for most of the dungeon. Vestal and Bounty Hunter go Hopeless and Irrational, Leper pulls through with Focused, Helion is right on the brink.

I finish the dungeon. And my lower level tank for next week? Declares he needs to stay and pray some more.

So since I've been save scumming I experiment. I load up a party of Level 5s and retreat them from the dungeon immediately.

The tank is still praying.

I do the same thing again for the next week.

I do the same thing again for the next week.

SO. Even though I advance three fucking weeks and take 20 stress on 4 guys each, the game does not play by the rules it's put forth. Week goes by: shit in town happens. This "Oh sorry, you must run % of a dungeon before a real week passes" crap is bullshit. The game sticks me in this position and then refuses to budge until I throw my undergeared guys who I can't afford to upgrade into a dungeon. I can't recruit anymore guys to throw into a lowbie dungeon either.

This. Fucking. Game.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

I gotta be honest - that's one of the best reasons not to run a consistently-leveled roster*. Which, incidentally, is bullshit - the game tries to encourage exactly what you're doing. Honestly, I'm half sure mine is a strategy that just never occurred to the devs, or I'm sure it'd have a kludged-in nerf. Maybe high-level folks get stress from waiting in town while low-level schmucks get all the glory or something inane like that. I dunno. The game is torn between two competing design goals. The short of it is, it's impossible to have a high-risk high-reward game like their atmosphere is so clearly trying to promote, and a game that demands careful, cautious, and above all optimal choices. They've wound up with a game that tells you how to play and kicks you in the balls when you do, so the best option is to try and cheat the system before the devs patch it out.

If you aren't having fun, I'd say quit, do something else. At this point I'm only in it because I want to hear the narration for the final missions and there's only 2 of those left.

*It's biting my ass come Darkest Dungeon, since it means I have to level up a fresh group for every mission, but at least I was able to get there to have that problem.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you aren't having fun, I'd say quit, do something else. At this point I'm only in it because I want to hear the narration for the final missions and there's only 2 of those left.

I'm pretty much at that point. I'd like to see the DD but at this point it's going to be an uphill battle to get there unless I scrap my whole roster and grind another ~10 hours to get them all leveled again.

I may just scrap the current game and wait until Town Events go in before I attempt it again. It's like, it's not impossible for me to finish. It just feels like all the careful work I've put in so far has been ultimately for nothing; I could have just thrown my guys willy nilly into dungeons for the last 30 hours and be at about the same place. At least in another playthrough I can do things differently but, meh, I've got to finish FO4 and get XCOM2 and that's honestly sounding more fun that another battle of wills with DD.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 101