Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 219200 times)

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think equipment just effects how much damage the initial hit does, if any.

This is correct. DoT damage is entirely based on ability level.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Good to know! So, yeah, those guild upgrades take precedence for classes like the Plague Doctor over weapon upgrades. Trinkets that boost infliction chance are good, too. An Abomination is also a good companion to a Plague Doctor because their Blight ability also comes with a Debuff to Blight Resist (or, at least, did before the final release; haven't taken my abominations for a spin since).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

It still does apply that debuff, yes.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

I prefer the abomination/grave robber combo myself. Mostly because they both have the debuff and it stacks oh so nicely. I think I got it to 200% at one point and was taking off 20-ish damage off of the second ruins boss every turn.

And even if you do forgo weapon upgrades, armor is still a must, not only for the protection improvements but for the speed boost too. Getting off the first hit is incredibly important, especially higher on.

Which brings me to another thing, how fucking bullshit veteran is with suprising your party. Basically, it can happen at full torch, and has happened several times to me, now, if I was doing a dark run and risking it I'd be fine, but no, this is a full light run because I really hate losing my higher level people, and so far, I have not completed a single veteran run without losing at least one person. And it's the same bullshit every time, either they suprise me at full torch so I waste turns reshuffling my frontliners into place or they just keep wailing on the same poor sod way beyond the capabilities of my healers.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I hate surprise for that reason. A free turn against your party would be PLENTY, but no, you get an entire turn of wasted reshuffle actions on top of it. I love it when when my healers get moved to the front and then are cut down by monsters like they're freaking weed whackers. There's pretty much nothing you can do in that situation except grin and bear and say "oh how much fun this hardcore bullshit is."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hate surprise for that reason. A free turn against your party would be PLENTY, but no, you get an entire turn of wasted reshuffle actions on top of it. I love it when when my healers get moved to the front and then are cut down by monsters like they're freaking weed whackers. There's pretty much nothing you can do in that situation except grin and bear and say "oh how much fun this hardcore bullshit is."

Yeah I'll admit it, it bugs me too. Especially since it isn't uncommon either.

Where most games make the "annoying enemy" uncommon. Darkest Dungeon is where every enemy is the annoying enemy. :P

---

Which honestly isn't so bad... but I am kind of disappointed with how much it limits what teams are viable BECAUSE you have to plan against those strategies.

As well enemies aren't able to be disrupted as much as I think they should be either. I feel like they should be on par with your characters in terms of being reliant on their placement... but it is rare I see an enemy become anything but "just as good" no matter where they are.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:18:22 pm by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Overall I'm a little disappointed by party flexibility. Seems like you must have THIS MUCH DPS or you're pretty much doomed to a slow death later game.

But they couldn't square the desired difficulty with multiple party makeups. For just about any group to survive, the game ended up being too exploitable by pros.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

I just got a TPK against the Hag with a Lv 3 party... I think my not bringing bleed was my downfall. Still, I am finding the Veteran levels more challenging than the early levels, so I do think they just adjusted the difficulty curve.
The couple of times I've tried beating veteran level bosses, I barely got by with a party of lv3s. I think for bosses you'll want to be slightly higher leveled and better equipped than the bare minimum. Like, 3 is the minimum to reliably go on veteran level quests. So level 4 or 5 (if that level can go on veteran level missions) would be a safer bet for veteran boss fights than lvl3.

I just barely beat the veteran necromancer with a party of lvl3 that beat the novice necromancer easily. Prophet was too tough for that same party and I had to retreat.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile

Find a thing that tells me to use a torch to see into the abyss... Well that was a bad idea.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I've found the veteran bosses pretty easy.  The necromancer was tough mainly because I only had two DPS and one was crusader so he rarely had a chance to attack. 

The biggest challenge of veteran so far is getting a good synergistic party when there's so few level 3s available and it takes so long to level them up.  The religious restriction on abomination is killer, I haven't used mine in forever.
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Did you know that you have to click the shovel in the cave-in screen to use it?  And if you use it, it consumes the shovel to clear the block with no penalty?

Fuck my life.

I also lost three dudes to the brigand 12 pounder and didn't even kill it.  That fucking hurts.  Watteau, Papon, that other guy, I can never fucking replace you.
Shoes...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's been around since...the very first build, I think?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Literally nothing else in the game does that, so I never thought to click on it.  It makes the shovel slightly less stupid, it no longer feels as much like a tax on you for not buying a shovel every game, but still.
Shoes...

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

I've found the veteran bosses pretty easy.  The necromancer was tough mainly because I only had two DPS and one was crusader so he rarely had a chance to attack. 
My primary source of dps in the veteran necromancer fight was actually 2 crusaders (for the bonus damage against unholy) using holy lance, smite, and zealous accusation. Had a vestal for healing, and a jester for support to keep everyone's speed and crit chance up. Everyone was lvl3 with lvl3 gear.

It worked well until the necromancer raised two skeletons in one turn, at which point I was unable to keep the necromancer alone at the end of each turn, and damage began piling on from the skeletons getting to attack. In retrospect I think a plague doctor instead of a jester would've been better for regular damage over time against crowds.

It makes the shovel slightly less stupid, it no longer feels as much like a tax on you for not buying a shovel every game, but still.
Man, fuck walls. Most annoying feature of the game, either bring 3 or 4 shovels or have rng throw tons of walls at you, forcing you to either go around or more often than not have to take the stress damage because you just so happen to have to go through that blocked passage to clear the mission.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

The 12 pounder was bad. 

I didn't test to see hwo reinforcements work, if it summons in groups or just the one, but either way it's basically hit the lighter every single time or die.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 101