Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 219217 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

a few dozen miscreants who volunteered for the job is a small price to pay

Says Cthulhu.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

a few dozen miscreants who volunteered for the job is a small price to pay

Says Cthulhu.
probably not with any tentacled lip-smacking, though, so really there's a staggering degree of empathy on display here
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Oh I found out, the Bloody Herb trinket makes Incision crazy good, good enough to be a decent substitute for the front row poison bomb if you want more direct damage.  It hits like a truck.

There's also a man-at-arms trinket in the wagon right now that gives like 25% protection and 50% heals received as long as you're in the fourth slot.  Actually sounds pretty tantalizing.  Leper, Highwayman, Vestal, Man-at-arms.  Use guard on the highwayman and bolster on the leper to boost his accuracy and be invincible.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 01:56:36 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile

So do lower level quests eventually become unavailable, regardless of if you have low ranking people in your party? Simply due to having done those dungeons so much?
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Maybe it's just my god-awful luck, but to me the RNG seems more fond of vindictive bullshit than ever before. I dunno, but I seem to be missing far more attacks than I remember, and repeatedly failing to inflict status effects despite high odds. Special mention goes to the Bone Arbalist on my last run, which resisted two plague grenades in a row despite a 10% blight resist.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

Something I'm not too happy about right now is that I have this weird situation due to level restrictions. I have a whole bunch of level 3 decent characters who suddenly aren't permitted to go on level 1 quests anymore, but get hammered really badly on level 3 quests. I have a decent roster of 11 characters, most of them are level 3, but everybody is slowly falling apart from the stress while before I was kicking ass.

The way to proceed is obviously to get a bunch of fresh blood in and use them to make money to heal up my higher tier guys I guess. But that feels stupid. It's kind of so annoying I'm thinking of just quitting DD and forgetting about the whole thing, even though I like the game overall. I just don't want to have to game their system in order to proceed.
I (still) feel like the game would do a lot better with an xcom style system of escalating the difficulty of missions and having a loss condition.  Its already got a Long War-esque system of fatigue built into it and one that makes a lot more sense at that.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So do lower level quests eventually become unavailable, regardless of if you have low ranking people in your party? Simply due to having done those dungeons so much?

No, AFAIK.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

It's a bit annoying tho, most of the boss fights I gotta do with my lower level folk which is less than ideal at times. Still, a good comp usually doesn't have many troubles.

Unless you run into three fights in your walk to the first room of the dungeon. One of which is the fucking collector :V

Didn't lose anybody, but holy shit that took way too long and brought two folks at deaths door too. Still, the siren herself was kinda easy what with all the crits my Crusader was scoring.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Siren's a pretty easy boss.

Collector's also not that hard.  Kill the highwaymen first, they do a shitload of damage, but the rest don't really do anything.

Edit:  While we're on the subject, does anyone know if there's any loss condition at all?  The only way I can think of would be losing everybody on your first mission, before you have four per week stagecoach upgrades.

But would that actually lose the game?  Is it even possible?  Ir emember it makes you upgrade the stagecoach early on.

Overall I'm okay with the lack of a real fail state.

My biggest complaint right now is fucking crests.

Like, when I go to the warrens I expect to get portraits.  I get that crests are needed for everything so you need a lot of them but the generation is really wonky right now.  This current run of the warrens has gotten me one portrait and TWENTY crests.

Goodness, this post is getting out of hand.  If you see a Guardian Shield take it.  Man-at-Arms with Guardian SHield is basically invincible.  Take him with a Leper for the accuracy boost on Command.  Also the secret door thing is kind of dumb.  It contains Collector drops, but all the heads are unique so once you have all three you can only get Puzzling Trapezohedrons.  So it's basically a random chance for like 7500 gold, as if gold wasn't already a nonissue.   
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 01:53:51 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

There's different floaty heads? I thought those were just model differences or something because it seemed their abilities were generally interchangeable. Then again I didn't check each of them to see what they actually did. The main issue with killing him was that he was either guarded by one of them, healed by one of them every other turn or just did lifesteal to negate most of the damage I did to him while also mauling one of my squishier guys. Still, stacking blight with poison darts eventually paid off and he took a bunch of DoT that wore him down.

Also one thing that I kinda noticed but can't really confirm for sure is that certain critters just love targeting your most stressed dude. It's really unnerving when your Vestal is hidden behind three guys and rather stressed out because you just had to douse that human skin with holy water and gets hit by those maggot bastards several times in a row, even when she's only doing healing and no attacking whatsoever.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

WTF Is... - Darkest Dungeon ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-spazTn-4U

Holy crap, what a glowing review, but one I agree with. I find he echoed a lot of my sentiments. Early access people were annoyed because they'd found a way to basically exploit the game, and the developers countered that. Maybe that's what all the complaining about the game being made harder and harder and catering to the hardcore crowd were?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've learned how unreasonable the community can be when developing a game.

Often you get people who basically want you to make their game... and that isn't bad... but when they go against anything that even slightly hurts it.

Though I did say Toady shouldn't have made Goblins not need to eat.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Maybe that's what all the complaining about the game being made harder and harder and catering to the hardcore crowd were?
No, I don't think so. I came in well after that addition, and I still have felt that way. I don't mind exploits being taken out, but there is a difference between that and arbitrarily reducing your odds of success.

There's probably a little from both. Which is one reason why I like the configurable stuff in the Options menu.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile

Maybe that's what all the complaining about the game being made harder and harder and catering to the hardcore crowd were?
No, I don't think so. I came in well after that addition, and I still have felt that way. I don't mind exploits being taken out, but there is a difference between that and arbitrarily reducing your odds of success.

There's probably a little from both. Which is one reason why I like the configurable stuff in the Options menu.

I felt the same, removed a lot of options (lost a hero in a party at full health to 3 crits in one turn). I started micromanaging before embark, going through my roster to unequip trinkets and starting to slap rare ones on level 1s that I chose because of their quirks related to the area of the most common enemy, and wow the game stopped being hard. Seriously a button to remove all the trinkets from the heroes a la x-com would do a lot of good.

It's like the grind, the devs straight up gave the tactic to level up a hero in one go, but giving the tip ingame would have helped.

I'm still hitting a brick wall where the level 3s cannot do a thing because of the lack of upgrades but at least I can challenge the first bosses.

Honestly I think most of the complaints is because they had a beta during early access and suddenly it changed. If it stayed the same, they'd cry that the devs abandoned the game the exploits are not fixed and yada yada. That's why I would never use early access to release a game, and I sure as hell won't use steam for that, it's a terrible community.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 05:12:13 pm by Boltgun »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 101