Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 219219 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

In my experience, trying to out-heal enemies is a lost cause except at the very end of a fight or for death's door bouncing. Even if you can outpace their DPS, which you usually can't, they'll usually find ways to apply stress to you that makes the long haul a lost cause anyway.

Note that I haven't experimented with it very much, though. Might work out better with houndmaster/man-at-arms guarding, for instance.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I personally find vestals useful for the self heal attack and the stun.  Actual healing I only ever do when I can stun-lock the last enemies in a party, otherwise it's for bouncing people off of deaths door.
Nom nom nom

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I take the Vestal not just for the healing but the utility they tend to have in their kit beyond that. The healing is there to keep people from hittings deaths door, but relying on it alone is a good way to get killed.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Most parties I run have an Occultist. There's a small risk of getting fucked over, but average healing per turn seems to be strong enough to almost keep pace with most enemies, even at level 5. You still risk getting fucked over by a bad roll, and Giants (and the Swine King/God) hit hard enough that keeping pace is almost impossible if you're actually getting hit, and over the course of a long dungeon you'll still get slowly ground down, but it does basically work. One or two support characters can make it very hard to die, but it'll also make every battle very long (usually 6+ rounds for anything but low-health enemies like spiders and dogs).

Plus, Occultists can also use the Weakening Curse if everybody's already reasonably topped off, and that goes a long way toward preventing unexpected deaths. Nothing hits very hard at -80% damage.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

I once had a whole party that got virtued. I beat a Swine God with lvl 3s. I felt majestic as fuck.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Release Trailer is out. It contains a few glimmers of the last dungeon, so if you want to remain spoiler-free, you shouldn't watch it.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Kickstarter Trailers were better than that, IMO. Yea yea, it's just the blitz "we're releasing" mashup trailer you'd expect but, the original couple trailers had really great pacing and timing. That's what helped pull people in. You're not really getting that with the release trailer. Just a ton of screen shake and stuff happening out of context.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WELL THANKS. THE GAMES RUINED

jk

But seriously how do you expect someone to NOT click on that link?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:41:53 pm by LordPorkins »
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Really A Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, I lost a full party of level 6s with a shitload of my best gear, but I ain't even too mad about it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I cant wait to get home and play it. Oh, imagine the quotes Mr. Ancestor is going to arouse our ears with next.

((There needs to be a rap battle between Ancestor and Morgan Freeman. The Halo Announcer could referee.))
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So what's the consensus on the game as released? Seems praise was less than unanimous during late Early Access. Also how finished is it? I know some games come out of EA with a ton of near future planned content on the way.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

So what's the consensus on the game as released? Seems praise was less than unanimous during late Early Access. Also how finished is it? I know some games come out of EA with a ton of near future planned content on the way.
I'd say it's pretty good. Balance is fine, I think, although early game can be rough due to heavy reliance on rng and rng loves to be a prick.

As far as content goes I think it's mostly finished. The only major thing that's missing is the final dungeon. The game is definitely in what I'd consider a playable state worth money. If you really want to play it, go for it. If you're not sure if you want to buy it, I suggest waiting for it go on sale at some point. I pretty much always recommend waiting for games to go on sale before buying, though. :v
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

The final dungeon is in, man, that happened yesterday. Unless there's something I'm missing. There's still the Merchant class to be added, though.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, and its impossible. No, seriously. We are talking speed-running Dark Souls 2 with no deaths type difficulty. Enjoy!
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

SPOILERS IN TRANSPARENT, HIGHLIGHT AT OWN RISK

I dunno, you just need to optimize hardcore toward stress management and survival over brute offense and have a party that can function despite constant shuffling, at least from my one run. I might've pulled it off, if I'd bothered checking on the changes to camping skills (Man-at-Arms got a whole lot less incredible, but I didn't notice until I was already in camp and was wondering why I ran out of time midway through my usual routine).

Spoiler: Strategy (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 101